Resewing a soft top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Resewing a soft top?

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 08-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
dukwakr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Resewing a soft top?

Hey guys so the zipper for the passenger side rear window is ripping out in my supertop, and I don't want to buy a whole new top so I was wondering of they could be resewn?

dukwakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Peterson Canvas in Fort Collins has done a lot of work for me on various items. Sometimes the wait is kind of long though.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
RAAB3485
Viewer Discretion Advised

2004 WJ 

If the none of the fabric is torn, and the stitching just came out, you can do what I have done in the past, and actually just bought the supplies to do to my current top (top drivers side corner of back window's stitching is coming out). Go to hobby lobby, and buy a thing of cross stitch thread and a set of the biggest sewing needles you can find, and re-stitch it yourself using a set of pliers to feed the needle through the fabric (you can do it by hand, but the fabric is so tough you will get blisters if you sew for any appreciable amount of time). Worked like a champ for me before, and is way cheaper than getting it professionally re-done. Plus if I understand your post, it sounds like you have the same thing going on as I do, and since it's under the flap of the top it doesn't have to be real pretty, just functional.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1
RAAB3485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
dukwakr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks I guess I'll do it myself and save the money then
dukwakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'd still recommend talking to the canvas shop. I have had repairs be as cheap as $20.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
RAAB3485
Viewer Discretion Advised

2004 WJ 

I suppose it would depend on the "distance" needed for the repair. When I did mine I ended up having to sew about 4 total feet so that's why I went the route I did. I suppose if it was just a few inches it might not be too bad.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1
RAAB3485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.