Need excellent transmission shop-anwyhere! - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
brianestep
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Westminster
Posts: 992
I need an excellent transmission shop-anwyhere!?

Hey friends! I was down in Telluride this last weekend and blew out my 42re.

Started getting some pump whine on the drive down, but it was too late to turn back, so I thought I'd tough it out. Didn't have too many problems until starting the next morning, when it would not move at all for about 5 minutes of gear cycling. Finally got going, but sort of "limp-moded" it the rest of the way into town with alot of gear slipping. Finally, going up the last hill into Telluride, slipping became extreme and smoke was everywhere. Maxed out at 15mph in maybe 3rd or 4th gear...

Fluid was red at start of the trip (15,000 miles old) and was golden brown shortly after the pump whine began. Assuming that she is dead. Mechanic in Telluride thinks so too. He was a great guy, very fair, knowledgeable and even gave me a ride to the rental car place. Problem is, he's wayyyy too expensive (and not a tranny specialist). $3300 ($2200 for the tranny plus $700 for labor plus taxes, etc.)

I will be driving back down to Telluride hopefully this weekend to pick it up, just need to find a truck to use to tow it. Don't think our TJ can handle it! Can anyone recommend a transmission shop/ place to source a transmission anywhere on the route between Fort Collins and Telluride?

Preferably I would like to tow it to either the Springs, Denver or Fort Collins since that's where I will be living (Fort Collins now but moving to the Springs this week) but if there is some awesome shop in like Montrose or Gunnison or Salida or something, I'd take it there too. Just looking for input. Thanks friends!!


-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 AM
streetglideok
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Castle Pines
Posts: 3,204
There are a few shops here in the springs that are decent. I'll send you a pm
streetglideok is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
brianestep
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Westminster
Posts: 992
I appreciate the input! I will be calling those folks in the morning. Have you heard of High Plains in Castle Rock? I've had a few recommendations for them...

-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 05-29-2013, 07:24 AM
STRRAYNGE
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wellington
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianestep View Post
Hey friends! I was down in Telluride this last weekend and blew out my 42re.

Started getting some pump whine on the drive down, but it was too late to turn back, so I thought I'd tough it out. Didn't have too many problems until starting the next morning, when it would not move at all for about 5 minutes of gear cycling. Finally got going, but sort of "limp-moded" it the rest of the way into town with alot of gear slipping. Finally, going up the last hill into Telluride, slipping became extreme and smoke was everywhere. Maxed out at 15mph in maybe 3rd or 4th gear...

Fluid was red at start of the trip (15,000 miles old) and was golden brown shortly after the pump whine began. Assuming that she is dead. Mechanic in Telluride thinks so too. He was a great guy, very fair, knowledgeable and even gave me a ride to the rental car place. Problem is, he's wayyyy too expensive (and not a tranny specialist). $3300 ($2200 for the tranny plus $700 for labor plus taxes, etc.)

I will be driving back down to Telluride hopefully this weekend to pick it up, just need to find a truck to use to tow it. Don't think our TJ can handle it! Can anyone recommend a transmission shop/ place to source a transmission anywhere on the route between Fort Collins and Telluride?

Preferably I would like to tow it to either the Springs, Denver or Fort Collins since that's where I will be living (Fort Collins now but moving to the Springs this week) but if there is some awesome shop in like Montrose or Gunnison or Salida or something, I'd take it there too. Just looking for input. Thanks friends!!
Hope you get it going man. I wish I knew of somewhere to send you, but I dont. Why are you leaving FOCO?

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ. 7" Clayton Long Arm Lift, 9" rear w/currie high pinion, D44 Trussed front axle, High Steer, chrome moly axles front and rear, ARB's front and rear, 35" BF Goodrich KM2's, Trail Ready front bumper with winch, custom rear with swing out tire carrier, etc, etc.
STRRAYNGE is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 05-30-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
brianestep
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Westminster
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRRAYNGE View Post
Hope you get it going man. I wish I knew of somewhere to send you, but I dont. Why are you leaving FOCO?
No problem John! I got a job in the Springs... you know how that goes!

-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 06-01-2013, 01:04 AM
RockMonster
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,030
My ax-15 just lost first (pops out) and it grinds (gear noise) in fifth so any feedback on tranny shops would be great. I plan on removing the sucker to take in and I really don't want to have to take it out a 2nd or 3rd time because of problems 1k miles down the road.

God... my spelling sux.... +++++++++++++++++++++++OIIIIO+++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
RockMonster is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
brianestep
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Westminster
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMonster View Post
My ax-15 just lost first (pops out) and it grinds (gear noise) in fifth so any feedback on tranny shops would be great. I plan on removing the sucker to take in and I really don't want to have to take it out a 2nd or 3rd time because of problems 1k miles down the road.
I am likely taking it to High Plains in Castle Rock. I hear good things about Precision Standard in the Springs for manuals

-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome