My First Lift... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > My First Lift...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 08-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #16
RollerHman
BMW drivers are ****s

1999 XJ Cherokee 

didnt you say the lift kit came with blocks? that is why its so cheap. do NOT put blocks on your rig!

i went with the Rusty's 3 in full packs. rustys is between budget crap like block lifts and Rough country but not quite RE quality. i have never had a single problem with my lift and it has been on and wheeled for over a year.

the only other thing i did with my lift at first was get jks quicker discos for the front sway bar (throw away your rear bar). that is one of the best bang for buck mods on my jeep.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #46

99 XJ
98 BMW 328is
RollerHman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #17
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Yep, I'd pass on the lift this guy is selling myself. Blocks to lift the rear is super lame.

Do yourself a favor and spend a bit more on this lift. You'll thank us later. If you don't want to spend the $200 on those used OME packs, at least take a look at the Iron Rock kit. They come with everything you need without being overly expensive or coming with crap components.

And the IRO kit comes with the ability to upgrade to JKS discos for only $60!
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 02:07 PM   #18
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZJ
Yep, I'd pass on the lift this guy is selling myself. Blocks to lift the rear is super lame.
Not to mention the fact that it can hurt you performance wise. Blocks cause the axle to roll on itself, and can potentially break things. Picture your leaf springs on top of your axle. As you accelerate forward, the movement of the tires and the weight of the vehicle will force your axle down a bit- called axle wrap. By perching the leaf springs up off the axle on a small block will essentially give your axle a pivot point in which the axle wrap can magnify itself. This can cause broken u-bolts that hold your axle on, broken u-joints, and a number of other things if it's bad enough. It's kinda like a body lift for us framed Jeep guys- 1" is ok or so, but over that, you'll look goofy, and put yourself in a situation you probably don't want to be in.

I understand what you are going through though- you want a specific thing for your Jeep, and likely want it quickly. It's a situation that most, if not all of us have been in- jumping the gun and getting something now, and then end up having to redo it later the right way. My advise to you: If the one he's selling can be gotten cheaply, go for it. At least you'll be happier in the short term. If he's not going to budge the price, hold out a little longer and buy a complete kit. The price difference between $200 and $350 is nothing compared the the headaches you'll be saving yourself later down the line, as well as the money to re-do it (not always the case in having to re-do it, but I think you understand what we're saying).
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #19
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That makes sense, it sounds like i really dont want these blocks then, i will just wait a little longer and get a lift that i will be happy with and not regret later. thanks alot guys i almost just Blew $200 on crap that i would have just thrown away later!

Jeremy
Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 11:31 PM   #20
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=102889

This is exactly what I was talking about. Couple this with those OME rear leafs, and you're set. This is simply doing as I did and pieceing the lift together, but I'd still advise trying to get a complete new kit, especially if it has new control arms. But either way, here's another option for ya.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 08-09-2007, 01:38 AM   #21
RollerHman
BMW drivers are ****s

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUK9
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=102889

This is exactly what I was talking about. Couple this with those OME rear leafs, and you're set. This is simply doing as I did and pieceing the lift together, but I'd still advise trying to get a complete new kit, especially if it has new control arms. But either way, here's another option for ya.
that would be a great way to go. nice finds josh. with the $240 rear OME leafs (good stuff right there) and the $100 RE coils you could have a great start under $400. you could decide on an sye or tcase drop (i am still only running a drop, its temp, yadda yadda) and then possibly brake lines, but im at 3 and only needed to move one bracket. then jks disco's are just over $100. you are looking at a killer lift that you are piecing together on the cheap. probably want control arms at 3.5 like josh says, but you could probably wait a bit and come across those.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #46

99 XJ
98 BMW 328is
RollerHman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #22
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

I have to agree with these guys. Those OME leafs and the RE springs would make a sweet lift.
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 08-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #23
wojtizzlator
1987 XJ Cherokee 

i think a custom lift is the way to go! you dont haveto buy a kit. for example im running 6" skyjacker soft ride springs and 3.5" leafs 1" block and 4" shackle(gives 2" of lift)! custom LA's with the tc dropped as low as possiblei believe.have 35's on the ride too! topguncustomz.com is a good place to get cheap but good parts to lift! i paid 370 6"skyjacker springs and 6" skyjacker 7000 shocks.

(i bought rustys trac bar and tierod as a little upgrade in steering.)

"who needs paved roads when u have a jeep"

87 xj 6" long arm lift, 35's, 4.88 yukon gears, front detroit true trac

colorado jeep club member # 74
wojtizzlator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2007, 01:13 AM   #24
wojtizzlator
1987 XJ Cherokee 

keep in mind my axle isnt connected but fron will be higher then that

Unread 08-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #25
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

JUMP ON THIS **** NOW!!!

RE 4.5" Lift- $200 - located in Aurora. PM me- he still has it, I have his address. First come first serve. You'll need rear leafs, but that's it.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 08-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #26
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Yep. The springs, spacers, bumpstops, steering stabilizer, trackbar, and upper arms are worth $200 easily. You won't even need the spacers, so you can sell those for $30 or so and get some of that money back even...
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 08-16-2007, 09:21 AM   #27
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZJ
Yep. The springs, spacers, bumpstops, steering stabilizer, trackbar, and upper arms are worth $200 easily. You won't even need the spacers, so you can sell those for $30 or so and get some of that money back even...

Yeah- I think the arms alone brand new are about $200 or so (not sure though). If I had the $$, I'd get this.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 08-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #28
wojtizzlator
1987 XJ Cherokee 

i would too! this is a good deal! sucks that it has a bent control arm though

Unread 08-18-2007, 08:12 PM   #29
XJride231
2000 XJ Cherokee 

holy crap!

Would the LP d 30 cause problems with a 4.5 inch lift... I know this RE kit would net like 5.5..... this sounds dangerous but I'm about to get this.

I was planning on buying the RE 3.5 in kit, but this is cheaper!

Colorado JEEP club member #123
XJride231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #30
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJride231
holy crap!

Would the LP d 30 cause problems with a 4.5 inch lift... I know this RE kit would net like 5.5..... this sounds dangerous but I'm about to get this.

I was planning on buying the RE 3.5 in kit, but this is cheaper!

I don't think it would cause too many problems. Just be aware of two things before you get this though. #1- one of the control arms is bent, and will need to be replaced. I didn't really pay attention to the ad when I posted it, so I missed that. #2- you will need to get new rear leaf springs to finish out the lift.

A lot of times you can find someone selling the arms alone, so that might save you some coin, but otherwise you might need to buy it new. That might be another $200 or so (for the pair).
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.