OHV Permit & Registration Enforcement - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > OHV Permit & Registration Enforcement

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #16
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

so it cost me $685 to plate my Xterra, now im looking at another $25. cost me $175 for the jeep now another $25. I would be OK with this if we could get license plates that reflected our hobby

Unread 08-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
SouthernXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
so it cost me $685 to plate my Xterra, now im looking at another $25. cost me $175 for the jeep now another $25. I would be OK with this if we could get license plates that reflected our hobby
Fill out the STT license petition...Easiest way for us to be able to point to our numbers.
http://staythetrail.org/plates/
SouthernXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #18
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post

Would be nice if STT plates included the OHV permit.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #19
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Also on STT website

http://staythetrail.org/news/?m=201108
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #20
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
Would be nice if STT plates included the OHV registration.
Best I can tell - on your Jeep, you don't need OHV registration, you need an OHV permit. Two different things.

The OHV registration includes VIN check, you don't need that on a plated vehicle (already done). The OHV permit does NOT include VIN check.

OHV Registration looks like this:

OHV Permits look like this:

Both cost $25.25

I grabbed all that info off ThumperTalk from this post: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...5&postcount=39

OHV registration is sold at most motorcycle & ATV dealerships. OHV permits are only sold at the State Parks office.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #21
RockMonster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was starting to wonder when this issue would be brought up, I did a year long report on this subject my freshman year in collage and it shed a lot of light on where our funds are actually going (not really maintaining our trails but just as others said going to the environmentalists who don't know jack S*** about how serious allot of us are about our sport/ hobby). You should read some of the arguments that shut down our trails backed by nothing but a condescending stereotype. Sorry I don't have time to elaborate more at the moment as im in a hurry to get out the door. To be honest this whole situation gets me really heated in regards to how much money we put into maintaining our trails but at the same time our trails are being closed. For people who are interested in the topic (witch you all should be) there was tons of info regarding the subject and related matters on COHVCO website as well as STT and other partner websites. while you guys are at it you should visit the sierra club websites and see what they have to say about us, most of it is despicable. by the way i want to thank organizations such as the 4x4 friendly ones mentioned above by getting awareness up about these issues and doing as much as they can to educate the 4x4 population on proper trail use.
Unread 04-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #22
Line58
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Whats the current status of the OHV permit requirement? Does Colorado reciprocate with any other states (my rig has an Oregon OHV permit on it thats good through 2015). Are the permits still only available from the state office, or can they be purchased from dealers?

I just moved to Albuquerque from Oregon and plan to do some exploring in Colorado this summer and want to insure that I stay on the right side of OHV laws.
Unread 04-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #23
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Take a look at staythetrail.org - I bet they have the info on there
Unread 04-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #24
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Yep, check out #2, second question: http://www.staythetrail.org/faq/index.php
Unread 05-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #25
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

I spoke with a Park Ranger/Wildlife Officer on May 1st. She said the OHV permits were ONLY needed on designated OHV trails and NOT on any of the common Jeep roads, which are typically county and/or forest service roads. If you wander on an OHV trail there will be a sign plainly marking it, and they're too narrow for a Jeep anyway.
Colorado Jeep Club member #970 (I'm an area code!)
jim9251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #26
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line58 View Post
Whats the current status of the OHV permit requirement? Does Colorado reciprocate with any other states (my rig has an Oregon OHV permit on it thats good through 2015). Are the permits still only available from the state office, or can they be purchased from dealers?

I just moved to Albuquerque from Oregon and plan to do some exploring in Colorado this summer and want to insure that I stay on the right side of OHV laws.
No reciprocation. Availability of registrations can be found here: http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Page...ationsOHV.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Yep, check out #2, second question: http://www.staythetrail.org/faq/index.php
Some more information here, although I'm not sure this information is correct because State Parks has changed things recently. The State Parks' website that I linked above also has errors and inconsistencies. So keep that in mind as you try to find out what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I spoke with a Park Ranger/Wildlife Officer on May 1st. She said the OHV permits were ONLY needed on designated OHV trails and NOT on any of the common Jeep roads, which are typically county and/or forest service roads. If you wander on an OHV trail there will be a sign plainly marking it, and they're too narrow for a Jeep anyway.
There's a lot of conflicting and inconsistent information out there. I can't begin to correct anyone, but I'll offer what I learned on Friday. I received a mass email from the head of the Colorado State Parks' trails program reminding people that starting this year State Parks would be writing tickets if you didn't have an OHV registration. That applies to in State and out of State, and these days applies to pretty much anything motorized with wheels. For example, if you take your Toyota Corolla on some of the designated routes, then you need a registration.

So I went to the State Parks' downtown office, 1313 Sherman St., to purchase my registration. They confirmed that there will be a lot of problems with this program in the short term, at least. For example, they told me that there is no form to complete for an in-State permit. Instead, they cross reference your name with the DMV and pull up your information that way. You then pay the $25.25 and get a sticker. I'm not sure if out of State is different in terms of procedure, but out of State folks do need a registration.

I asked for a map or brochure showing on what routes these registration are needed. They didn't have any and couldn't tell me when they would be available. I was told that I should just get a registration to make sure I don't have any problems. If the people in charge of the program can't tell me, then the officers on the ground won't know. That system is begging for inconsistent and misapplication on the ground.

I was also told that State Parks has now begun enforcing this law as it applies to passenger vehicles because State Parks has run out of money. Previously, these funds were used to support trails and programs for the benefits of trails (that could include both motorized and non-motorized). For example, Stay The Trail is funded by a very large part from the OHV registration funds. However, based on what State Parks told me, that funding is going to be for a different purpose going forward. Now, I'm not sure that I believe that, but that's what I was told by the State Parks' employee who sells the registrations at the State Parks' office.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #27
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Also, one thing to keep in mind for anyone who reads this thread, the information posted from prior to 2014 is wrong. That's not the fault of any poster, the program has changed. I'd say that the rules and regulations have changed, but another thing that State Parks told me is that there are no rules and regulations as to how this program applies to passenger vehicles. They're purportedly working on that, although they couldn't tell me when those new rules and regulations would be available.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #28
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I recently re-read the statute and by the definition of an off highway vehicle there is no way a person driving a passenger vehicle could get convicted of not having a OHV registration.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #29
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer View Post
I recently re-read the statute...
But have you read the current statute since it has allegedly changed? I have yet to find this change or any other mention of it. Here is what I have found.

This is from Stay The Trail:

All motor vehicles (licensed or not) operated on routes designated open to off-highway vehicles are required to obtain either an annual OHV Registration or Non-Resident Permit.

And this is from the State of Colorado.
http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/OHVsLaws.aspx

The part that I am not seeing yet is the revised statute that says a licensed passenger vehicle (a licensed Jeep) is required to display an OHV permit/registration while on a route open to an OHV. Where is that and why can't I find any other mention of it anywhere?
Unread 06-28-2014, 10:42 PM   #30
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The current statute states that OHVs must be registered and the definition of an OHV is (pay attention to the bold parts):

Quote:
3)3) "Off-highway vehicle" means any self-propelled vehicle which is designed to travel on wheels or tracks in contact with the ground, which is designed primarily for use off of the public highways, and which is generally and commonly used to transport persons for recreational purposes. "Off-highway vehicle" does not include the following:
(a) Vehicles designed and used primarily for travel on, over, or in the water;
(b) Snowmobiles;
(c) Military vehicles;
(d) Golf carts;
(e) Vehicles designed and used to carry disabled persons;
(f) Vehicles designed and used specifically for agricultural, logging, or mining purposes; or
(g) Vehicles registered pursuant to article 3 of title 42, C.R.S.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.