Options for Worn Out Soft Top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Options for Worn Out Soft Top

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
pearj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Options for Worn Out Soft Top

This morning I tried to tap snow off the back window from the inside, and the brush went right through. I knew they were brittle when cold, but I didn't think they'd be that brittle.. seems like I barely tapped it. At any rate, now I have a hole in my soft top's rear window...

The bright side is that the duct tape matches the Jeep's color.

That's added to the other issues with the soft top - they're far to tinted, the zippers don't work on the side windows, they are brush-marked all the way around, the sides over the doors don't channel water away (plastic's to worn), they are somehow stained inside from the previous owner, the edges don't meet which leaves gaps and lets in rain, snow, cold and noise...

I've considered a hard top, but don't have a place to store it - and I enjoy the convenience of the soft top.

So I've wanted to replace the soft top for a while now, but with the hole I'm going to need to do it sooner than later.

Having been previously wanting to replace it, I've mildly looked into options... I thought I'd see a seamstress / alterations place to see how much it'd be to replace / fix the zippers. I heard just the plastic windows could be replaced so I could get less tenting. I was going to compare those costs with the cost of a new one to see..

So - has anyone replaced the windows in a soft top, or had an alterations place fix zippers? If so, about how much was that? Any recommended place?

If anyone's replaced their soft top, are there any brand recommendations, or ones to stay away from? Is one shop cheaper than another to buy / pickup?

Are there other options besides replacing the windows / zippers or whole top?

pearj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Duct tape the hole for now, and I've heard (but can't confirm) there are replacement windows available. OEM top?
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
pearj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yep - OEM top.

I carry a roll of duct tape on board, so I was able to fix when I got to work...

I've heard the same thing - replacing the window would definitively work - and I could squeeze more life out of the top - so I was hoping someone had done that (replaced a soft window) so I could get an idea of who to call to start pricing..

It could possibly be a kit or something, so I could do it myself...
Unread 04-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Waiting to hear re window patching / replacement.

As for zippers - I checked a local canvas shop and the prices were over the 1/2-way price for a new top. In the end, I went the low cost route and did it myself. I didn't replace the zippers (could have) but I did end up sewing several feet of stitching, by hand, over a few nights (hour or two each night). The top's old and had shrunk and pulled stitching out near several zippers (side windows and back window). I added material where it was too stretched. So far so good.
JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
pearj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilliamson View Post
Waiting to hear re window patching / replacement.
I just got off the phone with a local place (Denver) on options. The business name was Blazing Auto Trim. Cost wise they were:

------------------------------------
Zipper Fix = $140 - $190 (depending on how badly worn)

Replace Back Window (tinted) = $160

Replace All 3 Windows (tinted) = $350

Replace All 3 Windows (tinted) And Fix Zipper = $430

Non-tinted is about 20 less.
------------------------------------

Out of curiosity I checked the least expensive replacement top on quadratec. The brand was "Pavement Ends".

The cost for a Pavement Ends full replacement top was $299 or $309 tinted on quadratec.

JCW was $30 more, other retailers were $50 - $70 more... somehow making quadratec the cheapest.

...So - I could replace the windows and zipper for $430 -or- get a new top with new windows and new zippers for $300.

Has anyone used "Pavement Ends" products or have any reviews?

Unread 04-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
RDHouston
2003 TJ Wrangler 

May be of no help now but I kinda did the same thing to one of my side windows on a cold morning (17F).

I laminated the inside of the window with clear(ish) contact paper. It's not crystal but it kept the top going which is a stock top on an 03 Rubi. It's still that way but it's my side window too so not like I'm lookin out through it.
" Insert really witty or insightful saying here. " - [COLOR="Red"][B]Red Jeep Club # 637[/B][/COLOR] - [B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Colorado Jeep Club # 249[/COLOR][/B] - [URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/116230693616460044990/JeepAdventures?authuser=0&feat=directlink"][SIZE="4"]Lucy's Adventures[/SIZE][/URL]
RDHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Shag
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My top is a pavement ends top that I bought used. The fit isn't the best, and I doubt it was even when new. There are visible gaps where the top meets the doors. I've had the top about 3 years now and the zippers are still in pretty good shape.

Shaun
Buy Shag A Lifetime Membership
Quote:
Originally Posted by afbond03
....just need a nice tug it would be really simple to get me from behind just pull me back....
rbowling is a thief. I bought these gears from him, and now I am out my money and still no gears. Do not trust him.
Shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Justin04Lj

Got my oem unlimited tj soft top on Craigslist for 300 tinted windows and fits like a dream.
Justin04Lj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.