Offroading near Avon CO - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Offroading near Avon CO

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
fyallm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Jk Offroading near Avon CO

Going to be headed to Avon arriving on August 10th and leaving on August 17th, going to be staying at the Hyatt Mountain Lodge.

We will be taking our Jeep's out there(just 2), so I'm looking for some places near there to go offroading, any help would be greatly appreciated.

fyallm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check out Traildamage.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

Keep in mind when searching that Avon is in Eagle County. Depending on your difficulty level, check out the Holy Cross trail.
2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
fyallm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
Check out Traildamage.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

Keep in mind when searching that Avon is in Eagle County. Depending on your difficulty level, check out the Holy Cross trail.
Thanks Matt, I have an AEV Rubicon, but the other jeep is a bone stock sahara so we will prolly be on easier to medium runs, is Holy Cross difficult?

Are there any parks that have maps with trials marked along with their difficulty? I could purchase?

Also any other places that would be good? Maybe even hiking trails as well?

Also any other things we should definitely do out in avon or close to there?
fyallm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Holy Cross is EXREMELY difficult! A Rubicon model will have trouble if not be incapable and a stock vehilce will absolutely not be able to do it.

Colorado is one big "park." A significant portion of our state is public land, open to all as long as you abide by the rules. There are enoug old mining roads that even a resident could spend a life time attempting all of them.

I suggest looking up "Colorado Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails" (ISBN 10: 0-9664976-6-x or 13: 978-0-9664976-6-3) by Charles A. Wells. It is a thorough book of Colorado trails.

I also suggest looking up the National Geographic maps for the area. They will show foot trails, vehicle, multi use, etc... For Avon you are looking at map 108 or 121. They are tear resistant and water resistant. Colorado trails are big enough to get lost, turned around, and generally screwed...

Go Prepared!
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
jauernigg
1999 WJ 

There is a ton of wheeling around avon pm me when your trip gets closer and maby we can go hit a few trails.
jauernigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
cutup75

You can PM me as well. How is the AVE Rubi setup? tire size? Trough Trail is a fun trail. You can make it in a setup Jeep. I've lived in the Vail area my whole life, I'd be happy to show you around if I'm in town, hiking, 4x4ing or biking.

cutup75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.