JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/)
-   -   Planning a trip to Colorado, August 2014, help. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/planning-trip-colorado-august-2014-help-1712714/)

Jeffro06 10-22-2013 07:04 PM

Planning a trip to Colorado, August 2014, help.

Like the title says a few of us are planning a Colorado trip for August 2014. The trail wish list is varied, of course. I consider Black Bear a must do, but the that's the furthest area in the state for us to travel, since we're coming from Illinois and Indiana. The question is, are there other trails (rated hard, not easy) that are in the area that will make it worth our drive? What do you guys recommend?

I was thinking about hitting the Ouray area then heading back towards the Monarch, Vail area and hitting more trails...such as Carnage (ok, I won't be doing Carnage, but it's a must do for a few of the guys).

I'd like to see some thoughts, suggestions, even links to trail reports or your YouTube channel, if it has any good Colorado vids.

We've got a lot of time to plan our trip, so figuring out which trails, were to stay (camp or hotel) and where to start don't need to be done by tomorrow but I'd sure like to have it sorted out before spring comes and goes.

Thanks in advance for any help.....well hopefully we get some help. :laugh:

Justin04Lj 10-22-2013 09:52 PM

Try asking on wranglerforum.com

3Dog 10-22-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffro06 (Post 17066066)
Like the title says a few of us are planning a Colorado trip for August 2014. The trail wish list is varied, of course. I consider Black Bear a must do, but the that's the furthest area in the state for us to travel, since we're coming from Illinois and Indiana. The question is, are there other trails (rated hard, not easy) that are in the area that will make it worth our drive? What do you guys recommend?

You could spend at least two worthwhile days in the Ouray - Silverton area. From Ouray, spend your first day doing the Black Bear to Telluride, lunch, then take Imogene trail back to Ouray. The second day you could do parts of the Alpine Loop, specifically Engineer Pass and Poughkeepsie Gulch if you want more challenging terrain.

texlurch 10-23-2013 12:00 AM

Start here:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

You can check the trail heads map for locations, then just look for those at the higher end of the scale. Lots of pics, and many have Youtube vids as well.
Some very technical ones around Penrose called Independence, Liberty and Patriot you can spend a day on

churchofjt 10-23-2013 04:14 PM

Trail Damage is the place to start for sure. For my money, I'd also suggest Chinaman Gulch (as it's right next to Carnage Canyon) and Holy Cross (as it's not too far from Vail). If you find yourself near Grand Junction, Billings Canyon is a good higher end trail.

Jeffro06 10-23-2013 04:31 PM

Black Bear, Imogene, Chinaman and Carnage are all on our list (well, Carnage isn't on mine).

Trying to decide where to go, what's a must do, and how to fit it all into 5 days is the hard part......but we'll figure it out, some how.

Knowing which trails you guys consider a must do, especially if one was to never get back out there, will really help us decide.

Rook87 10-23-2013 05:01 PM

When I was just there in August we stayed at the KOA in Ouray. We stayed in tents, very nice place. For our one day of wheeling we started on the Alpine Loop and took the Engineer Pass route to the end to.. What is it Park City? Lake City? Something like that. Anyways, beautiful but Def very tame and also a looong drive back to Ouray. Bout all I have to offer ya sir

rouxbicon 10-24-2013 10:40 AM

My .02 cents, speaking as a flat-lander from Louisiana who nevertheless enjoys taking our ’03 Rubi to the San Juan mountains in Colorado as often as possible…
I would suggest Black Bear (especially since you mentioned it specifically as a must-do), Imogene Pass, and Poughkeepsie Gulch.
Then, depending on your remaining time if any, the Alpine Loop over Cinnamon Pass to Lake City and return via Engineer Pass.
Then if time allows, Corkscrew Gulch/Pass, Hurricane Pass, and California pass.
Now, I am far from a hard-core wheeler…but since your first post said “hard, not easy” let me give .02 more cents…none of these trails will be “hard” by a hard-core wheeler’s definition. The obstacle on Poughkeepsie known as “the wall” will probably be the most challenging spot in the San Juans. I have personally been accompanied by a bone-stock ’93 YJ with four angry squirrels, open diffs, and P235/75/15 tires, on all of the “well-known” San Juan trails. The only place he didn’t make under his own power was “the wall” on Poughkeepsie where he accepted a winch pull after a game try.
These trails are chock-full of narrow shelf roads, however, which can sometimes make them seem harder than they really are due to the so-called pucker factor, i.e “the steps” or the first couple of switchbacks on Black Bear.
My suggestion would be not to rule any of these out, however, just because they may not be “hard”. The spectacular scenery in my opinion makes it worth it even if you see a Subaru Outback or Honda CRV following you everywhere you go.

texlurch 10-24-2013 11:12 AM

If you want to spend a day on a "hard" trail, just do Holy Cross.

Jeffro06 10-24-2013 01:23 PM

Thanks guys, keep the ideas/thoughts/suggestions coming.

I've been reading the guide book and most of the "difficult" trails don't read as difficult to me, not compared to what I've done in Moab anyway....but to me it's not all about being supper technical hard core stuff, but some of the guys rolling on 40's are going to want some real challenges. I know Carnage is a must do for those guys, but wasn't too sure about any other trails with "40" obstacles.

I have no problem running as many difficult trails as I can fit in in a 5 day period, even if the pucker factor is the only thing that gives them that rating. This trip will combine my two hobbies, wheeling and photography, the scenery is nearly as important as the trail to me.

I was at the beginning of Black Bear back in 2012, in the wife's Explorer:

http://www.leiningerphotos.com/photo...Z7BXCCn-X2.jpg

As you can see I was very sad. Having to watch as 5 or 6 Jeeps headed off on the trail was very hard to do.

I did drive a bit of the trail:

http://www.leiningerphotos.com/photo...sLvxm74-X2.jpg

I told the wife we could go further, even in the Explorer, but she wasn't for that, besides we had to get to Disneyland.

I've wanted to go back there since that day.

bfewkwa 10-24-2013 03:06 PM

I spent a long weekend running trails in the Ouray area this past Aug.

Trail report can be found here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/o...tains-1562743/

Jeffro06 10-24-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfewkwa (Post 17121402)
I spent a long weekend running trails in the Ouray area this past Aug.

Trail report can be found here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/o...tains-1562743/

I read that when you posted it, but I just read it again....love it. :thumbsup:

streetglideok 10-25-2013 06:10 AM

If your friends want to see how manly they are, let them run the independence trail system down by penrose. That separates the men from the boys whos lil boys haven't dropped yet.

Jeffro06 10-25-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetglideok (Post 17138210)
If your friends want to see how manly they are, let them run the independence trail system down by penrose. That separates the men from the boys whos lil boys haven't dropped yet.

That's exactly the type of stuff these guys are looking for, me not so much. :laugh:

texlurch 10-25-2013 09:09 AM

Hope their rigs aren't too wide. There are quite a few trails around here that you can't fit if you are much wider than the average TJ/JK.

And we practice Stay the Trail so there aren't any bypasses to mow down trees on.

The time now is 02:03 AM.