September Co, Trip. - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-07-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
cowstick
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 348
Garage
September Co, Trip.

Hello everyone, I'm a fellow Jeeper from Minnesota. I'm planning a trip to Telluride/Ouray and Northern Colorado (Estes/Boulder) get some Badges of Honor, in September and am looking for some advice and some people to wheel with.

My plan is to arrive sometime on Thursday Sept. 7th in Telluride/Ouray and wheel through the weekend. Friday and Saturday in Telluride/Ouray, Sunday and Monday in Boulder/Estes Park.

For Fri and Sat I want to hit all the Badge of Honor Trails in the area. I am looking for tent camping suggestions around this area. Also, I am looking to get together with some people/Jeep Club to do these trails.
Black Bear Pass
Imogene Pass
Ophir Pass
Engineer Pass
Poughkeepsie Gulch


For Sun and Mon I will be meeting up with some Co Workers in Longmont to do these trails and others they want to show me.
Pole Hill
Johnny Park Rd.
Middle St. Vrain

My experience is in moderate trails and obstacles here in Minnesota and I would love to build on the experience in Colorado.

Specs on my Jeep.

2013 Jk Sport
3 inch BDS lift
34.5 inch Duratracs
Quick release Sway bar links
Upgraded bumpers and 9500 Smitybilt Winch
3.21 gears
No lockers

Will I need a special tag/licence for off roading? We need one in MN for the State run parks. Are there any "MUST GO" place eat in Telluride/Ouray area? What are some "MUST DO/Bucket List" things to do other than Off Roading?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.


"Victory is our reward for all the blood we spill" - Amon Amarth
cowstick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 08-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Jr68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western Slope of Colorado
Posts: 2
You don't need any special licenses. Can't help with food or camping, but look up ws4w.com, they are a club out of Montrose and I bet they could give you some good information. May even have some members that would go with you, I know they are very active in this area.
Jr68 is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 08-09-2017, 12:18 PM
1longcj
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 344
I'm leaving tonight for Ouray. Hoping to do some of those same trails with the Colorado Four Wheelers. Will try to answer some of your questions when I return.
1longcj is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 08-11-2017, 10:03 AM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 7,463
Just got back from Ouray on Tuesday.

4 days of actual wheelin:

Yankee Boy Basin
Governor Basin
Black Bear Pass
Imogene Pass
Mineral Creek
Poughkeepsie Gulch
Hurricane Pass
Corkscrew Gulch
Porphyr Gulch

Stayed at the KOA - tent camping. Great trip we had. I would recommend tent camping there - nice sites; shower/bath house; fire wood available for purchase; ice available for purchase; breakfast available............look em up and book early. Don't stay in Montrose as that will leave you almost 50 miles from the trailheads you are interested in.

The KOA is 6 miles south of Ridgeway and 4 miles north of Ouray on 550. Get any groceries/supplies you want for camp at home and transport or bring minimal stuff and hit the Mountain Market in Ridgeway. Don't plan on utilizing the Duckett's Market in Ouray - it is more like a convenient store.

Trails -

For starters - if you've never driven mountain trails be prepared for steep and narrow ledge roads. This is perhaps the most intimidating thing about mountain trails - tight clearance and 1000s of feet down on one or both sides. Your first time you do this it will have some pucker factor just remember that rigs with full width Dana 60s are running the same trails.

Black Bear and Imogene make an excellent loop but plan on a long day. In fact - 2 days doesn't give you enough time to run all the trails on your list - but Black Bear Imogene would be a must. Take 2 cold beers with you - when you reach the Pass on Imogene there should be a beer in the mailbox. The tradition is to drink the beer in the mailbox ONLY if you put a new one back in. I say take 2 because if there isn't one you can drink one and leave one for the next Jeepers.

Ophir Pass - from the KOA the trailhead is 5 1/2 miles south of the Black Bear trail head and Ophir is better than 10 miles long leaving you with needing to get back east to the camp site........so another long day.

Engineer Pass - if you take this it is around 20 miles long and puts you in Lake City with the option to backtrack or just take Cinnamon Pass back for a day on the Alpine Loop. Again, that loop is an all day trek as the mileage will rack up.

Poughkeepsie Gulch - this is probably the most difficult and technical trail in the area. You use the same trailhead entrance as Engineer Pass (south out of Ouray for about 5 miles and the trailhead entrance is on your left - clearly marked). From this direction you will run Poughkeepsie uphill - which is the challenging way to run it. You start on Mineral Creek and it becomes Poughkeepsie - fantastic trail! The final obstacle is "the wall" which then leads out to Hurricane Pass and Corkscrew Gulch - all this takes you back out to 550 at Ironton (further south of the spot you started but north of Black Bear trailhead). At "the wall" there are winch points - you will likely need them but give it a couple tries. You can run this exact network downhill starting from Ironton but it will not be as challenging.

I would highly recommend getting a Funtreks Colorado trail guide book (Amazon ~$27) as well as searching youtube for a video that explains saving maps on google maps for offline use. This literally turns your cellphone into a GPS tracker even when you have no signal.

<----- a great video that explains it well


I hope you find all this helpful and have a great trip and safe travels!

