Ouray area trail status - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Ouray area trail status

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
olaverty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ouray area trail status

Heading up to Ouray for the long wknd and was planning on taking Ophir over to Telluride and Imogene back, however I see conflicting status on the passes.
This site says closed Sep 25:
http://www.sanmiguelcounty.org/depar...dge/index.html

These all say currently open:
Forest Service
Switzerland of America
Ouray Town Site

Is one site more reliable than the others? Also if they closed in Sep for snow would they re-open if possible or do they stay closed til next summer? I know just call but am at work right now and can't. Weather looks good this wknd just a little chilly.

If they are closed are there any other recommendations in the area? Have done the entire Alpine loop, was thinking maybe just exploring the gulches such as Minne, Maggie, Cunningham, etc. Really enjoy old mill and mine sites.
Thanks for any tips.

olaverty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
LaddieHanus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The forest service and the town site were updated in June, the Switzerland site was updated in August. So I would go with the county which is more current. Anytime after Labor Day conditions can turn. When I was down there this summer several jeep rental agencies were good about giving trail conditions

97 TJ Sahara
89 YJ
2000 Dodge/Cummins Lance Camper
2004 GC Limited (Wife Jeep)
LaddieHanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
olaverty
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well all the trails are still open, no snow at all. Had a great time, well except when I dropped a tire off a washed out trail up in governor's basin and almost rolled down the cliff. Had to winch it backwards to a rock outcrop. Pretty hairy but worked out good.
olaverty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.