Need help ft Collins area for son - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Need help ft Collins area for son

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 01-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
LEOinFL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Need help ft Collins area for son

My son just moved to Ft Collins area and his yj just took a crap. He isn't real mechanical and needs help, jeep was overheating and is broke down in a parking lot, with dad in Florida. If anyone could give him a hand i would appreciate it very much. Even a tow to his house.

Thanks

LEOinFL

My number is 863-512-1691

LEOinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have much time right now but I can give him a hand tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

I can't help much, but I did cross-post your message to another club I belong to. I hailed from FL as well but I'm a pretty good distance from FoCo now and have no mechanical skills myself!

Best of luck to your son!
jeep-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in town and can help. My plan is to go for a trail ride Sunday @ 11a but could change plans if needed.
JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I met your son this evening. Nice kid, I enjoyed meeting him. I haven't been called "Sir" so many times in my life! His courtesy and thankfulness was center stage [not needed, but still appreciated].

Here's what I saw (the Jeep's back at his place now):

Checked the oil - looked clean, no water issues, no bubbles, no haze. Clean, mid-change oil. It was a tad high but he said he had filled it / topped it off when having problems with it and it was sitting on a "slight" incline with the dipstick at the low end. Other than being a tad high there was no indication of water in the oil. The underside of the oil fil cap was clean too - no gunk or odd colored sludge. Opening the rad cap - no fluid and what was there had more brown than I'd care for, but perhaps that's just my illusion for not "seeing green".

In went some water and the drips to the pavement started. Drivers side of the block, right at the front. I couldn't see more than that (dark, only a flashlight). Hopefully it's only a water pump. He got ready to start it and I dumped in the water. The motor sounded nice and even (no missing cylinder), a motor w/o any issues aside from the copious drip. About 1 gallon until full. The plan was to run no more than 40mph and to stop at the first gas station 1 mile away for evaluation. At the gas station we were able to fit only 4/10ths of a gallon into it. At that point we skipped the in-between gas stations and got it back to it's parking spot (~5 miles total).

From there we let it sit and went for two gallons of straight anti-freeze. This week is looking to be a cool/cold one and it may be several days before it gets worked on. I'd rather not give him a cracked block from the water we put in. Back with antifreeze, we went to the gas station to put more gas into it and I dumped in straight antifreeze. We (me following) drove 1/2-way around the block and put a mile or so on it and stopped to fill it again. Dumping in the second half of the first gallon. Back to his apartment it went and now sits (dripping coolant). Hopefully, with the coolant cycled through it will dilute the water enough to ward off a cracked block. It's sitting outside. If you think a cracked block is a concern, my garage is 4 miles away. It could be put in my garage for a few days until a decision is made.

Edit: At the first stop I put the backside of my fingers on the right side of the block, rear cyl. It was still just warming up. At his apartment I could hold my fingers to #6 for only 3-5 seconds. The thermostat had opened and the top cover of the radiator was warm. I asked him to keep the heat blowing on high and to tell me if any heat was noticed - only at the last portion of the last bit of driving for the night did he say he felt heat.
JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Jim Williamson, you are a good man sir.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
lucky-13
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986cj View Post
Jim Williamson, you are a good man sir.
Way to represent Northern Colorado!!!
Colorado Jeep Club Member #513
05 LJ Rubicon Sahara #787 : 6" Skyjacker Longarm Lift
07 WK Overland : It's all about the Hemi : XK/WK Owners Club Member #13
lucky-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
JCro99
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jim,

Awesome to hear that you could help out. Good job Sir!!!

'05 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L Hemi
JCro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 02:58 AM   #9
y2julia619
1994 YJ Wrangler 

(Sorry to bump an old thread....but) It's things like these that make me love

1) Fellow Jeepers
2) COLORADO!!
3) This forum

This was awesome. What a great guy for helping out Respect
y2julia619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2julia619 View Post
(Sorry to bump an old thread....but) It's things like these that make me love

1) Fellow Jeepers
2) COLORADO!!
3) This forum

This was awesome. What a great guy for helping out Respect
I don't think it could be said any better - Kudos Jim!
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.