Planning a trip to Colorado, August 2014, help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Planning a trip to Colorado, August 2014, help.

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Planning a trip to Colorado, August 2014, help.

Like the title says a few of us are planning a Colorado trip for August 2014. The trail wish list is varied, of course. I consider Black Bear a must do, but the that's the furthest area in the state for us to travel, since we're coming from Illinois and Indiana. The question is, are there other trails (rated hard, not easy) that are in the area that will make it worth our drive? What do you guys recommend?

I was thinking about hitting the Ouray area then heading back towards the Monarch, Vail area and hitting more trails...such as Carnage (ok, I won't be doing Carnage, but it's a must do for a few of the guys).

I'd like to see some thoughts, suggestions, even links to trail reports or your YouTube channel, if it has any good Colorado vids.

We've got a lot of time to plan our trip, so figuring out which trails, were to stay (camp or hotel) and where to start don't need to be done by tomorrow but I'd sure like to have it sorted out before spring comes and goes.

Thanks in advance for any help.....well hopefully we get some help.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Justin04Lj

Try asking on wranglerforum.com
Justin04Lj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Like the title says a few of us are planning a Colorado trip for August 2014. The trail wish list is varied, of course. I consider Black Bear a must do, but the that's the furthest area in the state for us to travel, since we're coming from Illinois and Indiana. The question is, are there other trails (rated hard, not easy) that are in the area that will make it worth our drive? What do you guys recommend?
You could spend at least two worthwhile days in the Ouray - Silverton area. From Ouray, spend your first day doing the Black Bear to Telluride, lunch, then take Imogene trail back to Ouray. The second day you could do parts of the Alpine Loop, specifically Engineer Pass and Poughkeepsie Gulch if you want more challenging terrain.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Start here:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

You can check the trail heads map for locations, then just look for those at the higher end of the scale. Lots of pics, and many have Youtube vids as well.
Some very technical ones around Penrose called Independence, Liberty and Patriot you can spend a day on
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
churchofjt
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Trail Damage is the place to start for sure. For my money, I'd also suggest Chinaman Gulch (as it's right next to Carnage Canyon) and Holy Cross (as it's not too far from Vail). If you find yourself near Grand Junction, Billings Canyon is a good higher end trail.
churchofjt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Black Bear, Imogene, Chinaman and Carnage are all on our list (well, Carnage isn't on mine).

Trying to decide where to go, what's a must do, and how to fit it all into 5 days is the hard part......but we'll figure it out, some how.

Knowing which trails you guys consider a must do, especially if one was to never get back out there, will really help us decide.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 10-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Rook87
1997 ZJ 

When I was just there in August we stayed at the KOA in Ouray. We stayed in tents, very nice place. For our one day of wheeling we started on the Alpine Loop and took the Engineer Pass route to the end to.. What is it Park City? Lake City? Something like that. Anyways, beautiful but Def very tame and also a looong drive back to Ouray. Bout all I have to offer ya sir
Rook87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My .02 cents, speaking as a flat-lander from Louisiana who nevertheless enjoys taking our ’03 Rubi to the San Juan mountains in Colorado as often as possible…
I would suggest Black Bear (especially since you mentioned it specifically as a must-do), Imogene Pass, and Poughkeepsie Gulch.
Then, depending on your remaining time if any, the Alpine Loop over Cinnamon Pass to Lake City and return via Engineer Pass.
Then if time allows, Corkscrew Gulch/Pass, Hurricane Pass, and California pass.
Now, I am far from a hard-core wheeler…but since your first post said “hard, not easy” let me give .02 more cents…none of these trails will be “hard” by a hard-core wheeler’s definition. The obstacle on Poughkeepsie known as “the wall” will probably be the most challenging spot in the San Juans. I have personally been accompanied by a bone-stock ’93 YJ with four angry squirrels, open diffs, and P235/75/15 tires, on all of the “well-known” San Juan trails. The only place he didn’t make under his own power was “the wall” on Poughkeepsie where he accepted a winch pull after a game try.
These trails are chock-full of narrow shelf roads, however, which can sometimes make them seem harder than they really are due to the so-called pucker factor, i.e “the steps” or the first couple of switchbacks on Black Bear.
My suggestion would be not to rule any of these out, however, just because they may not be “hard”. The spectacular scenery in my opinion makes it worth it even if you see a Subaru Outback or Honda CRV following you everywhere you go.
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
texlurch
2002 WJ 

If you want to spend a day on a "hard" trail, just do Holy Cross.
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, keep the ideas/thoughts/suggestions coming.

I've been reading the guide book and most of the "difficult" trails don't read as difficult to me, not compared to what I've done in Moab anyway....but to me it's not all about being supper technical hard core stuff, but some of the guys rolling on 40's are going to want some real challenges. I know Carnage is a must do for those guys, but wasn't too sure about any other trails with "40" obstacles.

I have no problem running as many difficult trails as I can fit in in a 5 day period, even if the pucker factor is the only thing that gives them that rating. This trip will combine my two hobbies, wheeling and photography, the scenery is nearly as important as the trail to me.

I was at the beginning of Black Bear back in 2012, in the wife's Explorer:

As you can see I was very sad. Having to watch as 5 or 6 Jeeps headed off on the trail was very hard to do.

I did drive a bit of the trail:

I told the wife we could go further, even in the Explorer, but she wasn't for that, besides we had to get to Disneyland.

I've wanted to go back there since that day.

Unread 10-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
bfewkwa

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I spent a long weekend running trails in the Ouray area this past Aug.

Trail report can be found here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/o...tains-1562743/
bfewkwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfewkwa View Post
I spent a long weekend running trails in the Ouray area this past Aug.

Trail report can be found here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/o...tains-1562743/
I read that when you posted it, but I just read it again....love it.

Unread 10-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

If your friends want to see how manly they are, let them run the independence trail system down by penrose. That separates the men from the boys whos lil boys haven't dropped yet.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #14
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
If your friends want to see how manly they are, let them run the independence trail system down by penrose. That separates the men from the boys whos lil boys haven't dropped yet.
That's exactly the type of stuff these guys are looking for, me not so much.

Unread 10-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Hope their rigs aren't too wide. There are quite a few trails around here that you can't fit if you are much wider than the average TJ/JK.

And we practice Stay the Trail so there aren't any bypasses to mow down trees on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.