Opinions on wheel spacers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Opinions on wheel spacers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #1
stangman68inftc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Opinions on wheel spacers

What do ya'll think about wheel spacers? I've been looking for a while now for a set of black steelies to no avail. Whenever i find some that sound good, they are either only 7 inch wide, in colorado springs and the guy tells me he wont meet me in denver so I call the next day to drive down to the springs and he's sold them, or they are really crappy condition. Basically I'm not wanting to shell out 200 bucks for a brand new set, thats why ive been looking used, but lately ive been thinking about spacers instead. I like my current wheels just fine, and you can get a set of spacers for 100 bucks. Anyone have any experience? Likes or dislikes? Thanks for the input guys.

Colorado Jeep Club member #87
stangman68inftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
stangman68inftc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Also, for those who might know, would 1.5 inch spacers be too much for my stock wheels or would they be okay?
Unread 08-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Just replied to the same question in the GC forum. My answer:

I'm using 1.25" spacers with my stock wheels without any problems whatsoever. The end result will basically be the same thing as buying a wheel with a smaller offset. You just have to make sure to re-torque the spacers every time you rotate your tires and you should be good to go.

Most people will tell you that you can buy 4 new steel wheels for the same price or cheaper than the spacers will cost you, but I personally like the look of a lifted Jeep with stock wheels, and I got all 4 of my spacers used for $100.

Hope that helps. I don't have a clue as to what kind of backspacing you should be looking for with a TJ...sorry.
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

After doing my waggy D44 swap, I decide it wasn't enough width. I have been running 1.5" spacers for about 3 yrs now. No problems with them or drivetrain parts yet. I suggest looking into spidertrex wheel spacers. I know you said you didn't want new, but I don't believe in cheaping out on these things. Remember to use red locktite on the threads of the axle lugs.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Oh yeah, forgot about the locktite. I used red on mine as well.
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 08-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I do not understand this???
I am always on the least popular side on everything...

When I did my 8.8, the thing is 1.5 inches narrower than stock, so I looked into wheel spacers. Right now, I have done nothing to correct the narrow axles, I will prolly gat a Super 88, this adds 1.5 inches.

A couple points:
I have seen a wheel fall off on trail, using wheel spacers with my own eyes.
Discount and other tire retailers WILL NOT warranty tires used on vehicles with wheel spacers.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93
I do not understand this???
I am always on the least popular side on everything...

When I did my 8.8, the thing is 1.5 inches narrower than stock, so I looked into wheel spacers. Right now, I have done nothing to correct the narrow axles, I will prolly gat a Super 88, this adds 1.5 inches.

A couple points:
I have seen a wheel fall off on trail, using wheel spacers with my own eyes.
Discount and other tire retailers WILL NOT warranty tires used on vehicles with wheel spacers.
I have also seen people wheel fall off cars on the side of the road. You can tell because of the ground down rotor. Wheel spacers are a item you must check. I do believe many people put them on and don't check the torque on them. A few bad apples ruin the bunch. Also I do believe there is a huge differance in a quality spacer vs. the ebay specials. The toyota crowd has been using spacers of long time because their axle are alway narrow for big tires.

On the Discount warranty..... You shouldn't be buying their expensive warranty anyway. Their is a reason why they push sooooo hard for the warranties and it isn't to do you a favor. You have to ruin two set of tire before you save a dime.

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

They are definitely an item that requires routine checking, but if you're rotating your tires like you should be it really isn't that big of a deal to check the torque on them while you're at it.

I've said it once and I'll say it again...there isn't a difference between a wheel with smaller offset and spacers as long as you keep up with checking the torque on the spacers (this is assuming that the spacers are quality hub-centric units like Spidertrax).
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 08-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I check my everytime I rotate my tires. I haven't come across a loose lug yet.

www.rockfrogs.org
Unread 08-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #10
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Spidertrax 1.25" spacers here. No problems yet.
New ones will run you $200 for four. Bought mine used.
Jim
Unread 08-27-2007, 11:02 PM   #11
stangman68inftc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I found these on craigslist, do you think they are cheapo knockoffs?
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/pts/403666432.html
Unread 08-28-2007, 08:25 AM   #12
Naturalhoosier
1998 ZJ 

What is the physical difference between the e-bay knockoffs and the spidertrax? They both come w/the add'l lugs. They both seem to machined from 6061T6 anodized aluminum. It seems like (and this is only from my readings) that you just need to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't come loose. So as stated before, it's just the matter of checking the lugs.

Again, I have no experience, but just eyeing them, that seems to be the case.

My Ride: 1998 GC Limited
Colorado Jeep Club Member #15
Black Jeep Club Member #1976

Make the world a better place, punch a Boilermaker in the face!!!

Don't blame me...I didn't vote for him.
Naturalhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Nick -

The cheapo ebay ones aren't hub-centric so they can work on numerous vehicles/manufacturers. Spidertrax are hub-centric, so the weight of the vehicle is supported mostly on the hub itself, and not on the lugs. I'm actually running the cheapo ones, but I'd prefer to have a hub-centric design.
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 08-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #14
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangman68inftc
I found these on craigslist, do you think they are cheapo knockoffs?
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/pts/403666432.html
Those look like the same ones I have. If you get them, you just have to be really sure to stay on top of the torque on them.
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 08-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #15
Volcom

I run 1.5" spacers along with some 15x10 2.5 inch backspaced wheels on my Toyota with no problems. I also check the spacer lugs every time I take the front tires off.

Drive it like your sponsored
Volcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.