Planning epic road trip - input appreciated - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Planning epic road trip - input appreciated

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
nh1nh1

Planning epic road trip - input appreciated

Good Afternoon

Thursday my girlfriend and I are taking my stock JK and driving from NC to colorado and then the grand canyon. We are planning on taking I-70 to Colorado then going to the grand canyon and taking I40 home. We are a basic plan but I figured this would be a great place to ask for some must see places to see, stop, and take in. It will be both of our frist times in the midwest. We are planning on camping the entire way and doing a lot of hiking and outdoor stuff.

Regretably I doubt we will do much off roading unless the trail is super easy because my jeep is stock and we have to drive it 2k miles homes.

We have a basic plan and will have about 7 days to take in Ok, Co, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. What are you favorite spots to see that you would recommend? Doesnt have to be just hiking spots to see, eat, or breweries ect would all be appreciated...

Thanks

nh1nh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Most trails out here can be done with a stock JK. Check out www.traildamage.com for some good trails. If you know more details down the line im sure there will be people willing to hit up those trails with you. As for non-wheeling with a good hike I highly recommend Hanging Lake outside of Glenwood Colorado. Thing is you need to be their early in the morning. The parking lot fills up fast and you will have to wait for some spots to open.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
turbospartan
2012 WK 

If I were you, I'd hit as many of the National Parks as possible especially in Utah. Hanging Lake in Glenwood is definitely worth stopping for, on your way over to Utah.

Denver -> Hanging Lake -> Colorado Monument -> Moab / Arches National Park / Canyonlands National Park -> Capital Reef National Park -> Bryce Canyon National Park -> Zion National Park

After Zion you'd probably have to head back East to get to Grand Canyon National Park, unless you went over into Nevada and came back up through AZ. Havasu Falls in Grand Canyon NP is supposed to be awesome.

There are also some National Parks in Colorado, included Rocky Mountain NP, Mesa Verde (way down South, maybe you could head 40 East back to NC and take a quick detour to hit Mesa Verda and/or Great Sand Dunes NP?).

Tons of options.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
nh1nh1

awesome input thanks. Trail damage is a great website.

Black Bear pass looks amazing. I would love to drive that but thinking it might be too difficult for stock. But I definitely found a couple easier trails that we will definitely take now.

Thanks for the suggested route turbo. I cant wait to hit the road... waiting this next day and a half is killing me
nh1nh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh1nh1 View Post
awesome input thanks. Trail damage is a great website.

Black Bear pass looks amazing. I would love to drive that but thinking it might be too difficult for stock. But I definitely found a couple easier trails that we will definitely take now.

Thanks for the suggested route turbo. I cant wait to hit the road... waiting this next day and a half is killing me
It's not too hard for stock. The difficulty rating is for the fear/danger factor.
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
It's not too hard for stock. The difficulty rating is for the fear/danger factor.
Yup, its more of a puker factor for people who have not done a lot of passes and switchbacks with big drop offs. Doable in a stock JK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
If I were you, I'd hit as many of the National Parks as possible especially in Utah. Hanging Lake in Glenwood is definitely worth stopping for, on your way over to Utah.

Denver -> Hanging Lake -> Colorado Monument -> Moab / Arches National Park / Canyonlands National Park -> Capital Reef National Park -> Bryce Canyon National Park -> Zion National Park

After Zion you'd probably have to head back East to get to Grand Canyon National Park, unless you went over into Nevada and came back up through AZ. Havasu Falls in Grand Canyon NP is supposed to be awesome.

There are also some National Parks in Colorado, included Rocky Mountain NP, Mesa Verde (way down South, maybe you could head 40 East back to NC and take a quick detour to hit Mesa Verda and/or Great Sand Dunes NP?).

Tons of options.
This route would be incredible and well worth the extra mileage. Honestly I would only hit a few of the extremely scenic trails here (Black bear is one, maybe redcone) and hit up the national parks and spend your time there. Each one could be a 2-3 day expedition easily, other than hanging lake, which is about a 3-4 hour trip.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Sasquatch4x4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I myself am on a road trip, I'm from washington state and I'm about 2 weeks into my trip with no real end date. Driving around Colorado right now and spent the past few days in the San jauns, I drove black bear yesterday and it is an amazing trail and well worth the time and effort to get up there.
Unread 06-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

This has got to one of my favorite maps of the area.

http://www.coloradobeerguide.com/beermap.html
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

If visiting Zion Nat'l Park, take a few hours to hike the Narrows. You'll be hiking in a river bed that can vary in depth. It is one of the best times I ever had! Most of the time, you stayed dry above the knee, but there were a few spots where you might have to swim or float for a few yards. An amazing "hike".
jeep-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Go to Ouray, run Black Bear into Telluride, have lunch, then Imogene back to Ouray. One of the best day trips in CO. A stock JK can handle both no problem, just take it slow on the shelf roads.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer View Post
Go to Ouray, run Black Bear into Telluride, have lunch, then Imogene back to Ouray. One of the best day trips in CO. A stock JK can handle both no problem, just take it slow on the shelf roads.

How about those 2 trails in a stock WK2 with QTII ?
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Bump.

Did the OP ever make it back from this trip? If so, where'd you go / what'd you see?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.