Planning epic road trip - input appreciated - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
nh1nh1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Winston-Salem
Posts: 13
Planning epic road trip - input appreciated

Good Afternoon

Thursday my girlfriend and I are taking my stock JK and driving from NC to colorado and then the grand canyon. We are planning on taking I-70 to Colorado then going to the grand canyon and taking I40 home. We are a basic plan but I figured this would be a great place to ask for some must see places to see, stop, and take in. It will be both of our frist times in the midwest. We are planning on camping the entire way and doing a lot of hiking and outdoor stuff.

Regretably I doubt we will do much off roading unless the trail is super easy because my jeep is stock and we have to drive it 2k miles homes.

We have a basic plan and will have about 7 days to take in Ok, Co, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. What are you favorite spots to see that you would recommend? Doesnt have to be just hiking spots to see, eat, or breweries ect would all be appreciated...

Thanks

nh1nh1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 PM
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 2,037
Most trails out here can be done with a stock JK. Check out www.traildamage.com for some good trails. If you know more details down the line im sure there will be people willing to hit up those trails with you. As for non-wheeling with a good hike I highly recommend Hanging Lake outside of Glenwood Colorado. Thing is you need to be their early in the morning. The parking lot fills up fast and you will have to wait for some spots to open.
COLOUXJ is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM
turbospartan
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 102
If I were you, I'd hit as many of the National Parks as possible especially in Utah. Hanging Lake in Glenwood is definitely worth stopping for, on your way over to Utah.

Denver -> Hanging Lake -> Colorado Monument -> Moab / Arches National Park / Canyonlands National Park -> Capital Reef National Park -> Bryce Canyon National Park -> Zion National Park

After Zion you'd probably have to head back East to get to Grand Canyon National Park, unless you went over into Nevada and came back up through AZ. Havasu Falls in Grand Canyon NP is supposed to be awesome.

There are also some National Parks in Colorado, included Rocky Mountain NP, Mesa Verde (way down South, maybe you could head 40 East back to NC and take a quick detour to hit Mesa Verda and/or Great Sand Dunes NP?).

Tons of options.
turbospartan is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
nh1nh1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Winston-Salem
Posts: 13
awesome input thanks. Trail damage is a great website.

Black Bear pass looks amazing. I would love to drive that but thinking it might be too difficult for stock. But I definitely found a couple easier trails that we will definitely take now.

Thanks for the suggested route turbo. I cant wait to hit the road... waiting this next day and a half is killing me
nh1nh1 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 AM
gspup
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Demfer
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by nh1nh1 View Post
awesome input thanks. Trail damage is a great website.

Black Bear pass looks amazing. I would love to drive that but thinking it might be too difficult for stock. But I definitely found a couple easier trails that we will definitely take now.

Thanks for the suggested route turbo. I cant wait to hit the road... waiting this next day and a half is killing me
It's not too hard for stock. The difficulty rating is for the fear/danger factor.

TJ build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ljs-devil-1329976/
gspup is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 07:35 PM
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
It's not too hard for stock. The difficulty rating is for the fear/danger factor.
Yup, its more of a puker factor for people who have not done a lot of passes and switchbacks with big drop offs. Doable in a stock JK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
If I were you, I'd hit as many of the National Parks as possible especially in Utah. Hanging Lake in Glenwood is definitely worth stopping for, on your way over to Utah.

Denver -> Hanging Lake -> Colorado Monument -> Moab / Arches National Park / Canyonlands National Park -> Capital Reef National Park -> Bryce Canyon National Park -> Zion National Park

After Zion you'd probably have to head back East to get to Grand Canyon National Park, unless you went over into Nevada and came back up through AZ. Havasu Falls in Grand Canyon NP is supposed to be awesome.

There are also some National Parks in Colorado, included Rocky Mountain NP, Mesa Verde (way down South, maybe you could head 40 East back to NC and take a quick detour to hit Mesa Verda and/or Great Sand Dunes NP?).

Tons of options.
This route would be incredible and well worth the extra mileage. Honestly I would only hit a few of the extremely scenic trails here (Black bear is one, maybe redcone) and hit up the national parks and spend your time there. Each one could be a 2-3 day expedition easily, other than hanging lake, which is about a 3-4 hour trip.
COLOUXJ is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Sasquatch4x4
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Redmond
Posts: 69
I myself am on a road trip, I'm from washington state and I'm about 2 weeks into my trip with no real end date. Driving around Colorado right now and spent the past few days in the San jauns, I drove black bear yesterday and it is an amazing trail and well worth the time and effort to get up there.

Check Out My YJ Build and Give me Advice!! : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/blue-95-yj-built-college-kid-w-part-time-job-1428767/
Sasquatch4x4 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 06-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Rtone1583
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 193
This has got to one of my favorite maps of the area.

http://www.coloradobeerguide.com/beermap.html
Rtone1583 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 06-30-2013, 03:39 PM
jeep-newbie
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Westminster
Posts: 1,342
If visiting Zion Nat'l Park, take a few hours to hike the Narrows. You'll be hiking in a river bed that can vary in depth. It is one of the best times I ever had! Most of the time, you stayed dry above the knee, but there were a few spots where you might have to swim or float for a few yards. An amazing "hike".
jeep-newbie is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 06-30-2013, 11:29 PM
newracer
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 2,321
Go to Ouray, run Black Bear into Telluride, have lunch, then Imogene back to Ouray. One of the best day trips in CO. A stock JK can handle both no problem, just take it slow on the shelf roads.
newracer is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 07-01-2013, 08:50 AM
turbospartan
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer View Post
Go to Ouray, run Black Bear into Telluride, have lunch, then Imogene back to Ouray. One of the best day trips in CO. A stock JK can handle both no problem, just take it slow on the shelf roads.

How about those 2 trails in a stock WK2 with QTII ?
turbospartan is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 07-16-2013, 02:11 PM
turbospartan
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 102
Bump.

Did the OP ever make it back from this trip? If so, where'd you go / what'd you see?
turbospartan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome