Planning a trip to Colorado, August 2014, help. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Planning a trip to Colorado, August 2014, help.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Hope their rigs aren't too wide. There are quite a few trails around here that you can't fit if you are much wider than the average TJ/JK.

And we practice Stay the Trail so there aren't any bypasses to mow down trees on.
Some of their rigs, running 40's, are about 10" wider than my TJ.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
JCro99
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jeff,

As mentioned, check out www.traildamage.com, click on trails, sort by difficulty and then start at the bottom and work your way up.

Check out Independence trail, Patriot Trail, Blanca Peak, Holy Cross and of course Carnage.

Holy Cross is my favorite trail that I have done in Colorado. Pretty much everything that Colorado 4 wheeling has to offer.

The hardest/closest trail to Denver in my opinion is Spring Creek. About 1 hour west of Denver. Penrose system (independence, patriot, liberty) is about 2 hours south of Denver. Other than that, the majority of difficult trails are all on the western slope.

Have fun!!!!!

'05 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L Hemi
JCro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Some good suggestions....it's been leading to some good vids on YouTube too.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 11-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin04Lj View Post
Try asking on wranglerforum.com
You should really stop talking about that forum. It gets annoying when that is all you do.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
Justin04Lj

Sorry jeeze.
Justin04Lj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #21
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

Jeff, what days do you have as a rough guess for this trip? I'm about 13-14 hours from Black Bear.

A little out of your way south, but you could stay at my place a night since you'll probably make the trip in 2 days. Google maps says 9 hrs to me from your city. It's a straight shot over from here to CO on nice US highways (65 or 70 speed limit).
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #22
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm shooting for the first full week of August. Plans are to get to at least North Platte on day one, then head into Colorado down to the Colorado springs area, maybe wheel there for a day, then head over to Black Bear for a couple of days, then head north towards the Vail area for some trails around there...hopefully nothing gets in the way of all that.

Unread 11-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #23
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

I just found out I made SSgt so now it may get harder to take leave since we are always short on 7 levels here. I'll definitely reserve the dates as soon as I can though. Once everything is pretty much set in stone.

Can't wait!
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #24
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobie View Post
I just found out I made SSgt so now it may get harder to take leave since we are always short on 7 levels here. I'll definitely reserve the dates as soon as I can though. Once everything is pretty much set in stone.

Can't wait!
Well congrats. Having a wife a kids makes it harder to get leave too.

Unread 11-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #25
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ouray area then up to Buena Vista for Carnage and Chinaman's [one for both levels]. On up hwy24 through Leadville and hit Holy Cross. Then head east on I-70 and a bit south to Breckenridge and do Wheeler Lake. Then if you have time definitely hit Spring Creek which starts in Downieville right off I-70 closer to Denver. Spring Creek has some good stuff for everybody.
Jim

Spring Creek
Unread 11-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #26
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
Ouray area then up to Buena Vista for Carnage and Chinaman's [one for both levels]. On up hwy24 through Leadville and hit Holy Cross. Then head east on I-70 and a bit south to Breckenridge and do Wheeler Lake. Then if you have time definitely hit Spring Creek which starts in Downieville right off I-70 closer to Denver. Spring Creek has some good stuff for everybody.
Jim

Spring Creek
That sounds like a good plan.

Unread 11-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #27
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well today I put in my vacation for August 2014. I'll be off from August 2nd, through August 14th, so hopefully I can finalize plans for the trip on one of those two weeks. The first week would be best, as it gives me the second week to recover, repair or limp home.

Unread 11-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #28
TripLeader
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would suggest this guidebook: http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Ad.../dp/1930193068

It doesn't talk about all the hardcore trails, but enough to be worthwhile, and has a lot of history. It has some info on locations of ghost towns and old mines.

Also, my advice for the Alpine loop is to do it in a clockwise direction. That way you will be on the inside as you ascend Engineer Pass.
TripLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #29
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripLeader View Post
I would suggest this guidebook: http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Ad.../dp/1930193068

It doesn't talk about all the hardcore trails, but enough to be worthwhile, and has a lot of history. It has some info on locations of ghost towns and old mines.

Also, my advice for the Alpine loop is to do it in a clockwise direction. That way you will be on the inside as you ascend Engineer Pass.
That looks like some good reading material. Thanks for the tip.

Unread 12-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #30
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

All good trail suggestions so far, the bad part is that a week of this stuff out here will only leave you wanting more. Spring Creek is one of my favorites.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.