Ouray trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Ouray trip

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ouray trip

Since I live here, not so much a trip as a short drive. Went down Camp Bird Road to Yankee Boy. Road was clear, a few muddy spots, and from the creek to the restrooms it's narrow one lane with snow drifts on both sides.

Here's a video from Camp Bird to the creek.

Colorado Jeep Club member #970 (I'm an area code!)
jim9251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Was wondering how some of the trails were looking over there right now. Know about any of the other trails in the area?
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

Here ya go:

http://soajeep.com/trail-maps-condit...il-conditions/
Unread 05-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
LeadfootCJ7

I just pulled into Ouray today. I was hoping to hit some trails. I was told Yankee Boy Basin is open. I was curious if there were any other's in the area that are open (even if only for a partial distance). I was also curious how bad to the Red Mountain Pass is to drive down to Silverton? I was going to take the Jeep, but from what some people in town make it sound, I am wondering if I should drop my trailer and take the truck.
Unread 05-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

Here ya go:

http://soajeep.com/trail-maps-condit...il-conditions/

Also Red Mountain will be open until Wednesday, then closed until mid to late June. HWY 550 from Ouray to Silverton is a narrow winding steep shelf road with no guard rails. If you take you time, you'll be fine.
Unread 05-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
LeadfootCJ7

Cool. Thanks for the info. Made it up Yankee Boy almost the entire way. Just the last bit was still blocked by snow. Made it a decent way across Governor's until there were cones at the 2nd water crossing. It looked clear well past it, but I wasn't going to move the cones and find out. Imogene actually looked open, but the water crossing was decently deep and running pretty hard. Since I was alone at that point, I passed. We drove the truck to Telluride this afternoon. It was pretty clear Black Bear was still fully snowed in.

The husband running the B&B we are at rides a dirtbike and was out today riding. I figure I will ask him in the morning if he found any more open trails.
Unread 05-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

I went up Owl Creek Pass today outside of Ridgway. Got almost to Deb's Meadow and as I passed the parked snowplow, went about another few yards and that was the end. Still a lot of snow up there. Also drove Ouray Co Road 7 to the Blue Lakes trailhead parking. Clear all the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsec...Hs6t2gvHq40Qvw
Unread 05-28-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
LeadfootCJ7

Got to Silverton around 1 today and was told Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass were both clear to the top of the pass. We took County Rd 2 up to Animas and ran both Engineer and Cinnamon. Cinnamon looked to be clear well past the top, but we decided not to continue because of time and the possibility of not being able to turn around once we started down the other side.

One guy we ran into on Engineer told us that Corkscrew is completely open. I haven't had a chance to verify that though.
Unread 05-29-2014, 06:26 AM   #9
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at the states road condition web site, it states the following:
(http://www.cotrip.org/home.htm;jsess...25B9704F.node1)

"US 550 is closed over Red Mountain Pass daily, Monday-Saturday 8:30AM-12:30PM & 1:30PM - 6:30PM during rockfall mitigation work likely through June 13th.

Alternate route: From Ridgeway, Hwy 62 to Hwy 145, then to US 160 (reversed coming from Durango). Alternate route is approximately 88 miles

All other times traffic will be in a single-lane alternating traffic operation controlled by a traffic signal.
Road Closure began May 11th, 2014 at 10:42am"

There is also a map showing the subject area. From just south of Ouray to Crystal Lake (about where Corkscrew intersects with hwy 550). A distance of about 5-6 miles, mile marker 87-92.

As that is the area to access Corkscrew and Mineral Creek (to Engineers and Poughkeepsie) are any of those trails being open or being cleared?

As I recall that part of 550 is mostly all shelf road.

Jim, I liked your video going up to Yankee boy, how difficult would it be to do the same in that one lane closure on 550? Looks like a one hour window at lunch or before 8:30AM or after 6:30PM would be the only time to run it.

There has got to be a lot of rock fall if its going to take tell mid June working 8 hour days to get it back open

Dif,
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
LeadfootCJ7

The guy we ran into on the trail said that Corkscrew wasn't open "from Ouray", but it was completely open. I tried to get a little more detail and wasn't sure I understood. I believe you can get to corkscrew from CR 110 out of Silverton based on one of the maps I have. The rockslide on 550 is right past the entrance to Engineer when heading towards Ouray. It did not look blocked, but we did not get to Engineer's Pass that way. We went up from Animas Fork.

