Ok, axle is swapped, now a vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Ok, axle is swapped, now a vibration

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 05-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Cthomp85
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, axle is swapped, now a vibration

Denver Metro area, I got my rear axle swapped out for an 8.8 and upgraded the front D30 to 4.88 gears. When I left the shop I noticed there was a bit of play in the axles and then a lot of vibration once I hit the highway. I pulled the rear driveshaft and drove it down the road a lil bit in front wheel and boom, no vibrations at all.
So now, after explaining that, I have 2 questions-
1) Should there be very much slack in the gears in the axle housings
2)How do y'all think I should go about fixing this problem? T-case drop, MML, SYE, etc?

Any help/suggestions is appreciated, and I will also take some suggestions on where to get work done as I am from no where near this area!

Cthomp85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The vibrations are obvious. Your pinion angle is wrong.
If you pulled the drive shaft and the vibes stopped, that is a big "look at me". You need to reset the pinion angle on the rear axle. The easiest way is a transfer case drop and mml. An sye is the best way, but it opens a whole 'nother can of worms, you would STILL need to adjust the axle pinion, but by re-welding the perches, instead of spacers on the tc.(pinion angle vibrations are from the u-joints in the drive shaft out of sink and vibrating)

The slack... The amount of rotation you can do to one wheel before the other spins? The amount of in/out on the tires?
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Shouldn't be much slack in the gears; are they howling or making any noise?
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Like Jeepster said, it is your pinion angle most likely.

An alternative would be your drive shaft is out of alignment. This would pop up now because the higher gear ratio means everything is spinning faster to do the same speed as previous.
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Who did the work?
Nevermind just saw your post on SFF.
Likely is your pinion angle. There should be some backlash in the gears but not a ton unless you put in auto lockers. Keep in mind the 8.8 offsets to the side as well as up/down. Your driveshaft may not like the new situation.
Jim
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Cthomp85
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm doing a SYE(I know, should already have been done). The rear axle looks to be angled up towards the back of my Tcase already, so HOPING the sye fixes that.
The slack I'm talking about is in the axles, I can turn the D/s a bit before it stops. I haven't got to drive it much yet to find out if they are howling/whining. It's locked in 4wd righ now so I can still move it, but if I let off I can hear the slack clunk out in the front diff
Cthomp85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.