Planning a trip to Colorado, August 2014, help. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Planning a trip to Colorado, August 2014, help.

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #31
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Poughkeepsie is the hardest trail in Ouray IMO. Black bear isn't so much as hard, just the highest shelf road I've ever found myself on. Haven't done it since I went full width, but I can guess it will be dodgey to say the least. Most of the rest of Ouray is high, narrow, and scenic, but I didn't think it was all that "tough" of an area.

As mentioned, Penrose, Holy Cross, Wheeler, Black Bear, Poughkeepsie, Spring Creek are all great trails. Chinaman and Carnage are also great. While the guys are on Carnage check out Iron Chest and Grizzly Lake. Both great. I've never made the drive to Blanca, but some say it is hardest.

What is the route to Ouray? Are you going through Grand Junction? 21 road, Billings, and Browns are reported to be sick. I've never stopped to do them on the way to Ouray or Moab, but the pictures are amazing.

Unread 01-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #32
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

Make sure you come by the shop and say Hi!
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #33
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
Poughkeepsie is the hardest trail in Ouray IMO. Black bear isn't so much as hard, just the highest shelf road I've ever found myself on. Haven't done it since I went full width, but I can guess it will be dodgey to say the least. Most of the rest of Ouray is high, narrow, and scenic, but I didn't think it was all that "tough" of an area.

As mentioned, Penrose, Holy Cross, Wheeler, Black Bear, Poughkeepsie, Spring Creek are all great trails. Chinaman and Carnage are also great. While the guys are on Carnage check out Iron Chest and Grizzly Lake. Both great. I've never made the drive to Blanca, but some say it is hardest.

What is the route to Ouray? Are you going through Grand Junction? 21 road, Billings, and Browns are reported to be sick. I've never stopped to do them on the way to Ouray or Moab, but the pictures are amazing.
The first time out, seeing the sights is fine with me, I don't have to hit the hardest trails to have a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
Make sure you come by the shop and say Hi!
I just hope I don't HAVE to come by the shop.

Most of all I hope I can actually pull this trip off without anything screwing it up....it's along time until August.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #34
Navy75
2002 WJ 

When you get your dates and trails finalized your welcome to hit me up if you want some more company on the trails. Our group is always down for doing spring creek, Chinamans, and Holy Cross.
Navy75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #35
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

subbed as i am planning a similar trip to the same area july 19th - 26th

are you planning on camping for most of it Jeffro?
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #36
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'll have camping gear, but I'm going to look into the KOA near Ouray too, the KOA in Moab was awesome.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 01-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #37
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Jeepin72;19218242]Poughkeepsie is the hardest trail in Ouray IMO. Black bear isn't so much as hard, just the highest shelf road I've ever found myself on. Haven't done it since I went full width, but I can guess it will be dodgey to say the least. Most of the rest of Ouray is high, narrow, and scenic, but I didn't think it was all that "tough" of an area.

QUOTE]

I agree. There are a lot of areas not in the Telluride/Silverton/Ouray area that are far greater challenge where rock sliders and high clearance are important.

So what's the difference? The very high altitude, making for the great view and scenery. Many of the trails are just as they were when the miners, using shovels, picks, and dynamite, carved them out of the ledges.

Poughkeepsie:
Just as Jeepin72 says, this trail has more obstacles. More specific, most of this trail is easier than Mineral Creek which you have to traverse to get to the Poughkeepsie trail head. (if going north to south and up hill). The topography of Poughkeepsie Gulch runs north and south, has very steep sides. As a result it does not get direct sunshine for much of the day and never really gets a chance to dry out. The gulch stays in the shadows most of the day. The trails is almost always wet and slick.

The obstacles of greatest concern start just north of "The Wall" and continue south almost all the way to Lake Como, with numerous by passes (there is no bypass at the wall). The wall is most certain an major obstacle, but would be less an issue if dry. The fact there are numerous anchor points at the wall attest to the difficulty of climbing the wall.

Black Bear:
Two words that are important in describing this trail are "Unforgiving" and "intimidating".

