OHV Permit & Registration Enforcement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > OHV Permit & Registration Enforcement

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

OHV Permit & Registration Enforcement

Read this first: http://staythetrail.org/news/

Looks like Jeep's will now need to buy OHV stickers to travel on designated trails. newracer - or any of you more knowledge guys in this area- if you find errors in what I've said, please correct me.

I talked with the state park office referenced in that Stay The Trail article, and I'm not sure I understand what this all means, but the basics I got were as follows:

The state designates three classifications of vehicles
1. Over 50" wide (Jeeps)
2. Under 50" wide (ATVs)
3. Singletrack (motorcycles)

For any given route/4x4 trail/OHV road, etc...You need to reference the county "Motor Vehicle" OHV use map available on StayTheTrail or your local Ranger district.

These maps designate two different types of routes:
1. Roads
2. Trails

For Jeeps:
If you're traveling on a road, you're covered with standard CO vehicle registration/plates and do not need an OHV permit. However, if you're on a trail, you need an OHV permit. There are far less trails than roads, and the only way to know the difference is the Motor Vehicle Use map, since this is the legal document used by the Forest Rangers (national level) and Park Ranger (state level) to enforce the difference.

This stuff is really confusing the way the laws are written, and even the CO parks office and Forest Rangers don't seem to know what its all about yet. My understanding is we're in an educational period now, so nobody will be getting tickets (just warnings) until the BLM, Forest Service and State figure out the best way to enforce the OHV registration & permit statues such that the users understand, and money is still collected to maintain the roads and trails.

For 50" wider vehicles, it's not really clear how the OHV permit is supposed to be displayed - whether you can have it in the vehicle, or if it needs to be on the window or what.

Personally, I'll be buying an OHV permit because this is a grey area, and a $25 sticker is better than a $75+ fine. Besides - its only $25 and the money goes toward maintaining the roads and trails we enjoy.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
RDHouston
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great - more taxes.
RDHouston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe a dumb question, but what about out of state Jeeps? I plan on comming out next year, will I need one also?

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yup.

And I made some phone calls... your permit/registration may or may not be honored in other states. So if you plan on playing in CO and then playing in Utah, for example, you may need a sticker for each state. Nonsense. (This is double-taxation. Think of all the volunteer hours our various 4x4 clubs do trying to keep our trails clean. It's got to be worth more than the $25. We should get some credit if our volunteer hours are logged with the ranger stations).
jeep-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by relgnarw View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but what about out of state Jeeps? I plan on comming out next year, will I need one also?
The OHV stickers are required for out of state vehicles on roads and trails. Or at least thats the way I understand it, since these roads & trails are maintained by these fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep-newbie View Post
Yup.

And I made some phone calls... your permit/registration may or may not be honored in other states. So if you plan on playing in CO and then playing in Utah, for example, you may need a sticker for each state. Nonsense. (This is double-taxation. Think of all the volunteer hours our various 4x4 clubs do trying to keep our trails clean. It's got to be worth more than the $25. We should get some credit if our volunteer hours are logged with the ranger stations).
I don't see a problem with getting stickers for Utah...the fees pay for the local maintance...and as long as that keeps the trails open, I'll spend $25. Same for Utah folks that wheel here - they should get a CO sticker to wheel in CO.

Personally, I think the OHV charges should be rolled into vehicle registration - to be paid by everyone who has plates, whether its a Prius or a Jeep. Exclude motorcycles with plates from the charges, and require them and ATVs to buy their own stickers if they wish to drive on roads or trails. They could probably drop the fees to $0.10 that way - share the cost among many car/4x4 drivers.

But right now the way it stands, its very confusing for anyone over 50" wide.
Unread 08-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
...and as long as that keeps the trails open, I'll spend $25.
But it won't. They'll more likely use the $ to shut us down.
Unread 08-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm quoting this from another site:
Here is what happens with the monies

2011 LEGISLATION:
(SB 11-208), ch. 293, 22 - (2) (b) (I), (2) (b) (II)

(1) All fees collected from the registration of off-highway vehicles and all fees collected from the sale of off-highway use permits, plus all interest earned on such moneys shall be credited to the off-highway vehicle recreation fund, which fund is hereby created, and shall be used for the administration of this article, for information and awareness on the availability of off-highway vehicle recreational opportunities, for the promotion of off-highway vehicle safety, for the establishment and maintenance of off-highway vehicle routes, parking areas, and facilities, and for the purchase or lease of private land for the purposes of access to public land for uses consistent with the provisions of this article; however, any moneys collected in excess of four dollars per original or renewal registration shall be used exclusively for direct services and not administrative costs. The general assembly shall make annual appropriations from the off-highway vehicle recreation fund for the purposes enumerated in this subsection (1).

(2) All moneys collected for fines imposed pursuant to the provisions of this article shall be distributed as follows:

(a) One-half of such amount collected shall be transferred to the state treasurer for credit to the general fund; and

(b) One-half of such amount collected shall be distributed as follows:

(I) If the citing officer is a parks and recreation officer, such amount shall be transferred to the state treasurer and credited to the off-highway vehicle recreation fund; or

(II) If the citing officer is a Colorado wildlife officer or special wildlife officer, such amount shall be transferred to the state treasurer and credited to the wildlife cash fund; or

(III) If the citing officer is any other peace officer, such amount shall be transferred to the treasurer of the local jurisdiction in which the violation occurred to be credited to the appropriate fund.

