Rubicon Unlimited re gear question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Rubicon Unlimited re gear question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 09-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
chrisg19

Jk Rubicon Unlimited re gear question

New to Jeeps coming from an FJ Cruiser. Love the Rubicon, but the stock gearing is killing me on the hills of Highway 70.

I have a 2011 JK Unlimited Rubicon, and am thinking I will be keeping it stock as far as tires, and lifts go. I have read the charts, but was looking for some opinions as to the best gear ratio for the stock Rubi negotiating the I-70 passes and such. I live in the Littleton area, and will be traversing those hills often come ski season, and can't stand the constant transmission hunting.

Is 5.38 overkill in the stock Rubi? Should I look 5.13? Any reviews are appreciated.

By the way I love the Rubicon, it fits my needs very well, just have to figure out the re gear.

Thanks for any info

chrisg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Way overkill if you are going to keep it stock. Stock is 4.10, if anything go 4:56 or 4:88.

My wife's JK Unlimited Rubi has no problems with the hills. Granted it won't go 80 but it does fine. The fact is the engine is just not very powerful. Personally I'd look at the programmers before re-gearing if keeping the stock size tires.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Which tranny do you have? The 4 sp auto?
Jim
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
chrisg19

Yes, sorry it is the 4 speed auto. I thought I was going overkill with the 5.xx, but it is a good deal of money to pay to re gear a new vehicle, and I just wanted to be sure I went far enough so as not to keep hunting gears on those long uphills. Thanks for any input.
chrisg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same tranny in my TJ and with 33" tires when I regear it will be to 4.88 which is the lowest I can go with a d30 front axle.
I have heard several Rubi owners with the 4 sp auto say they are happy with 5.13's but all of them are running bigger than stock tires.
I think your decision should be based on your eventual tire size. Are you SURE you will stick with stock size tires or a little bigger? If so I'd be thinking 4.88 - maybe 5.13. If you do regear and you feel it's too low then you can up your tire size with a small lift to compensate. The JK's seem to be more versatile with these things than the TJ.

Maybe just ask in the JK forums and see what feedback you get.

With my 33's and 3.73 gears I keep my OD off most of the time. Can't wait to regear.
Jim

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.