With out a doubt, some the greatest views you will ever see are on the Black Bear Trail. From hwy 550, there are few challenges up to and past the pass summit. The trail is very narrow and many times a shelf road and some sharp switch backs as you climb to the summit. After passing the summit there is one switch back just as you enter Ingram Basin. It is in the shadow much of the year and snow is present much of the summer. It has been a 3 point turn, but through the years, I have seen it improve to the point that I have made the turn with out backing up. The County maintenance, through the years, have made the turn wider. Longer wheel base vehicles may still need to do the 3 point.
You are in Ingram basin which is pretty tame, every so often there is a steep part, but the views of Telluride are good and you can see the Telluride landing strip as if you were in an airplane on short final for a landing. Within Ingram basin, the trail becomes one way and only down hill traffic is permitted.
To get a better understanding, I reference a photo-video I did on last years trip and will give you times to pause the video to describe the action.

This shows not to be present and cannot find the file, but click on "youtube" in the green bar above the message and the video will start
YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

There are a series of steps that get progressively "hary" (see video times 8:30 to 9:04). The last step is turn to the right just before you descend around a blind corner and just above Ingram falls. I purposely made the music intents because that is what you are feeling. The trail is steep and very rough. You will unconsciously start to grip your steering wheel, and body perspiration will start to increase. Slow and caution are very much on your mind. As you make the blind turn to the right, the trail will become evident and you feel that you have cheated death one more time. (Caution, your not out of the woods yet)
Many times, passengers will not ride on this part of the trail, it is extremely intimidating.

At the end of that section of trail (after the blind curve) is the large switch turning to the left. A lot of people stop (maybe to clean out their pants) and after the turn you descend to cross Ingram falls. Ingram falls has two steps and the trail crosses between them. When you look back at the photos and see the second step of the fall, you get the idea of how steep the area is.

The trail descends down a very very narrow shelf road with the driver on the inside. After this, the trail becomes very UNVORGIVING. The next 4 switch backs are the toughest of all the switchbacks and the first two are extream. The first and tightest switch back goes to the right. Knowing your jeep is important. Clutch friction point, good brakes, good emergency brake, turning radius. No trash or water bottles in the floor (ask me how I know). A mistake here could mean that you get to meet Jesus. Having a seasoned and trusted spotter is good here. (video reference 9:21-9:28)

The next switchback starts with a very steep grade down just before the left turn. When you go back to look at this turn on the video you see that it is on the edge of a rock slide that starts above the falls and goes down the full face of the wall. The turn is so steep here that often the driver side rear will come off the ground as you make the turn. As you reverse to make the turn, engage the rear locker as you are backing up steep loose rock, you DO NOT want to bounce. (video reference 10:00-10:19)
The next two switch backs are still a challenge, but not as bad as what you have just completed. After that, the trail becomes two way traffic again. and the trip down to Telluride seems like a stroll in the park, the stress level is much less now.
Pause the video at 10:39 to study the switch backs. and at 10:44 to view the Ingram falls step and the blind curve.

Jeffro, hope this helps. I never go to the area without taking in Black Bear and another favorite is Imogene Pass. There is so much there and so much fun to run the trails. The area is pretty much the "superbowl" of mountain offroading. I typically like to run the area in mid July to the end of the month, but a lot of that depends on how much snow fell the previous winter. Once I ran Black Bear on June 29th and other years there was much snow on each side of the trail into August.

Dif
Ride Hard, Tread Lightly
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #38
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't get me wrong...Black Bear will make you puke. Imogene will make you puke as well! To describe them as shelf roads is a bit of an understatement. Living in Colorado makes you a bit more immune to the shelf roads, but Black Bear is a bucket list trail for a reason. I was last on it two years ago. I recall more like four point turns with brakes set to make sure I didn't miss a gear shift since there is NO ROOM for error without a 1000 foot fall!

