Re-gearing questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Re-gearing questions

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Re-gearing questions

Hey guys,

Wanted to get some local opinions on a few things....

2012 4 dr JK Sahara, auto trans, 2.5'' coil lift, 33" MTR's, 3:21 gears

I will go to 35's in about a year or two when this jeep isnt my daily driver. I wont be doing any major crawling or turning the jeep into a tow vehicle. It will be used for a fun summer car and taken on road trips, over mounatain passes, camping, etc. Probably in-line with how 90% of people use thier jeeps.

1) I am thinking I should go to 4:56 with the 2012. Is this a mistake do you think? Should I go to 4:88's?

2) Where are you guys getting your gears done at?

3) What brand has been good for everyone? Yukon, G2, Superior, etc?

4) Is the $1000-$1200 cost that is so often quoted about what I can expect in the Denver or surrounding area?

I appreciate any info you can give.

Thanks,

Brightwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well.I am full of opinions. Right or not, I have opinions.

1 The difference between 4.56 and 4.88 is pretty small. The bigger the gears, the easier it will be to pull the jeep with big tires. You will be amazed how much power 35 inch tires steal.
2 I went to Emily Griffith(an auto school ran by Denver schools) and took a class and bought a vid on step by step of an 8.8 from old shoe(a ford master tech that makes how to vids) and got the tools and did it myself. Total cost to me was 5 bills for both axles and I have more tools...
3 Front Super 30 is Yukon gears and the Super 88 in back is Superior gears. I have not had issues with either.
4 Call High Country. They are $$, like 6 bills per axle, but they are good.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Like Jeepster said, the difference between those two gearings is pretty small. Do a little more research and look at a gearing calculator to check rpms for tire size and tranny etc. The site I usually use is grimjeeper or something like that, google will be your friend.

It would be cheaper to do it yourself, but you have to be willing to learn, need some extra tools, have the competence, etc. One benefit of having it done by a shop, is that you get a warranty, something you dont get if you do it.... There have been a couple of names thrown out there, look further down the Colorado page here and you will find a thread asking about places to get regearing done. Crawltech in Commerce City seemed like it was a pretty good shop. I talked with the owner when I was shopping around to get my rear end regeared. I think their price is ~1500 for both axles. He was very knowledgeable and helpful. If you are willing to do some work yourself, you can pull the axles off. There is a guy in Colorado springs who will do the labor for $100 per axle. His name is FrankZ. Again, good guy and very knowledgeable. Worth it just to talk to him to get his opinion.

I went with Alloy USA gears, they have a longer warranty and I've heard better things about them as well as Yukon. I've been told to stay away from the G2. But talk with the shops and they will tell you what they are used to using and what they've seen.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #2086

[COLOR="black"] /l , [/COLOR] [COLOR="Yellow"] [____],
l---L---OlllllllO-[/COLOR]
()_) ()_)=[COLOR="Yellow"]@[/COLOR]=)_)

[COLOR="Cyan"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nicks-83-cj7-frame-off-build-1360039/"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
outdoorguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No one ever complains that they went with too low of gears. Go see Josh at Crawlertech and go with 4.88s if you are going to offroad it at all.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!
Unread 11-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Finally going to get this done, going to call around today and figure out where.

After reading around there are some old posts about a guy names josh who has a shop and was doing a bunch of re-gears. Is he still open, anyone know what the shop name is so I can look him up?
Unread 11-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you are talking about the guy named Josh in Aurora or Parker, I'd stay away from him as he is a crook.

If you only plan on doing it once, go with quality and use a place with a good reputation. I've used Joshua at CrawlerTech on my XJ and High Country did the gears on my LJ. Both of them do great work and stand behind what they do. I do believe CrawlerTech is less expensive.

Remember, you get what you pay for...
2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
If you are talking about the guy named Josh in Aurora or Parker, I'd stay away from him as he is a crook.

If you only plan on doing it once, go with quality and use a place with a good reputation. I've used Joshua at CrawlerTech on my XJ and High Country did the gears on my LJ. Both of them do great work and stand behind what they do. I do believe CrawlerTech is less expensive.

Remember, you get what you pay for...
I agree...wow, everthing I read while searching the forums was great on this guy. Would love to here what the heck happened if you want to PM me. I called him earlier and left him a VM, havent heard back yet. Just getting some quotes now.
Unread 11-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Called around...Crawltech was probably the cheapest, but I ended up going with Edge Automotive in Englewood. Chris was extremly helpful and a super nice guy. Getting 4:88's done, with Diff covers with labor and tax included for about $1800.

Seemed like a fair deal. Crawltech was $1650 + tax, so close to the same.
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightwhite View Post
I agree...wow, everthing I read while searching the forums was great on this guy. Would love to here what the heck happened if you want to PM me. I called him earlier and left him a VM, havent heard back yet. Just getting some quotes now.

Here is an older thread about my experience.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/...stoms-1413133/
2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #11
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure what happened ^

But my experience with him was great, good priced and finished my gearing the same day.
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just got back from picking up my jeep from Edge auto, who did my regear to 4:88's.

Drove it 19 miles and its great!!!

Will be using edge for many other mods to come,l and I highly recommend them. Chris and Scotty were both awesome through the process - very informative and communicated with me through the whole process. They know 4x4s up down an side to side.

Btw, I still have my 33's for sale if you know anyone. 275/70/18 (33/11.50/18)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.