Red Cone, need some guidence - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Red Cone, need some guidence

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Red Cone, need some guidence

I am going to do Red Cone on Saturday. A couple of things:

#1) It seems that there are a couple of ways to do this trip, but most seem to go up Red Cone, then down the big decnt an onto Webster Pass which should drop me out in Montezuma... My question is...Is this the best (or only way) to do this run?

#2) Is it worth it to peel off on Handcart Gulch Trail and do that one? It looks like it is an "out-and-back" trail and doesnt loop into anything? Is this correct?

#3) It is supposed to be a little rainy on Saturday. Has anyone done Red Cone when its a little wet? Seems like the steep decent would be the only thing to cause issues? I have a lifted '12 JKU with MTR's, so I am not on stock highway tires or anything.

Thanks for any guidence/advice you have. I am looking forward to it!

Brightwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I will prolly be going up Red cone on Sat also. Trying to deal with the Sunday traffic is imposible.

Red Cone is high. You will need be OFF the mountain BEFORE the thunderstorms move in. You can be down in the valley, but if you get caught up on either Red Cone or Radical hill and Middle St. Johns when the weather happens...yeah, good luck.
There are a few ways down. depending on how much driving you want do. You can get to Brekengridge from Red cone if you want.

Go early, rather than later.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
bcsublime

Did webster/ radical hill on Tuesday. Didn't do red cone because of a downed tree that I couldn't get under with my xj. Most jeeps can get under it, I was just too tall. I took swan creek to SOB hill and came out over Georgia pass into Jefferson. Leave early for sure. I live in Bailey and traffic is a nightmare on weekends. I flagged my route on another app if interested, with pics
bcsublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
bcsublime

Also, red cone is one way. You have to start on the entrance off of park county rd 60
bcsublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
ncb

Red Cone is a cool trail. Not sure about doing it in the rain.
image-3434990801.jpg   image-2210730812.jpg  
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Weather forecast for this weekend isn't good-I would NOT want to be exposed up on that mountain in any kind of weather!
Might want to wait for another day...
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Did red cone yesterday - it was awesome! 65 degrees and sunny at the top with maybe a 10mph wind, just perfect. We saw all of the goats and some new babies. I will post some pics up when I get them downloaded into the computer.
Brightwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 03:53 AM   #8
03saharajeeper

This might be a little late, but did red cone on the 14 th. The downed tree is no longer blocking the trail. Rained and hailed a little toward the top,but nothing that made it hard for the descent.
03saharajeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.