Radical Hill; Webster Pass/Handcart Gulch - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Radical Hill; Webster Pass/Handcart Gulch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Post those pics!

I went up to the Wild Irishmen Mine just yesterday and encountered a clear trail. Wanted to do the full Saints John - Swan River - Deer Creek loop, but it was getting late by the time we got to the top, plus we only had 1 vehicle, and you could see the storms brewing.

Some pics of the trip: http://s338.photobucket.com/user/whi...?sort=3&page=1

turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
Post those pics!
My puter's toast right now - don't have a way to post them or believe me I would. I'm lurking and posting on my android app which blows compared to the real deal.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
JeepN4KC

Ok - I was able to hijack a laptop and cut and paste these from another post:

Radical Hill:

Saints John:

Webster Pass:

Handcart Gulch:

Red Cone:

These merely scratch the surface of the rest of the pictures we took.

Trully is an amazing place to be. Last year we did Chihuahua, Santa Fe, Deer Creek/Saints John, and Keystone. This year the trails we ran were even better. We repeated Keystone Gulch but otherwise Handcart/Red Cone was definately one of the coolest trail loops to put under our belts as far as challenges and scenery. Little Rascal Hill was not little, the descent was not as severe as anticipated - still awesome though. The ledge on Handcart was much norrower than Radical, but Radical was quite the trail. Middle/North Forks of Swan was a great loop to do our last day.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Great pics. What day and time of the day did you go? Looks like you had beautiful weather/conditions.

Also, how would you rank the trails as far as views? I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee, and that ridge on Radical Hill looks a bit tight. I wish the weather would have cooperated the other day, as we were so very close to getting to the top of Saints John.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #20
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
Great pics. What day and time of the day did you go? Looks like you had beautiful weather/conditions.

Also, how would you rank the trails as far as views? I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee, and that ridge on Radical Hill looks a bit tight. I wish the weather would have cooperated the other day, as we were so very close to getting to the top of Saints John.
We got into Keystone about noon on Wednesday the 31st and ran Keystone Gulch that afternoon. Thrs morning we were on the trail (Webster/Radical/StsJohn) by 0830. Fri same time for Webster/Handcart/RedCone. Sat same time for DeerCreek/Middle/North forks of Swan. Coming down the switchbacks into Montezuma from the tail end of StsJohn on Thrs we got light rain but by the time we headed back to Keystone village out of Montezuma it was dry - that was the only time we got rained on. The day we did Red Cone was a gorgeous weather day. Saturday got cloudy by afternoon but we were already off the mountains drinking margaritas in our condo.

We may be flatlanders but we know to get on the trails early, especially if headed above timberline - gets you you back off the mountains by afternoon.

The views on all the trails in the area are incredible - I really don't know I could fairly rate them.

Oh, and yes Radical is steep, rocky, tight in some places, tight and off camber in other places, rocky and tight in others, well you get the idea ;-) Very cool trail with oustanding views of the switchbacks going up Webster, as well as the descent of Red Cone, and viseversa.

Btw - Handcart has a couple spots coming down the ledge switchbacks that were tighter than Radical. Red Cone is very rocky most the way through.

The initial descent down Middle Fork is very steep and a good challenge. North Fork is all up hill right after you cross the Swan - not much switchback just pure climb.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Oh man, that is all the pics you have or Radical Hill! I love to hate that trail. Those switch backs on the climb that are off camber to the cliff give you major pucker factor! It is a sporty trail for sure.

Did you hit SOB hill or Wheeler Lake? If not, come back, I will wheel with ya and hit em'
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
Oh man, that is all the pics you have or Radical Hill! I love to hate that trail. Those switch backs on the climb that are off camber to the cliff give you major pucker factor! It is a sporty trail for sure.

Did you hit SOB hill or Wheeler Lake? If not, come back, I will wheel with ya and hit em'
No no no........we have around 600 some photos between all of us for the whole trip. Including many more of Radical. But I'm waiting for my computer to get fixed so I can put together a more comprehensive trip report.

Yes the tippy ledges are fun - my wife did not like them. Especially the last tippy section that puts you off camber to the passenger side just before coming around to the long ledge climb. That trail is great!

Have not done SOB Hill or Wheeler but we'd love to come back and wheel the area with a big group.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Send me a PM if you are ever back in the area! Get the tour from a local.
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #24
JeepN4KC

^^^ Will do.

Here's an updated post from my build thread.

TONS of pictures of the trip in several albums:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/m...l#post15837014

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.