Repairing the damage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Repairing the damage

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 08-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Repairing the damage

I have started repairing the damage I incured at Hidden valley.

Not sure if a new hood is in the near future . So spent a while with scratch remover rub and rubbing compound and it looks better. Got a hammer and shoe to it and am working on the dents.

The windshield frame is a different subject.

I think I will see if the bend in this one can be worked with. We were able to get a good amount of the bend out but will retry and see what happens.

The rubber wetherstripping/seal that holds in the glass is in rough shape.

I thought I should take to a glass shop and see what they say about the windshield frame and it holding glass in the future.

Also a tera low is comming this week so that will have to be delt with, might as well do it in this repair. I might be down for a couple weeks...right in the heart of the season.

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
RollerHman
BMW drivers are ****s

1999 XJ Cherokee 

that hood is looking 100x better! hopefully the windshield frame is able to be put back in shape.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #46

99 XJ
98 BMW 328is
RollerHman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
dnrisden
Rise of the Silver Slinky

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Tom, If you can get a clamp on the pinch weld you could finish working it out. If you have a long metal straight edge you can check it to make sure it is straight. Let me know if you need help with it. I have a little experience with that stuff.

Later,

Don
dnrisden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Don,

I've taken the frame off the jeep and moved to the workshop(basement), where I have a big bench vise and air conditioning. I've gotten most of the smash out of the frame by drilling holes in the top and hammering out the dent, and pulling on the top at the same time.
I will take it to a glass place as soon as I'm close. The rubber seal is in tough shape, it is 3 peices, I think it is only supose to be 2.
The glass places are a...racket...to be kind. I called a few and was quoted $196.30 by them all, to the penny. Just replaced a windshield in a classic '73 Fiat and paid $196.30 for it. Makes you wonder???
Unread 08-20-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
froggo27
2004 WJ 

what in the world happened? Did your hand give out this time?....sorry bad joke.

04 WJ Limited
My Trail Pics!!

froggo27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
MuDD OlllllllO

Hey man, for having your jeep crash into a tree, I would say it is looking pretty good!

Why not just replace the windshield frame? They aren't that expensive, are they?

The hood looks really good.
33" Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers
Rubicon Rocker Guards, MasterFlow OBA
MuDD OlllllllO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Would a u-pull lot have any YJs?
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #8
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I made some calls...
There appears NOT to be a junk YJ anywhere in town. Used Yj parts are worth thier weight in gold.
I saw a used one on ebay with glass in it, but it was prolly going to sell for more than a new one would, don't understand this...

A new frame is about $200 with $125 shipping and $150 for paint. Glass is another $200, the rubber weartherstripping is another $100. Thats damm near $800.
Aren't credit cards sweet?
Unread 08-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got some good news yesterday...

Took the windshield frame to Elite auto glass, and they said the frame is fine. It will hold glass just fine. It just needs a bit more tweaking.
This saves me cash.
They also told me NOT to get new weatherstripping that is all messed up, as they won't re-use it anyhow, the cost of install includes this.
This also saves me cash.

I might be able to get back on the road for cheap.
The cost of a windshield and a few little piddily crap things(windshield wiper, etc)

A big problem now is a rear view mirror, these babie are $$ and not sold in singles.

My fancy Poison spyder roll cage took quite a hit, I think it took the brunt of the impact. It is just a bit tweaked.
Who says roll cages are not worth having?? (even without rolling.)
The damage might of been worse without the cage. The cage around the windshield saved the jeep from ???
Unread 08-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #10
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Definitely good news Tom. The Molly repercussions could have been very bad if you didn't have the cage. I'm sure there would have been quite a bit more debris flying around the cab
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.