Planning a roadtrip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Planning a roadtrip

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 01-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Planning a roadtrip

My fiancÚ and I are planning to road trip out to CO after our wedding in May and want to hot a few trails out that way.

Any idea if Mosquito Pass will be passable by then?

Sent from my TJ

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mosquito Pass in May is not likely. The winter of 2011/2012 was a light one as far as snow, and Mosquito Pass still was not passable before the middle of June. I think most years it is not passable until July.
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxbicon
Mosquito Pass in May is not likely. The winter of 2011/2012 was a light one as far as snow, and Mosquito Pass still was not passable before the middle of June. I think most years it is not passable until July.
Thanks, good to know ya'll will still have some snow!

Any ideas of simple trails that will be passable about that time?

Sent from my TJ
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a particular part of the state you will be in. Melt depends on altitude and snow pack. Are you going to be in the Park County / Lake County (Mosquito Pass) area specifically? In Summit County next door? Trail recommenations need a bit more specificity. It is a big state full of off roading...
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I have no idea. We're in the initial planning stages.

We'd like to get up to some higher elevations with some good scenic views. Ideally, we'd only tackle trails that are light to moderate difficulty with low risk of serious damage preferably with camping allowed.

She was born there but didn't live there and I'm itching to get back to the white stuff since moving out of Vermont to Georgia.

Definitely open to suggestions!

Sent from my TJ
- Samuel Adams
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Take a look at Charles A. Wells book "Guide to Colorado Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails (ISBN 10: 0-9664976-6-x or 13: 978-0-9664976-6-3). It will give you a good idea of the trails. In May, look to the Cleark Creek, Colorado Springs, Buena Vista, Grand Junction, and Poudre Canyon areas.

Higher trails may be opening, but it is hard to know.
Unread 01-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72
Take a look at Charles A. Wells book "Guide to Colorado Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails (ISBN 10: 0-9664976-6-x or 13: 978-0-9664976-6-3). It will give you a good idea of the trails. In May, look to the Cleark Creek, Colorado Springs, Buena Vista, Grand Junction, and Poudre Canyon areas.

Higher trails may be opening, but it is hard to know.
Thanks! I'll definitely be taking a look at That

Sent from my TJ
- Samuel Adams

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.