I have heard from several people that Ophir is open to the pass from the 550 side. It looked open when we drove by yesterday, but it was getting late so we did not try it.
Unread 05-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadfootCJ7 View Post
The guy we ran into on the trail said that Corkscrew wasn't open "from Ouray", but it was completely open. I tried to get a little more detail and wasn't sure I understood. I believe you can get to corkscrew from CR 110 out of Silverton based on one of the maps I have. The rockslide on 550 is right past the entrance to Engineer when heading towards Ouray. It did not look blocked, but we did not get to Engineer's Pass that way. We went up from Animas Fork.

I have heard from several people that Ophir is open to the pass from the 550 side. It looked open when we drove by yesterday, but it was getting late so we did not try it.
That could make sense, Corkscrew very well may be open to Hwy550. If the map that the Colorado DOT has for the 550 closure is accurate, then the Corkscrew/550 intersect would be south of where the closure starts (closure being north of that point). So Corkscrew could be done from Silverton to 550 and return south via 550 to Silverton. If you haven't done Corkscrew, do it. It is a favorite of mine. The red mountain colors are so pretty, but then they may be all snow covered right now. (my current icon on jeepfourm is taken on a side trail from Corkscrew)

Mineral creek if often noted as Engineer pass trail from 550, so that may be where some of the rockslide is, sounds as if you drove the closed part and the Mineral Creek/Engineer Pass trail.

The part of Ophir pass that is west of the pass summit (and west of 550) is a shelf road on a very very steep slope that faces north and west. It would make since that they have not cleared that yet.

Thanks so much for the info, would love to see it this time of year.

Dif
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Heading to Silverton/Durango/Ouray/Telluride this Friday. Going backpacking for a week in the Chicago Basin. The week after that (late June) we are staying in Ouray and want to hit the trails there. My vehicle is in my sig below and the other is a stock JKU with Terra Grapplers. I did a portion of Enginner in 2012 which was fine. The other trails I want to do are Imogene, Black Bear, Cinnamon, Hurricane, Ophir, Engineer. I wanted some input on if Imogene and Black Bear are doable with the WK2. I am not that concerned with my buddies JKU. Obviously we will only do these trails if they are open and weather permits. My WK2 is decently outifitted but just wondering if the IFS/IRS coupled with the lack of "enough" ground clearance will be a more-than-normal-risk. I have read trail reports, trail damage, other forums, etc to research but I have yet to find anything that really talks about the WK2 or vehicles with IFS/IRS if they can do these harder trails.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #13
LeadfootCJ7

There was a bone stock WK like yours on Engineer when I was up there and they told us they had just done Cinnamon. I am talking down to the street tires stock. I don't imagine you will have any trouble with Engineer, Cinnamon, Animas Forks, and Yankee Boy Basin. I ran all of those and you should be fine. Engineer and Cinnamon are the only ones I even put my Jeep into 4WD for and it wasn't really necessary, I just wanted the lower gearing. I cannot say for the other because I did not run them. Based on what I read and Youtube video's I saw, I think you would be fine esp with your buddy along in a JKU. Worst case you might need a little spotting in some areas, but I would think you are fine.
Unread 06-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadfootCJ7 View Post
There was a bone stock WK like yours on Engineer when I was up there and they told us they had just done Cinnamon. I am talking down to the street tires stock. I don't imagine you will have any trouble with Engineer, Cinnamon, Animas Forks, and Yankee Boy Basin. I ran all of those and you should be fine. Engineer and Cinnamon are the only ones I even put my Jeep into 4WD for and it wasn't really necessary, I just wanted the lower gearing. I cannot say for the other because I did not run them. Based on what I read and Youtube video's I saw, I think you would be fine esp with your buddy along in a JKU. Worst case you might need a little spotting in some areas, but I would think you are fine.
Awesome. Just curious...are you talking about a WK, the previous model (solid axles) or my model year (the "WK2" with IFS/IRS)?

Black Bear and Imogene are the only ones I am worried about but I just watched a 60-minute Imogene trail-video (from the Telluride side to Ouray) and it appeared to be pretty mild.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #15
LeadfootCJ7

It was a WK2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.