Ouray Silverton Telluride Aug 2-4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Ouray Silverton Telluride Aug 2-4

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
hatch524
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ouray Silverton Telluride Aug 2-4

Greetings from Arizona! To make a long story short, my father-in-law was infected with the Jeep bug last summer in Moab (I invited him to ride along for a few days). He is from Colorado Springs and wants to Jeep in the Ouray area the first week of August. I have never Jeeped in Colorado and hoped to tag along on any runs you may have August 2,3, or 4. We are staying in the Ouray KOA and have an open schedule.

I have a 99 TJ Locked F/R on 35s, RE 4.5 long arm lift, full skids and body armor. While we hit the trails pretty hard down here, we are not looking for anything too hardcore our first time in Colorado.

Even if you don't have runs set up, let me know what trails I shouldn't miss!

Thanks,
Tom
Member Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
www.virtualjeepclub.com

hatch524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you have never jeeped Colorado, you got to do Black Bear pass...very high first time pucker factor, and the view down the valley is postcard type of stuff.

To add to the pucker...I think it is one of the most lethal trails in Colorado too.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
hatch524
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93
If you have never jeeped Colorado, you got to do Black Bear pass...very high first time pucker factor, and the view down the valley is postcard type of stuff.

To add to the pucker...I think it is one of the most lethal trails in Colorado too.
I looked up Black Bear this morning; looks like a great trail. A friend from my club ran it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Being use to dry and rough rocks, what types of obstacles will I encounter? Mostly off camber stuff or mud?? I did drive up Mt. Antero last summer with my father-in-law but we didn't see anything his Pathfinder couldn't handle.
Unread 07-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Imogene, Engineer, Yankee Boy Basin...IMHO if you're going to be in the area, do ALL of the trails
Unread 07-19-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You might ping our local club http://creeperjeepers.org/home.html I'm already booked with house stuff that weekend but someone may be up for a run or two.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
hatch524
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan
You might ping our local club http://creeperjeepers.org/home.html I'm already booked with house stuff that weekend but someone may be up for a run or two.
I may have missed something, but could not find a way to contact members through the website. Also, nothing was listed the first week of August on the calender besides a month long event in Salida. Is there a way to see if anyone has a run planned?
Unread 07-20-2007, 05:13 AM   #7
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

The "contact" button is way down at the bottom left of the page. Not at all where you would expect it.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 07-20-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
hatch524
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The "contact" button is way down at the bottom left of the page. Not at all where you would expect it.
Thanks for your help. I sent an email to your group.
Unread 07-20-2007, 06:49 AM   #9
dnrisden
Rise of the Silver Slinky

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Imogene, Engineer, Yankee Boy Basin...IMHO if you're going to be in the area, do ALL of the trails
The Family and I are planning a week outing 2-8 SEP to go down that area. We will be camping and running trails that entire week.
dnrisden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2007, 07:39 AM   #10
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatch524
I looked up Black Bear this morning; looks like a great trail. A friend from my club ran it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Being use to dry and rough rocks, what types of obstacles will I encounter? Mostly off camber stuff or mud?? I did drive up Mt. Antero last summer with my father-in-law but we didn't see anything his Pathfinder couldn't handle.
Black Bear pass is just kinda stuck on the side of a steep mountain. There are 2 hard parts, but not too hard, 1 at the top of the pass on a step, the other is called the steps, and is a steep step, after the hard parts, it gets exciting, you have switch-backs, real switch-backs too.
Black bear can be done in a stock Ranger pickup with little bottom bashing, I did it in one once.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
hatch524
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like Black Bear is on the agenda.
Unread 07-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
hatch524
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Leaving in around 10 days. No bites yet?
Unread 07-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #13
hatch524
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm coming up a day earlier then originally posted; leaving on Tuesday the 31st. That's an extra day to wheel! I found a nice 97 TJ here in Phoenix and my Father-in-law bought it two days ago. I'll be bringing my TJ and his up on Tuesday.

I head Black Bear is closed (maybe permanently). It's a shame as I was looking forward to that trail.
Unread 07-29-2007, 09:28 AM   #14
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Don't think BB is closed unless it happened in the last 7 days. I just ran it last Saturday and the club is scheduled to go up and do trail maintenance on the 11th.

If you don't get any bites on folks to run with stop by a book store (Maria's on main in Durango is good) and pick up a copy of Guide to Colorado Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles Wells. It's a great guide to all of the southern CO trails and covers the Ouray/Silverton area very well.
Enjoy
Dave

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 07-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #15
hatch524
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Don't think BB is closed unless it happened in the last 7 days. I just ran it last Saturday and the club is scheduled to go up and do trail maintenance on the 11th.

If you don't get any bites on folks to run with stop by a book store (Maria's on main in Durango is good) and pick up a copy of Guide to Colorado Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles Wells. It's a great guide to all of the southern CO trails and covers the Ouray/Silverton area very well.
Enjoy
Dave
Thanks for the tip. I have two of his books (Moab and Arizona) and plan to get the South West Colorado book tomorrow. Half dozen guys from my club ran Black Bear last week and a few days later posted news of a mudslide that took out some of the switch backs. I'll have to verify if it is closed. They posted photos of the mud slide from across the canyon.

See the second post on this link
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...t=24080&page=5

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.