Project Red -- My '51 CJ-3A - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Project Red -- My '51 CJ-3A

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Project Red -- My '51 CJ-3A

As promised here are some pics of my 1951 CJ-3A. I will eventually turn this thread into a build thread, but for the time being it sits as pictured...uncovered in a field, just as it's been for the last 30 years.

The good news is that all of the rust is surface rust with the exception of the front fenders, where the cancer is minimal. The tub and floorboards are still in tact and in good condition, and the body mounts seem to be solid. The motor was running when it was last parked, so it should take minimal rebuilding to get it back to running condition. My fingers are crossed anyway.

My plans: Complete frame-off restoration; only changing the electrical system to 12v

I'm calling this project Red because of it's original color...Luzon Red, which will also be it's color again when it's all said and done (original color can be found on the lid of the toolbox under the passenger seat).

'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet Ryan! Any timeline or goal date to get it finished? A year? Two years?
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Tough to say. I'm headed back over in October to either move it to the farm's shop, or, hopefully, to load it on a trailer and bring it back over to the East side of the divide. That all hinges on whether or not I have a garage to put it in at my new place. My old man isn't sold on the idea of me kicking one of his rides out of his garage to store it for some reason.

If I have to store it over there it could be a couple years before I even get around to working on it. If I bring it over here I could start working on it soon!
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 07-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Naturalhoosier
1998 ZJ 

So it's not a myth!!! That'll be an awesome project! Good luck w/that!

My Ride: 1998 GC Limited
Colorado Jeep Club Member #15
Black Jeep Club Member #1976

Make the world a better place, punch a Boilermaker in the face!!!

Don't blame me...I didn't vote for him.
Naturalhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty clean condition actually! With the exception of cleaning the leaves and junk out of it, it looks really good for the age of it. Reminds me of my uncle's Jeep he restored not too long ago:

As you get into it more, I can get with him and find out where he got the parts if you are struggling to find something.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620

Last edited by KUK9; 07-23-2007 at 11:28 AM..
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Josh, that's an early CJ-5...not a 3B. A 3B is just like mine, only the hood is about twice as high. That's a REAL clean Jeep though. I'd like mine to look like it just rolled off the showroom floor eventually.
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 07-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #7
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I changed it after I looked at it more. He wasn't super sure, and then I looked around a bit and changed it (I must not have changed it before you saw it though). I forgot that the CJ5 and the CJ3b years overlapped, and just assumed the 5 was after the 3b run. Oh well, fixed now.

But I'm sure that's going to be an awesome project. You've got a killer platform to start with...it's hard to find one that clean with so little rust. When you get ready for paint/body work, I can talk to a guy here at work and see what he might charge for a side job.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 07-23-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

When the time comes for bodywork I'll let you know. For now I just want it closer than 5 hours away!!
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 07-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #9
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

It does exist!!!

Take a close look at the rear quarter panels Ryan - my '67 CJ5 had bondo where the original wood (WOOD!) stuffing for the reinforcement channel expanded and blew out part of the side of the tub.

That's gonna be a thing of beauty when you get it running
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #10
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Nothing like that, Jim. This tub is SOLID! I know for a fact there isn't any bondo on it. That wasn't my grandfather's style.
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 07-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Nooooo...don't get me wrong there. Wasn't saying there would be bondo...sorry about that confusion. Just commenting on early tub construction. There might be an angled piece of like 1x2" channel reinforcing the tub near the back with wood filler. That can get wet, then rust the tub and eventually blow out the side when it expands.

Bondo is the devil!

Looking closer at the pics, you won't have that problem at all. Square back. Awesome.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #12
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Yep, I'm familiar with the wood that you're talking about. I was commenting on how bondo isn't my gramp's style because if he had bashed any of the metal on the Jeep in, it would still be bashed in.

Really, you'd have to see this thing to believe it's condition. With the exception of the rust on the front rockers/fenders, there's nothing else. Unbelievable for a Jeep that's been outside for it's eternity.
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 07-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #13
erocksnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUK9
Pretty clean condition actually! With the exception of cleaning the leaves and junk out of it, it looks really good for the age of it. Reminds me of my uncle's Jeep he restored not too long ago:

As you get into it more, I can get with him and find out where he got the parts if you are struggling to find something.
It looks like the tie rod and the diff are takin a beating in that first pic there...might jsut be a wierd angle though
Colorado Jeep Club Member #67

2007 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited...sold
erocksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #14
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No, it's not a wierd angle. He smacked it pretty good, but no damage/bending somehow.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.