~Mike~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 08-11-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
cowstick
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 348
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
Just got back from Ouray on Tuesday. 4 days of actual wheelin: Yankee Boy Basin Governor Basin Black Bear Pass Imogene Pass Mineral Creek Poughkeepsie Gulch Hurricane Pass Corkscrew Gulch Porphyr Gulch Stayed at the KOA - tent camping. Great trip we had. I would recommend tent camping there - nice sites; shower/bath house; fire wood available for purchase; ice available for purchase; breakfast available............look em up and book early. Don't stay in Montrose as that will leave you almost 50 miles from the trailheads you are interested in. The KOA is 6 miles south of Ridgeway and 4 miles north of Ouray on 550. Get any groceries/supplies you want for camp at home and transport or bring minimal stuff and hit the Mountain Market in Ridgeway. Don't plan on utilizing the Duckett's Market in Ouray - it is more like a convenient store. Trails - For starters - if you've never driven mountain trails be prepared for steep and narrow ledge roads. This is perhaps the most intimidating thing about mountain trails - tight clearance and 1000s of feet down on one or both sides. Your first time you do this it will have some pucker factor just remember that rigs with full width Dana 60s are running the same trails. Black Bear and Imogene make an excellent loop but plan on a long day. In fact - 2 days doesn't give you enough time to run all the trails on your list - but Black Bear Imogene would be a must. Take 2 cold beers with you - when you reach the Pass on Imogene there should be a beer in the mailbox. The tradition is to drink the beer in the mailbox ONLY if you put a new one back in. I say take 2 because if there isn't one you can drink one and leave one for the next Jeepers. Ophir Pass - from the KOA the trailhead is 5 1/2 miles south of the Black Bear trail head and Ophir is better than 10 miles long leaving you with needing to get back east to the camp site........so another long day. Engineer Pass - if you take this it is around 20 miles long and puts you in Lake City with the option to backtrack or just take Cinnamon Pass back for a day on the Alpine Loop. Again, that loop is an all day trek as the mileage will rack up. Poughkeepsie Gulch - this is probably the most difficult and technical trail in the area. You use the same trailhead entrance as Engineer Pass (south out of Ouray for about 5 miles and the trailhead entrance is on your left - clearly marked). From this direction you will run Poughkeepsie uphill - which is the challenging way to run it. You start on Mineral Creek and it becomes Poughkeepsie - fantastic trail! The final obstacle is "the wall" which then leads out to Hurricane Pass and Corkscrew Gulch - all this takes you back out to 550 at Ironton (further south of the spot you started but north of Black Bear trailhead). At "the wall" there are winch points - you will likely need them but give it a couple tries. You can run this exact network downhill starting from Ironton but it will not be as challenging. I would highly recommend getting a Funtreks Colorado trail guide book (Amazon ~$27) as well as searching youtube for a video that explains saving maps on google maps for offline use. This literally turns your cellphone into a GPS tracker even when you have no signal. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KmQeyq0BSE <----- a great video that explains it well I hope you find all this helpful and have a great trip and safe travels!
this is very insightful, thank you so much. The book comes tomorrow. Ive got the one for Northern Colorado. I decided to stay at Alta Lake Campground.

"Victory is our reward for all the blood we spill" - Amon Amarth
cowstick is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 08-12-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
cowstick
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 348
Garage
The book got here. I've been doing some back and forth between Google and the book for distances and times. Here is what the plan looks like to get all the trails done in the time I have.

Day One Friday
Start in Lake City
Engineer Pass to Poughkeepsie Gulch
Poughkeepsie Gulch to Hurricane Pass
Hurricane Pass to Corkscrew Gulch
Take 550 to Ophir
Ophir Pass to Alta Lake Campground
Make camp and Pass out.

Day Two Saturday
Alta Lake Campground to Imogene Pass
Imogene Pass to Ouray
Take 550 to Black Bear Pass
Black Bear Pass to Telluride

After that Ill make my way to Longmont meet up with my coworkers on Sunday

"Victory is our reward for all the blood we spill" - Amon Amarth
cowstick is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 08-16-2017, 03:25 PM
irnmadn88
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,805
For the Northern Colorado leg. Link has road status, phone # for more up to date info, and a link to the MVUM map.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/r...telprdb5339508

I recommend Colorado Boy Brewery in Ridgway.

http://www.coloradoboy.com/ridgway

Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
irnmadn88 is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 08-16-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
cowstick
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 348
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmadn88
For the Northern Colorado leg. Link has road status, phone # for more up to date info, and a link to the MVUM map. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/r...telprdb5339508 I recommend Colorado Boy Brewery in Ridgway. http://www.coloradoboy.com/ridgway
Thanks, what do you think of Oskar Blues? I was thinking about hitting them up.

"Victory is our reward for all the blood we spill" - Amon Amarth
cowstick is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 08-16-2017, 07:14 PM
churchofjt
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowstick View Post
Thanks, what do you think of Oskar Blues? I was thinking about hitting them up.
A world of "yes". I love the food at all their locations and their beer is also good if you're into that.
churchofjt is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 08-17-2017, 04:51 PM
irnmadn88
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,805
Stay tuned on Middle St. Vrain...

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/n...d=FSEPRD555451

Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
irnmadn88 is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 08-18-2017, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
cowstick
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 348
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmadn88
Thanks for the heads up.

"Victory is our reward for all the blood we spill" - Amon Amarth
cowstick is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 08-18-2017, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
cowstick
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 348
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchofjt
A world of "yes". I love the food at all their locations and their beer is also good if you're into that.
Nice, I'll make sure to check them out.

"Victory is our reward for all the blood we spill" - Amon Amarth
cowstick is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 08-18-2017, 10:01 AM
1longcj
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 344
My Ouray tip is to air down. The trails, which are mostly rocky shelf roads, can be a rough ride. Airing down makes for a much smoother day.
1longcj is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 08-18-2017, 12:25 PM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 7,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1longcj View Post
My offroad tip is to air down. Airing down makes for a much smoother day.
^^^ FIFY

~Mike~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 08-18-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
cowstick
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 348
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
^^^ FIFY
Yup! Got my ARB deflator on order.

"Victory is our reward for all the blood we spill" - Amon Amarth
cowstick is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome