Places near Glenwood/Basalt/Aspen for 4wheel tree viewing? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Places near Glenwood/Basalt/Aspen for 4wheel tree viewing?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 09-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Nice pics there. We did Cottonwood pass, so we weren't far from some of those places, and Kebler pass. Plan is later in the month we are going to make a return trip thru to catch the colors. Hopefully the colors will be close to peak the weekend of the 28th. The week before I'm busy with the ADA bike ride, and the wife is doing the Memory walk. Now what is the story with Maroon Bells and getting to the site to get pics?

streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
mgdenver
2013 JK Wrangler 

just drive to the end of maroon creek, there is a large parking lot. walk a few feet and witness greatness.

http://500px.com/search?q=maroon+bells
mgdenver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdenver
just drive to the end of maroon creek, there is a large parking lot. walk a few feet and witness greatness.

http://500px.com/search?q=maroon+bells
Haha. Very true though.
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

I was under the impression you have to take a shuttle bus, blah blah blah to get to the parking lot.

Any chance you chaps can disclose what equipment you are using?
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #20
mgdenver
2013 JK Wrangler 

you might need a shuttle if you going during peak hours, especially during the fall colors, ive been there for sunrise and its amazing, only a handful of people, if you get there before 8am you should be fine.

if you are into hiking there are some really cool trails in the area, just google them.

you can take a good photo there in the fall with almost any decent camera, ive got prints on my wall from a cheap point & shoot as well as some very nicer gear. id recommend a tripod so you can get the a good exposure in the morning without worry about shake or high ISO's. If your gonna go during mid day your pretty much good to go with any camera.
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Currently I have a Nikon d3100 with just the kit lens and a basic tripod(wishing I had a pistol grip). May end up renting another lens, and possibly another body later in the month when we go out for the colors. I can see a fight on my hands dragging my wife out of bed early. She growled at me sunday when I made her get up at 7am, and that was late for me,lol. Some of the best shooting light is early.
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #22
mgdenver
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ha! You can always do it solo :-) as its super easy drive.

Bring a wide angle lens (10-20mm in your case) for the bells since your limited with shooting positions. You might want to put on a polarizer too. I use lens rental. Com all the time if you don't have one. You can use a kit lens but your probably going to have to stitch multiple photos together after to get the full scene.

Shoot me an email to my gmail if you want ito dive into any other photogo stuff for the bells. Happy to suggest some ideas.
Unread 09-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #23
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

May have to do that. Used borrowlenses.com for a D7100 and a 14-24mm with filter. Got some decent pics with it, but it was a little wide for some of the shots I took with it last weekend. Ill send you a pm with my email on it.
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #24
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I recommend Borrowlenses.com - but only because my friend started it (they are a great company regardless though).
Unread 09-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #25
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Nice friend,lol. I've used them twice now with no problems. Some of my coworkers were stunned at the thought... you can really rent a camera? I may rent an fx body to go with my lil Nikon for the fall pics. D600 or D700 and a lens to go with it.
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #26
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Bump.

For those who have been up to Aspen, any recommendations on fairly easy 4x4 trails in the area? Probably need to be lower elevation, as there is snow higher up. Going up there this weekend with a few other couples, just looking for something to explore one of the days.

Was considering Castle Creek Road up to the Ashcroft Ghost Town, and then maybe hiking Cathedral Lake from there? Open to suggestions. Might be too late for colors, but that would ultimately be the goal (if any are going to be left).
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #27
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

As of this last Wednesday you could still drive up the Aspen ski hill and get quite a ways into Richmond Hill Rd. before the snow gets too deep at 12,000ft. The colors are still quite nice!
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
As of this last Wednesday you could still drive up the Aspen ski hill and get quite a ways into Richmond Hill Rd. before the snow gets too deep at 12,000ft. The colors are still quite nice!
Yep.... we drove up Express Creek Rd / Taylor Pass until the 1st hut and turned around, but many colors on the way up.

Then we drove up Aspen Mountain Summer Road until you get the switchback with the wall made of skis / snowboards, and turned around.

Colors were great on Aspen Mtn and in town.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.