(3) Notwithstanding any provision of this section to the contrary, on January 1, 2004, the state treasurer shall deduct seven hundred thousand dollars from the off-highway vehicle recreation fund and transfer such sum to the general fund.

Source: L. 89: Entire article added, p. 1365, 1, effective April 1, 1990. L. 2003: (3) added, p. 1544, 5, effective May 1; (2)(b)(II) amended, p. 1631, 71, effective August 6.
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It is not that clear where you will need a permit. From what I gather if it is a road or trail that other OHV vehicles (like an ATV or unlicensed motorcycle) are allowed on your jeep will also need a permit.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

This is interesting:

Actual Law:
Quote:
33-14.5-112 - Off-highway use permit - fees - applications - requirements - exemptions.
(1) (a) No later than January 1, 1990, the division of parks and recreation shall devise a plan for implementation of the off-highway use permit program.
(b) On and after January 1, 1991, the owner of every vehicle required to be registered pursuant to article 3 of title 42, C.R.S., and the owner or operator of every motor vehicle and off-highway vehicle from another state or country, when such vehicle is being used for recreational travel upon designated off-highway vehicle routes, shall obtain and display on such vehicle an off-highway use permit.
Title 42 is the Uniform Motor Vehicle Laws - link here.

IMO, that defines every street licensed motor vehicle capable of being used off-road, regardless what state issued the license plate needs an off-highway use permit.

Looks like this is a big stink in the motorbike world too, since they're in the same boat as use Jeeps - registered for street use and still used as OHV. Found with google on this bike forum: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...5&postcount=39

This thread also confirms what I heard from the parks department - the OHV permit next year will no longer say "Non-Resident"...it will be the same for everyone, or there will be a "Resident" sticker too.

Looks like the law has been in effect for some time, just not enforced...but now somebody is paying attention. Probably because OHV use is far more popular now than in the past (whether thats bikes, jeeps, ATVs or side by sides). Unfortunately, the increased popularity & traffic has also increased off-trail and illegal trail usages as well . Maybe the state is looking for new ways to get revenue. Maybe the greater plan is to steal money from the OHV fund to the General fund and our OHV sticker payments will be ultimately used by the greenies to close down the trails....

Either way the BLM, State and FS need to get their ducks in a row and make sense out of the multiple conflicting laws and get the terminology straight.
Unread 08-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

I once drove a 2wd Ford F150 up Rollins Pass in winter Park just for fun... Would that truck require a sticker too? (I'm just sayin'...). Some of these places where we just decide to check out in our car are no more than a dirt road. There will need to be very clear definition of what "off-road" means.
Unread 08-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I will just be collecting a lot of firewood.
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep-newbie View Post
I once drove a 2wd Ford F150 up Rollins Pass in winter Park just for fun... Would that truck require a sticker too? (I'm just sayin'...). Some of these places where we just decide to check out in our car are no more than a dirt road. There will need to be very clear definition of what "off-road" means.
That depends on whether the route is designated as a road or a trail. Technically this designation is specified in the "Motor Vehicle Use Map" - which is the legal document used to enforce the law. But as it stands now, the definition can also be how the individual officer interprets the law. You can be "pulled over" by three offices - BLM, State Parks or Forest Ranger (national level)...and right now, however the officer interprets the road vs trail determines if you are required to have a OHV permit.

Just found out today that you can't get OHV permits at an ATV/motorbike dealership. They only sell OHV registrations. You have to get the OHV Permit from the State Parks Office.

The difference is OHV Permits don't require VIN registration. OHV registration forms require VIN registration. They're both the same price ($25.25). My understanding is that because plated vehicles are already registered under article 3 of title 42, C.R.S, you don't need the OHV registration - you only need a permit as described in 33-14.5-112 above.
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #13
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

There is no distinction between roads and trails.

Here is the CRS, notice the bold portion

Quote:
33-14.5-112 - Off-highway use permit - fees - applications - requirements - exemptions.
(1) (a) No later than January 1, 1990, the division of parks and recreation shall devise a plan for implementation of the off-highway use permit program.
(b) On and after January 1, 1991, the owner of every vehicle required to be registered pursuant to article 3 of title 42, C.R.S., and the owner or operator of every motor vehicle and off-highway vehicle from another state or country, when such vehicle is being used for recreational travel upon designated off-highway vehicle routes, shall obtain and display on such vehicle an off-highway use permit.
Here is the definition of a off-highway vehicle route

Quote:
(4) "Off-highway vehicle route" means any road, trail, or way owned or managed by the state or any agency or political subdivision thereof or the United States for off-highway vehicle travel.
Most are thinking that means any road or trail that allows unlicensed vehicles would require an OHV permit.
Unread 08-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #14
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How long are the permits valid? Is it like a fishing license where it's yearly or you buy it once for your vehicle and you're good?
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimbStuff View Post
How long are the permits valid? Is it like a fishing license where it's yearly or you buy it once for your vehicle and you're good?
yearly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.