Ouray, Lake City, Silverton, Telluride Trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Ouray, Lake City, Silverton, Telluride Trip

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Ouray, Lake City, Silverton, Telluride Trip

A group of West Texas jeeps are headed for some jeepin in the San Juans. a couple of us have been before, and there are some new jeeps this trip.

If anyone would like to join in, you are welcome, we will arriving mid day on July 31. If you have a common interest, PM for more details.

We are hoping the work on Black Bear Pass will be completed while we are there.

Our list is Imogene, Engineers, Cinnamon, California, Hurricane, Corkscrew, Black Bear, Stony, Poughkeepsie and any thing else that works in.

h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Black Bear is supposed to be opening today, Poughkeepsie is still closed with no date set.

Have fun!

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
FunTreks
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Black Bear is supposed to be opening today, Poughkeepsie is still closed with no date set.

Have fun!
We ran Poughkeepsie last week with the folks from the FJ Summit...it's open all the way to the top.
FunTreks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I trying to plan some of these trails a few weekends from now. Wish I could join up with you guys. Have fun and post a lot of pics!
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post

Have fun!
The forest service web site indicates that Black Bear was closing to all traffic (foot, vehicle, etc) for repairs starting July 25 and that work would continue through the "season".

So does that mean that it is closed for a few days due to the danger of the repairs and then open while minor repairs are being completed?
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

It was only supposed to be closed on the 25th to bring equipment down. The work is at the bottom of the Telliride side and is over at 10 AM. FS site also shows Poughkeepsie closed so may not be 100% accurate.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojeep View Post
A group of West Texas jeeps are headed for some jeepin in the San Juans. a couple of us have been before, and there are some new jeeps this trip.

If anyone would like to join in, you are welcome, we will arriving mid day on July 31. If you have a common interest, PM for more details.

We are hoping the work on Black Bear Pass will be completed while we are there.

Our list is Imogene, Engineers, Cinnamon, California, Hurricane, Corkscrew, Black Bear, Stony, Poughkeepsie and any thing else that works in.
My wife and I will be staying in a cabin in Pitkin for a week from July 29 through August 5. We are planning one full day of jeepin' in the San Juans, but are not sure which day it will be. We have been to this same cabin and a day of wheeling in the San Juans for the past 4 years always in the first week of August. Would be interested in catching up with you guys while you are there. We are pretty flexible on our schedule, except for Thursday, August 4 in which we have a contact out of Buena Vistathat we wheel with each year. PM me with a schedule if you have one and a phone number so we can get in touch.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Idared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

There have been getting some major rain showers near Telluride and lots of mud slides have been happening.My son works for Cdot and has been quite busy up that way. I would keep checking the road reports for your trails you are taking. I would love to catch up with you but am involved in a Mancos Days celebration. Have fun and if you need anything let us know.
Idared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
mrfast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

We ran Black Bear Wed. with no problems, it officially opened Monday! We have ran most of the trails since Sunday July 24th. with no problems at all. Telluride did get a lot of rain Tuesday but it didn't seem to effect the trails any--that we ran anyway.

We have done almost all the trail's on your list.

I love Ouray--hate for my vacation to end!
mrfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I wish I saw this thread earlier. I'm vacationing in Durango. Unfortunately I left my LJ in Chicago. I rented a TJ yesterday and took it from Silverton to Animas Forks and then took the California pass around and back to Silverton. It was a great time!

We have a Ford Explorer as our regular rental and I've taken it on the Ophir pass trail. It did fine on that trail.

The ghost town at Animas Forks is pretty cool. It's worth checking out if you do the California pass trail.

This is an amazing area! I hope to come back next year with my LJ.
dsc02270b.jpg  
Unread 08-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for everyone's comments and advise.

We found all the trails, passes, etc open. The work on Black Bear continues at night and is open through the day.

It was a great trip for us. Working up photos now for a thread later.

Dif
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.