Silverton-Ouray - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Silverton-Ouray

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #16
racingchester
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got back to Phoenix on the 31st. Only ran Kendall in the jeep. Son-in-law has a 4 seater RZR and we ran about all the other trails. Was fun but I would rather do it in the Jeep. Maybe next year....

racingchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Any pics?
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
racingchester
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unhappy Silverton

Have pix on my phone but being an old guy don't know how to post them from the phone.
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingchester View Post
Have pix on my phone but being an old guy don't know how to post them from the phone.
Download the Photobucket app, upload the photos to Photobucket, once uploaded they will give you a "link" that you can copy and paste here. Pics will then show up once you post the link.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
mark090852

I have a question that I hope some of you locals can answer for me. My wife and I are going to be in the Silverton area the first week in October. Unfortunately I will be in a rental vehicle. Supposedly a "mid sized SUV". I have done the Imogene Pass from Ouray to Telluride many times in a Wranger, but have never driven the Ophir Pass in either direction. Do you think it would be reasonable for us to take a rental Mid Size SUV up to the Ophir Pass? I can't risk any damage to the rental vehicle. If you think it is okay to try, from which direction should I drive it? Thanks in advance for any recommendations and advice.
mark090852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
racingchester
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ophir should not be a problem. Ran over it with a 2000Yukon a few years ago. It is more like a highway...I think...Yah you have to look out for rocks. The only place you might have trouble is the switchback at the top, but that may not even be an issue. Like I said ran it 3 years ago and it could be different. Have ran it both ways with out any issues......
Unread 08-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #22
racingchester
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Will see what I can do with the pix....Thanks
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #23
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark090852 View Post
I have a question that I hope some of you locals can answer for me. My wife and I are going to be in the Silverton area the first week in October. Unfortunately I will be in a rental vehicle. Supposedly a "mid sized SUV". I have done the Imogene Pass from Ouray to Telluride many times in a Wranger, but have never driven the Ophir Pass in either direction. Do you think it would be reasonable for us to take a rental Mid Size SUV up to the Ophir Pass? I can't risk any damage to the rental vehicle. If you think it is okay to try, from which direction should I drive it? Thanks in advance for any recommendations and advice.
I recommend running Ophir from East (off Rt 550) to West (to Rt 145). A little tight in places, narrow, but ground clearance should not be a problem in any stock SUV. At the summit, be sure to scan the shelf road all the way down before proceeding. Even though it is a two-way trail, there is no room to pass once on the shelf road.

Then take Imogene from Telluride to Ouray. Ground clearance is a little more important here, but it sounds like you know that trail. This is a pretty popular loop, even with stock rental Wranglers. In short, Ophir doesn't demand much ground clearance. Imogene requires some...

If you need more info, let me know.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #24
racingchester
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I agree east to west is best. Once you reach the top you can see whats coming up along ways away.
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #25
mark090852

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dog View Post
I recommend running Ophir from East (off Rt 550) to West (to Rt 145). A little tight in places, narrow, but ground clearance should not be a problem in any stock SUV. At the summit, be sure to scan the shelf road all the way down before proceeding. Even though it is a two-way trail, there is no room to pass once on the shelf road.

Then take Imogene from Telluride to Ouray. Ground clearance is a little more important here, but it sounds like you know that trail. This is a pretty popular loop, even with stock rental Wranglers. In short, Ophir doesn't demand much ground clearance. Imogene requires some...

If you need more info, let me know.
Thanks everyone, for all the info. One more question. Because of time restraints, I may drive up to the Ophir Pass from the east side, and then come back down the same way. Is there plenty of space to turn around at the top? Kind of like Imogene?
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #26
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark090852 View Post
I have a question that I hope some of you locals can answer for me. My wife and I are going to be in the Silverton area the first week in October. .
You may have a problem with snow. Opher and Imogene will have snow at the summit by then, question is how much.

I would email the forest service and get their advise for travel through those passes that late into the year.

Most of the passes close during the winter due to snow and ice, this year Opher was not open until the first part of May and Imogene the first part of June.

Back to the same question, as to how early they (usually) close.

As to SUV, if open you should be fine on Opher, but I would not try Imogene without AT LEAST a high clearance vehicle.

I traveled both passes last week. You may have some tight spots if you have to pass another vehicle on Opher, still doable.

Imogene has some very rough spots on the first part on the Telluride side and some very bad spots on the north side of the summit down to Upper bird camp. Passing is also a problem on the north side in an SUV. A jeep had blown a tire on the shelf above Upper Bird camp and I barely got by (2 inch clearance) with my jeep. Could not have been done with a SUV.

I would recommend checking on the weather conditions first, and would not do Imogene at all.

Sorry to be more objective than positive. I would really like to tell you to go for it.
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #27
mark090852

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ogun View Post
You may have a problem with snow. Opher and Imogene will have snow at the summit by then, question is how much.

I would email the forest service and get their advise for travel through those passes that late into the year.

Most of the passes close during the winter due to snow and ice, this year Opher was not open until the first part of May and Imogene the first part of June.

Back to the same question, as to how early they (usually) close.

As to SUV, if open you should be fine on Opher, but I would not try Imogene without AT LEAST a high clearance vehicle.

I traveled both passes last week. You may have some tight spots if you have to pass another vehicle on Opher, still doable.

Imogene has some very rough spots on the first part on the Telluride side and some very bad spots on the north side of the summit down to Upper bird camp. Passing is also a problem on the north side in an SUV. A jeep had blown a tire on the shelf above Upper Bird camp and I barely got by (2 inch clearance) with my jeep. Could not have been done with a SUV.

I would recommend checking on the weather conditions first, and would not do Imogene at all.

Sorry to be more objective than positive. I would really like to tell you to go for it.
Thanks for the info. I have driven Imogene several times in the past with a lifted Wrangler, but would definitely not do it in a rental vehicle. I remember it well. And so does my wife! I enjoyed it but in a few places it scared the bejeebers out of her! And you are right about the snow. I will have to pay close attention to the weather and conditions. If there is snow at the top, I'll skip Ophir. Thanks again for the advice.
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #28
Justin04Lj

Ive done imogene twice and remember it being one of the easiest trails there.
Justin04Lj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #29
3Dog

If you are going in early October, I would put good money on there being no snow yet on Ophir - at least not enough to stop you. And yes, there is room at the summit to turn around (but not as much room as Imogene...). I say go for it...but worth checking that day on the Bushducks site if you have any doubts.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #30
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got photos together and produced a video of the trip from July when raceingchester and I were there at the same time.

Video is little over 11 min.

A lot more rain that usual, but made for different views etc. Topping out Imogene in the rain cloud was a little dicey, visibility less than 30 feet.

I think this is by far, best trip I have ever done to the area.

Link to youtube below, when the video starts, make sure to change view to large screen and adjust volume.

For whatever reason, you get a message that the link cannot be found, so just click on the Green Bar at the top of the message to start the video.

Enjoy, Ride Hard, Tread Lightly.........Dif

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.