Ouray - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Ouray

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
wdw
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ouray

Next summer I am going to be going to Ouray. I am looking foward to this trip, but I need a question answered.

I have a '97 Ford gas truck and will be pulling my Jeep TJ on a 18 foot trailer.
Will I have any problems pulling the hill out of Denver on the interstate going West?

I don't know what to expect out of the fuel injection. Will I slow down going up the mountian?

Thanks for any input.

WW

Unread 12-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Idared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If your gas truck has a 450 in it you should be fine.. just pass everything but a gas station. But if you are in a 1/2 ton expect a slower drive. Give yourself plenty of time either way.

As a matter of fact I do Jeep like a girl. :-)
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #635[/COLOR] Colorado Jeep Club #550
Idared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
wdw
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. It is a 5.4. I did not think I could run up it very fast.
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Which route are you going? Southern route is less of an incline out of Denver but Monarch pass is steep and long. That is the route I would recommend, much nicer drive and less traffic.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer View Post
Which route are you going? Southern route is less of an incline out of Denver but Monarch pass is steep and long. That is the route I would recommend, much nicer drive and less traffic.
I agree-when you get to Denver, take I25 south to Pueblo, then US50 west. Fewer mountains to cross & it's a nice drive.
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
-Zona-

I'd consider I25 to US160 if you want less of a on-road challenge.
-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Zona- View Post
I'd consider I25 to US160 if you want less of a on-road challenge.
US160 goes to Durango, which is on the wrong side of the San Juans if the OP is planning on staying in Ouray. Plus, he'd have to tow over Wolf Creek pass, which is even steeper than Monarch.
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
I agree-when you get to Denver, take I25 south to Pueblo, then US50 west. Fewer mountains to cross & it's a nice drive.
I was thinking 285 out of Denver then 50 west. That is the way I usually go.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
wdw
2010 JK Wrangler 

I will be staying in Ouray. We are going to be out there for the Jeep Jamboree, then staying in a condo for 2 months.
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
-Zona-

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
US160 goes to Durango, which is on the wrong side of the San Juans if the OP is planning on staying in Ouray. Plus, he'd have to tow over Wolf Creek pass, which is even steeper than Monarch.
-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

I would definately go a different route once to denver, then going straight west. You'll have to cross at least one ridge no matter what way you go. Monarch is a 6%, curvy, and long, as it tops 11,000 feet. Its not horrible, as Ive done it numerous times loaded in an 18wheeler. If you go down us285 out of denver, youll also hit Kenosha pass, while not very high, its one more to go over. Id suggest I-25 south to C.springs, and take hwy115 by fort carson, and cut off a few miles, vs going to pueblo and grabbing hwy 50 there. Hwy 50 does get to be slow going from gunnison to montrose though, IMO with a trailer. Overdrive will be out of the question even on flat ground out here for your setup. Make sure you have trailer brakes that work properly, and make sure you know how to decend steep grades that go for 5-10 miles. Leaving it in drive and riding the brakes down any of the big passes will result in a nice little fireball. We see a few dozen vehicles in my shop every summer from flat landers smoking their brakes out here, just to warn you. Other then that, have a blast out here, and spend lots of your money with us,lol.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
wdw
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks streetglideok . I was looking at the route you said. I am going to buy a new trailer for this trip, so brakes should be OK. I do not intend to use a truck run off ramp. I am a retired truck driver [O/O] and have spent some time in CO. I ran 48 states.

"Spend lots of money ". I am going to have a good time.
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Lol, I drove 48 states and canada at one time too. You dont need an introduction to mountain grade 101 then,lol. Just an FYI, its 7% coming out of the Ike tunnels on I-70 going west.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #14
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw View Post
Next summer I am going to be going to Ouray. I am looking foward to this trip, but I need a question answered.

I have a '97 Ford gas truck and will be pulling my Jeep TJ on a 18 foot trailer.
Will I have any problems pulling the hill out of Denver on the interstate going West?

I don't know what to expect out of the fuel injection. Will I slow down going up the mountian?

Thanks for any input.

WW
I have pulled my jeep and trailer (about 5500lbs total) with Ford 5.4 half ton truck and it pulled fine (coming up from Durango, Red Mt. pass). Most of the speed limits posted are under 50 mph.

However

The problem may not be engine power. The pass driving, down shifting etc is hard on the transmission.

I pulled my jeep with my FX4 half ton for a couple of years with the worst pulling being the San Juan mountains. Last Spring, with fairly easy pulling in Big Bend, ate my transmission. While I was well under weight ratings, every transmission guy I talked with said the half ton transmissions would not hold up.

A month after replacing my transmission, I bought a 3/4 ton with an Allison Transmission. Everything is by far better for towing.
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
wdw
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ogun View Post
I have pulled my jeep and trailer (about 5500lbs total) with Ford 5.4 half ton truck and it pulled fine (coming up from Durango, Red Mt. pass). Most of the speed limits posted are under 50 mph.

However

The problem may not be engine power. The pass driving, down shifting etc is hard on the transmission.

I want a 3/4 ton, but my wife knows more than I do. So if the transmission goes out, I guess I get my wish. We will have to get back to the flatland.

Thanks h2ogun. I never thought about the transmission.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.