Ouray Trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Ouray Trip

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
BobA
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ouray Trip

My 2 kids (13and 15) and Myself will be trveling out to Ouray in july for a week. We will be doing day trips from there each day.
What is a good selection/combination of trails to do each day?
I figure One day for the Alpine loop and then have 4-5 days available for the rest. Will need extra time for a little hiking and picture taking as well. I'd like to take in some of the less crowded areas but still take in old mines,big view's and ghost towns. Are there any better spots to Base camp and daytrip out of besides Ouray?

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

This is a good all day trip. I started from Ridgway State Park, where I was camping.
http://g.co/maps/v4ced

There is also the campground just above Ouray that is nice to stay at. Although it seems to rain less up in Ridgway.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Engineer Pass, Yankee Boy Basin, Imogene Pass. There are lots of trails around Ouray.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
Engineer Pass, Yankee Boy Basin, Imogene Pass. There are lots of trails around Ouray.
Perfect main course...

then for dessert Black Bear and/or Poughkeepsie...
Unread 03-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxbicon View Post
perfect main course...

Then for dessert black bear and/or poughkeepsie...
x2
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Personally I think Ouray is the best place to base out of. I think one of the best day trips is take Black Bear into Telluride, lunch in Telluride, the Imogene back over to Ouray. Start early though as it will be along day if you stop frequently.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

We always camp at Ridgeway State Park, pretty good weather and little rain in July (few minutes here and there). Imogene is one trail we hit every year. Start in Ouray and finish in Telluride and cruise the town for a bit. The kids love it.

We go back to camp from there, or cruise back into Ouray for some dinner and beer at the pub. I want to finish Poughkeepsie Gulch, but every year we have been going early July and there is still too much snow, so we're going to try late July this year and try Black Bear too.
[CENTER][COLOR="Silver"]Colorado Jeep Member #155[/COLOR][/CENTER]
pryde551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
-Zona-

July is usually a busy time on the trails, so make sure you get early starts every day. If you are swinging through Durango hit me up, we'll grab a beer.
-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
rcrupper
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
My 2 kids (13and 15) and Myself will be trveling out to Ouray in july for a week. We will be doing day trips from there each day.
What is a good selection/combination of trails to do each day?
I figure One day for the Alpine loop and then have 4-5 days available for the rest. Will need extra time for a little hiking and picture taking as well. I'd like to take in some of the less crowded areas but still take in old mines,big view's and ghost towns. Are there any better spots to Base camp and daytrip out of besides Ouray?
what part of july? i will be there with my wife and 2 boys july 16-20 and would be interested in running some trails together. i've been there once but years ago, great place.

thanks
rob
rcrupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Fizzle1979
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just the info I needed...I'll be there in September. Does anyone know of any good rafting places they could suggest? Never done rafting but always wanted to and figured it has to happen on this trip.
| 2010 JK Unlimited Mountain | Rescue Green | Rugged Ridge Front Bumper | Rugged Ridge Winch Spacer | Rugged Ridge Rear Bumper | Rugged Ridge Tire Carrier | Warn Powerplant HD | Mopar Rock Sliders | Synergy Suspension Front & Rear Grab Handles | AEV 2.5" Lift | AEV Savegre Black Wheels | BFGR 35x12.50x17 KM2s | Rigid Dually LED | Boom Mat
Fizzle1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
racingchester
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If things work out I will be in Silverton late June through July. Been going up there off and on for about 30 years...Had a 68 and 74 Bronco through those years. First time with a Jeep this year...
racingchester is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.