Northern Colorado trail run. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Northern Colorado trail run.

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 02-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Northern Colorado trail run.

I was thinking of going to Fort Collins to do a trail run.
The forest service web site shows Moody hill and Crystal Mountain as still open. At least the gates are open. I know they close the gates before mud season starts, in March.
Has anyone ran those 2 trails reciently?

If they are open, they might be the only trails in the state that are open(besides Carnage(B) which I hate).
If open and actually driveable, I would like to go do them.

What you all think?

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I guy on co4x4.org ran them a few weeks ago. Didn't make it to the top but made it to the playground area on Crystal.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
badassr1
1995 XJ Cherokee 

lol why do you hate carnage?
badassr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
dnrisden
Rise of the Silver Slinky

2003 TJ Wrangler 

We could go round and round about Boulder Carnage, but main problem is it is a overused and abused trail. When you have to drive through a dump/shooting gallery to get to the trail it kinda ruins the reason for wheeling.

Hope I got it close?!

03 Rubi w/5.5 LAs/35s/Armor/always growing.
dnrisden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You got it close...
Unread 02-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
badassr1
1995 XJ Cherokee 

There is like a wooping 200 feet of a pigs mess. The rest is clear carnage is sweet because you can always do it different and hit new things. The shooting range is a poor excuse to not like it. How many of the other trails in left hand have you hit?
Unread 02-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassr1 View Post
There is like a wooping 200 feet of a pigs mess. The rest is clear carnage is sweet because you can always do it different and hit new things. The shooting range is a poor excuse to not like it. How many of the other trails in left hand have you hit?
Carnage doesn't have any sex appeal anymore. It has been done over and over again by most of us here. It is great that it checks off all of your blocks, but I'm good with doing it once or twice a year.

A lot of guys on here enjoy exploring new areas just as much as they enjoy engaging 4 wheel drive. This can make weekly runs to Carnage kind of lackluster.

Carnage is not very scenic and always has a dirty feel to it for me. No one here is forcing you not to like it, no need to try and force others to like it.

That being said, post pics of your run!
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
dnrisden
Rise of the Silver Slinky

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassr1 View Post

I have run everything in there but Carnage. I want to get up there and run Carnage once to say that I did, but whenever I have been up there I always run into some $#%bag that makes me remember why I dislike that area so much. The terrain is still scared by all those that choose not to respect the trails and makes it even less desirable. To each their own.

03 Rubi w/5.5 LAs/35s/Armor/always growing.
dnrisden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
badassr1
1995 XJ Cherokee 

lol carnage is the only reason to go.. I have ran carnage over 100 times and still manage to find new ways to go up it..

This summer we are going to run carnage BV
Unread 02-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'll do it once this winter, I'm sure. But not untill everything else is closed and I'm jones'ing for a ride.
Man, even the pics you are posting have all the rocks spray painted with grafitti. The last trail clean-up I was on there, we hauled 3 tons of garbage off that trail, and a shot to hell truck.
The only time I ever showed my conceal carry was on left hand, thought I was gonna have to use it too. Came upon a ranger in trouble. I gave back-up to the ranger as he incountered some underage drunks. The ranger was very good at his job, or that had the potential to get real ugly, and the po po arived very quickly. Tense couple of minutes though.
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
badassr1
1995 XJ Cherokee 

carnage is funnnier in the summer. We went yesterday and there was snow and ice everywhere. Only large obstical we could do was the guardian.
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Moody and crystal are closed as of today. I kind of like Carnage but I always try to go early in the day to beat the crowds. I also do not like how tore up it is.
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #13
stangman68inftc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure the last time I ran Moody/Crystal was the beginning of November and it was very doable then. I bet its pretty muddy right now. I did 7mile this last week which is as far west as crystal/moody but north aways and it was snowy and a little muddy. Personally, Crystal and Moody are my favorite trails close to Fort Collins because there are so many lines to take that lots of different levels of vehicles can have fun. The down side is that Moody is very steep making it very difficult when it gets muddy and snowy. There are two other trails in the area that aren't difficult in the summer but may be fun with more snow, these are Ballard Road and White Pine, both of which I believe are still open. I think that we could make a fun day of some or all of these trails and I would absolutely be up for it if I am off work. I could possibly do this coming sunday or the following saturday. Let me know what you guys think.

edit: that sucks that it is now closed, oh well, any word on white pine or ballard?
Colorado Jeep Club member #87

Last edited by stangman68inftc; 02-18-2008 at 02:32 AM..
stangman68inftc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2008, 02:34 AM   #14
stangman68inftc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The forestry website says that Crystal and Moody are still open?!?!?!
Colorado Jeep Club member #87
stangman68inftc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Guy on co4x4.org was up there on Sat as the FS rangers were closing and locking the gates, the website has been known to be wrong.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.