Rock Climbers??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Rock Climbers???

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-04-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rock Climbers???

Any of you guys rock climbers? Melody and I just got into it. We have been hitting indoor walls for the past several weeks (our gym has one we can do for free) and have really been enjoying it. They have lines that are ~5.8 through 5.13, so I figure it is pretty good training.

Everyone has been raving about Castlewood Canyon about an hour south of here. I was wondering if any of you guys ever head out there? I'm thinking about loading up on gear for Christmas and start heading out on the weekends we are not offroading/snowboarding (when it warms up a little).

It is not nearly as expensive as I remember to get into. I was sixteen when I use to climb down south.. I guess everything is expensive for a 16 year old.

Breakdown for those interested-

Climbing kit at REI (harness, carabiner, belay device, chalk bag, chalk) $90
Rope $175
Shoes $60

Then you just head for the mountains!

Any interest?

REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My fiance and I like to climb. We haven't done too much outdoors, as we don't have the equipment or experience yet, but we hit the indoor gyms. There's a huge one on 92nd and Washington in Thornton that we like to go to.

It is relatively inexpensive though, which is a huge plus. She used to work at an outdoor store, so she got my harness and shoes for like $30, when it normally would have been about $120. I do need to go to REI or something and get some more stuff...my chalk bag is dead and I need a new one, and I need more carabiners and a new belay rig.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I used to rock climb & miss it a lot. Great way to kick your bodies ***
Unread 12-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
EndoRice
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well, ice-climbing season has started, so that's my current climbing desire.

I've only climbed once in Castlewood Canyon, there are a lot of good climbs in there, including some good bolted top-roping opportunities.

$175 for a rope is a little high. Don't get in a hurry, watch the sales at REI, or watch the ropes at Sierra Trading Post (google for it).

Quote:
Then you just head for the mountains!
I'm guessing you realize there's a WHOLE lot more to safe climbing than that!

Have fun! Climb safe!
EndoRice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

There is a lot of safety you need to learn. Picking safe lines if you plan on dropping a rope down or if you plan on leading thats a whole slew of equipment and safety knowledge you'll need right there.
Unread 12-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Haha.. It is my wife who is unexpereinced. I am very familiar with the safety procedures -granted, it has been 8 or 9 years.

I used to climb a lot. Never lead climbed, but don't really intend to. I'm all about some top rope though. That is all I have done, and what I am doing right now (inside). I have taken several safety courses, and will be taking them over again with my wife.

I want a little longer rope. thus the higher price. I have been watching the REI sales, that is where I got my price from. 70m+ ropes have been hard to find locally on the cheap.
Unread 12-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #7
Naturalhoosier
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER
Haha.. It is my wife who is unexpereinced.
FAMOUS LAST WORDS.

R.I.P. Jay. I can just see your epitaph..."He lies the best caliper painter, scratch buffer, bumper cleaner around. You will be missed."

j/k

My Ride: 1998 GC Limited
Colorado Jeep Club Member #15
Black Jeep Club Member #1976

Make the world a better place, punch a Boilermaker in the face!!!

Don't blame me...I didn't vote for him.
Naturalhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

R.I.P Jay

I think that might be my new sig!

Maybe I will just stick to the jungle gym.. at least the kids there respect me
Unread 12-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
dnrisden
Rise of the Silver Slinky

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Rocks are for JEEPS silly.
dnrisden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #10
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

I've been trying to get back into it. When I was growing up there was an 80' face right behind the house that my brother and I would climb on every day. Most of that was freeclimbing though. I haven't climbed in probably 10 years, and I don't have the equipment anymore. I actually asked for a gift certificate to REI for x-mas with the intention of buying new equipment, so we'll see what happens after that!
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.