The original post mentioned hard trails (Carnage) which lends itself to a select few comparisons in the state. Granted Colorado has a number of comparisons to Carnage, some harder (worse) some a bit less. There is no way to have a bad time in Ouray. There is some great camp sites off of Mineral.
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #39
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
Don't get me wrong...Black Bear will make you puke. Imogene will make you puke as well! To describe them as shelf roads is a bit of an understatement. Living in Colorado makes you a bit more immune to the shelf roads, but Black Bear is a bucket list trail for a reason. I was last on it two years ago. I recall more like four point turns with brakes set to make sure I didn't miss a gear shift since there is NO ROOM for error without a 1000 foot fall!

The original post mentioned hard trails (Carnage) which lends itself to a select few comparisons in the state. Granted Colorado has a number of comparisons to Carnage, some harder (worse) some a bit less. There is no way to have a bad time in Ouray. There is some great camp sites off of Mineral.
I've enjoyed a great many of trips through Colorado on the highway, so I'm sure any off road time I get will make this better than any trip I've ever taken to Colorado before.

I love the Ouray / Silverton area.

Just getting to drive the wife's Explorer on the first 100 yards of Black Bear was enough to make me giddy....can't wait to hit in the Jeep.

Carnage will be a bit into the future for me, I'm sure.

Unread 01-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #40
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Chinaman, Holy Cross, Wheeler Lake, and Penrose (Indy and Patriot are intense) are my favorites in CO and really the only real 'difficult' must do trails IMO. You could run Liberty (Penrose) in your Rubi Jeffro now that your on 35's. It might be the hardest trail you've done yet but it's a blast. I run it every year and I'm built like you. Ask Mike and Lu about some of these trails, we had a ball the last two years on these trails.

It's hard to compare trails in CO to Moab like you did because it like comparing apples to oranges. Even difficult trails in Moab really aren't as difficult as they should be, because of slick rock.

Spring creek is meh. Definitely not one of the best.
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #41
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Chinaman, Holy Cross, Wheeler Lake, and Penrose (Indy and Patriot are intense) are my favorites in CO and really the only real 'difficult' must do trails IMO. You could run Liberty (Penrose) in your Rubi Jeffro now that your on 35's. It might be the hardest trail you've done yet but it's a blast. I run it every year and I'm built like you. Ask Mike and Lu about some of these trails, we had a ball the last two years on these trails.

It's hard to compare trails in CO to Moab like you did because it like comparing apples to oranges. Even difficult trails in Moab really aren't as difficult as they should be, because of slick rock.

Spring creek is meh. Definitely not one of the best.
Not on 35's yet...but I'm not scared to push it a bit on the 33's, that's what armor is for, right?

I know the terrain, challenges, will be totally different than Moab, and I'm really looking forward to that, even if it does provide some new challenges.

So far I've learned that the difficulty rating of most trails I've been on has been a bit exaggerated, so I do plan on making my decision on some of these trails as I go.

How long until August?

Unread 01-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #42
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Not on 35's yet...but I'm not scared to push it a bit on the 33's, that's what armor is for, right?

I know the terrain, challenges, will be totally different than Moab, and I'm really looking forward to that, even if it does provide some new challenges.

So far I've learned that the difficulty rating of most trails I've been on has been a bit exaggerated, so I do plan on making my decision on some of these trails as I go.

How long until August?
Right ! Hopefully I can meet up to run at least 1 trail.

I guess I'm mixing up your build thread with someone else's then...maybe it was all the chat about 35's on your thread.
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #43
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Right ! Hopefully I can meet up to run at least 1 trail.

I guess I'm mixing up your build thread with someone else's then...maybe it was all the chat about 35's on your thread.
35's are in my plans, ksilovich says I need them now, but unless he pays for the new wheels and the re-gear, it ain't happening for awhile.

Unread 01-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #44
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
35's are in my plans, ksilovich says I need them now, but unless he pays for the new wheels and the re-gear, it ain't happening for awhile.
Ksilovich is right But I know how much 35's cost...no beuno.

And I know a few guys running 4.10's here in CO and it's not all bad...except for the mountain passes if you have an auto.

Either way keep me in the loop for any CO trails. I could probably get a few big boy jeeps to run the extreme trails with your buds too.
Unread 01-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #45
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Either way keep me in the loop for any CO trails. I could probably get a few big boy jeeps to run the extreme trails with your buds too.
Will do, they'd love that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.