Silverton-Ouray - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Silverton-Ouray

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #31
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ogun View Post
Finally got photos together and produced a video of the trip from July when raceingchester and I were there at the same time.

Video is little over 11 min.

A lot more rain that usual, but made for different views etc. Topping out Imogene in the rain cloud was a little dicey, visibility less than 30 feet.

I think this is by far, best trip I have ever done to the area.

Link to youtube below, when the video starts, make sure to change view to large screen and adjust volume.

For whatever reason, you get a message that the link cannot be found, so just click on the Green Bar at the top of the message to start the video.

Enjoy, Ride Hard, Tread Lightly.........Dif

Nice video. What trails would you say were your favorites out of all the ones you did?

I am planning a trip but prob only spending one full day down there before heading back to the city.

Trying to mix in off-road with foliage viewing. Thanks.

Also - do you remember how long some of these trails took? Imogene, Ophir, Engineer Passes in specific.

turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #32
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
Nice video. What trails would you say were your favorites out of all the ones you did?

I am planning a trip but prob only spending one full day down there before heading back to the city.

Trying to mix in off-road with foliage viewing. Thanks.

Also - do you remember how long some of these trails took? Imogene, Ophir, Engineer Passes in specific.
Gee, only one day?
I have often said that, all things considered, Imogene Pass is one of the best. Again, ALL THINGS CONSIDERED. Each pass or trail is special. But if I had only one day to spend there, I would chose Imogene.

About 12 miles, depending on how many times you stop, 3 - 4 hours. Equally good from Telluride or Ouray, and you can return on good paved road (Hwy 62 and 145) (and at night if need be)via Ridgeway. If you want to mix foliage, you could couple Imogene with Last Dollar Trail. Last Dollar never gets above the timber line, and is a very pretty trail through rolling hills, and meadows. The two trails would make a good days trip.

Imogene has many good things:
Imogene Pass is the second highest, drivable pass in Colorado, About 12 waterfalls, numerous over looks, switchbacks, shelf roads. Also a unique look at part of Black Bear trail, more exact the Last step of the steps and the switchbacks of Black Bear pass. (see video 6:11-6:15) Mucho mining history along the way (note the yellow tug from the video, shot at Lower Bird Camp, see video 5:12), mining ruins, stands of aspen trees, probably no wildflower this late in the year.

Make sure to go to the overlook east of the Summit, East of the summit, is a "t" in the trail, to the east of that "t" is an overlook, from which you can seen the corkscrew of Corkscrew pass as well as sections of hwy 550 (Million dollar hwy), see video 2:12.

Hope this helps,

Ride Hard, Tread Lightly
Dif.
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.