Planning a trip to Colorado, August 2014, help. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Planning a trip to Colorado, August 2014, help.

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 01-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #46
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing in the Ouray area is hard but the views are incredible, a must run area in my opinion. Black Bear is hard mentally due to the shelf road but almost any 4x4 vehicle can make it.

Holy Cross is another must run. It has it all, challenge, scenery, history, etc. It is just a great trail.

Wheeler Lake is another one of my favorites.

The Fun Treks books are a great field resource. You can also download GPS points for the trails.
http://www.funtreks.com/

newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #47
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer View Post
Nothing in the Ouray area is hard but the views are incredible, a must run area in my opinion. Black Bear is hard mentally due to the shelf road but almost any 4x4 vehicle can make it.

Holy Cross is another must run. It has it all, challenge, scenery, history, etc. It is just a great trail.

Wheeler Lake is another one of my favorites.

The Fun Treks books are a great field resource. You can also download GPS points for the trails.
http://www.funtreks.com/
Those trails all seem like great suggestions to me.....and I already have my guide book.

I've yet to get a GPS....but one of the guys has a great one, so we should have that covered too!

Thanks for the feed back!

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #48
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was checking on the Ouray KOA cabin situation yesterday...it's not all that good. Last year in Moab we had a cabin with a bathroom, TV, fridge, but there aren't any of those available in the Ouray KOA. They still have cabins with bunks, but I'm not sure they're a big improvement over a tent. If anyone has any tips on where to stay/camp feel free to share.

One issue I have with this trip is my father-in-laws health, which could have an impact on whether or not I actually get to go, when the time comes. Thus far I still plan on going and still have the vacation scheduled at work.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 03-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #49
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about your father's health - but if you can make it, I recommend this place: http://www.ouraycolorado.com/listing/riversedge. We came across it by accident and checked right in after bailing out of our campsite. We've stayed there twice now. The grounds are immaculate, the rooms are very nice and the staff can't be beat.
jeep-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #50
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep-newbie View Post
Sorry to hear about your father's health - but if you can make it, I recommend this place: http://www.ouraycolorado.com/listing/riversedge.
It's full.

Unread 03-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #51
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
It's full.
Full? Cabins, campground or both? What dates?

Not that it matters now, I stay at the Ouray KOA campground every year. and usually tent camp, once in one of the "Kabins". I often stay in one of the kabins at Durango KOA on the way to Ouray because I get there late and Im gone usually before sunrise ergo little to breakdown, repack etc.

Biggest advantages is that there is nothing to set up or break down (memories of wet tent and leaving on a rainy day). Kabin, You just go in, throw down the sleeping bag and camp is done.

You also hve electricity, for charging cell phone and computers etc. There is no bath, and now I think some have small refers.

They are expensive, you can get an ok motel in the flatlands for near the same price.

Only parking for one vehicle, but beds for 3 or more. (I trailer too, so I hve to park truck and trailer away).

The'r great if there is lots of rain. they hve no A/c (although some new ones might), and a wall heater.

Other note is that the Ouray KOA is almost 1/2 way between Ouray and Ridgway. KOA to Ridgway about 6-8 mi. I often go to Ridgway for fuel, they have a grocery store and other options for dining.

I have also stayed at "4Js" in Ouray. wont do it again, Mosty for Motor home, traval trailers. camping is along a unpaved city street. They also have a rule that once a week, you have to move to another location in the park. I think it is Wed, and EVERYONE moves that day. PITA. Guess they do that to keep folks from setting too permanent. They do have a nice bath house. Parking is terrible there.

Other options are Telluride, Ridgway, Lake City, and Silverton or just staying at a campground in the forest.

Let us know what works out. Many of us may be in the same proverbial "boat"

Dif
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #52
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ogun View Post
Full? Cabins, campground or both? What dates?
The River's Edge hotel mentioned was full.

Tent camping, either at a KOA or on the trail (is that even allowed?) may be a last resort if no cabins are available. Last year in Moab we had a KOA cabin with a bath, a/c, tv and fridge...very nice to come back to after a day on the trail.

I agree that one of the benefits of a "primitive" cabin would be that you'd stay dry if it rains, so I haven't ruled that out.

Unread 03-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #53
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
It's full.
I'm not surprised...
jeep-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #54
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It looks like a few other's are going out west and were looking at August 9-16, so I'm probably going to adjust my schedule to go then as well. Not sure if this will help with places to stay, but it'd be nice to have a few others in the group, especially on the way out.

Unread 03-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #55
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The way things are going these days I just may have to sleep in the Jeep (or tent) for ten days, if I want to make this trip happen.

If I don't get to go there may be a yellow Rubicon up for sale, come August.

Unread 03-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #56
Neutron

Not sure of your route coming into Colorado. Montrose has stuff that will satisfy the guys on 40's. You could forgo the trip to the front range if the big Jeeps were just looking for a challenge. Montrose is only 50min or so from Ouray. Can show your buddies a trail that will eat their lunch. Not that the carnage trail and even holy cross aren't pretty trails. May make the trip a little more fun it you could spend more time wheeling and less time driving.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #57
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's only about 4 months away.....things aren't looking so good at the moment. Fingers crossed.

Unread 05-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #58
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Things are looking up. Our property tax bill came today, and it went down, so that's a plus.

Unread 05-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #59
RockyMnt1

We stay at the Best Western in Ouray. They have a great hot breakfast (custom ommletes, as much bacon as you can eat, fresh buscuits,fresh fruit, all of this served up by Guido!!) plus hot springs right on the property. Very comfortable rooms. You don't need to go to the municiple pool at the other end of end.
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #60
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMnt1 View Post
We stay at the Best Western in Ouray. They have a great hot breakfast (custom ommletes, as much bacon as you can eat, fresh buscuits,fresh fruit, all of this served up by Guido!!) plus hot springs right on the property. Very comfortable rooms. You don't need to go to the municiple pool at the other end of end.
I've been looking at the Montrose area, it's bit cheaper than Ouray, and has more rooms available.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.