My First Lift... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > My First Lift...

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-08-2007, 12:07 AM   #1
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Xj My First Lift...

Okay guys well i figure i would ask questions in here as eeryone seems to be so nice and understanding that im a Noob.

Ive been checking Craigslist for a XJ Lift and i found a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Part out. it has a 2-3in Pro Comp Lift and he is willing to sell it to me for $200...

Is that a deal? If not what would be? is buying a used lift a bad Idea? Would some of you be able to help me install it? (I Plan on keeping my same tires)

Thanks alot

Jeremy

Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What size tire do you plan to run, and do you have any objections to trimming? A 2-3" lift is good for 30-31" tires, depending on if and how much you want to trim. If you want a little more clearance, you can always add a coil spacer/lift block to gain a small amount of lift (depending on if this lift already has one or not). $200 is an ok deal, though it's hard to say for sure without knowing the specifics of what the lift entails.

As far as lifting it, I wouldn't mind helping, and I know several others on here would be glad to help. Just post up here as a lifting party, and we should be able to knock it out relatively quickly.

Edit- This is a good deal: http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/384368529.html
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

You CAN'T go wrong with Old Man Emu like the leaf packs that Josh posted. That's only for the rear, but you could find some front 3.5" springs easily enough.
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

But to get that its going to end up being Double then the Pro Comp Lift, i dont want to trim at all because i plan on just running my stock Tire for a while as they still have alot of Tred so i wont have to worry about a bigger tire for another year or 2.
Colorado Member #89
Unread 08-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

These are Jeeps...generally you get what you pay for. Better to do it once and do it right, then have to redo it down the road and pay again to fix your first mistake.

If you're planning on running your current tires for a while you can afford to wait for good deals on used lift parts and do it right the first time. You could buy these spring packs (or wait for some other quality used packs to come along) and search the classifieds on this board and others for some used front 3.5" lift springs. That way, if you ever decide to go higher in the future (you will), you can just add a spacer to your front springs and a shackle out back, along with some adjustable arms, and you'd be set.
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 08-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dang thats confusing, so your saying i should just wait then?

I guess i really just dont know what im looking for, all i know is i want just a 3in lift, but as tis is My Daily Driver it has to handle almost as stock. but i should Deffinatly Pass on the Pro Comp Lift then?

Also he said the kit came with blocks, is that just for the back? under the Leaf Springs?
Colorado Member #89
Unread 08-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

I didn't mean to confuse you. What I'm suggesting is that you don't want to jump on the cheapest lift you find, and before you do anything you might want to do some research on it. Also, I'm saying that Old Man Emu has a fantastic reputation among the offroad world. I don't have a whole lot of experience with lifting XJs so I can't comment on the quality of that ProComp lift (that's where your research comes in), but I would stay away from lift blocks.

In summary:
- Take your time...you're planning on running stock tires for a while anyway
- Do your homework, especially if you're concerned with ride quality as a DD
- You get what you pay for, but you can definitely find deals on quality used parts
- Ask questions, because that's a great way to learn

I would also check out this thread and PM the owner if you have questions about their lift.
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 08-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

This might help you out too. My first search result in the Cherokee forums...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...highlight=comp

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...highlight=comp
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 08-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Definately try to research a bit before you get anything. As far as the Pro Comp lift, find out exactly what he is selling- this way we can help advise a little better on if it's a good deal. I have a Pro Comp lift on my TJ, and Pro Comp control arms on the XJ. They are a decent mid-range lift company. A few of their designs leave me with more to be desired, but overall, they are decent and inexpensive.

There are all kinds of things you can do for lift as well. My XJ is a bastard lift- parts from all kinds of things (Sky jacker rear leafs, Pro Comp springs/LCA's, etc). There are swaps of S-10 leaf springs into the XJ for lift, and all kinds of people selling this and that parts you can piece together for a lift. If you are looking to stay in the 3-4" range (a good range, by the way), there are all kinds of parts from other years and models of Jeeps that can swap over for lift. I don't know the specifics, but answers can be found in the XJ forum.

As Ryan said, if you are going to lift it, make sure you do a little research and at least find out reputations of companies, and how others that have their products like them. There is no better advertising for a company than word of mouth. You might want to look into buying a new kit as well- I think Rough Country and Rusty's have kits for about $500 brand new. Just one more option is all. Also, if you are looking at lifting, and want new tires, I might be persuaded to give up a nice pair of 31's sitting in my garage....
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like i got alot more reading to do, from what i understand the Pro Comp lifts for Jeeps are also known as Pro Crap... funny

So i think ill go with Rock Lizard 2in lift kit
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co..._lift_kits.htm

but again i think ill wait a little while and read some more

thanks for all your help guys!

Jeremy
Colorado Member #89
Unread 08-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #11
RollerHman
BMW drivers are ****s

1999 XJ Cherokee 

read the xj tech section for awhile. every single lift thread you see. it gets repetative for sure, but someone always gives you more information than you find in another thread, just keep your eyes open and understand how everything works before you decide your lift.

that is how i went about things and decided a three inch lift was best for me last summer. remember if you modify something, it will most likely affect something else on your jeep. ie you might need an sye, sway bar links, brake lines etc etc.

i see you are from the ranch, so am i. graduated from TR in 04.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #46

99 XJ
98 BMW 328is
RollerHman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

First off what is a SYE? i see that alot around here and have never found what it is!?!?

i am also planing on a 3 in, which one did you get?

Yeah HR is pretty sweet, i just graduated from Vista!
Colorado Member #89
Unread 08-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #13
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Check out Iron Rock for a reasonably priced and reasonably complete 3" system. It even comes with new shocks, and you can upgrade to JKS disconnects for just a little bit more.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX

SYE is a slip yoke eliminator
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 08-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Oh sweetness thanks, so i decided that if i can get this Pro Comp lift for less then $150 then ill get it only bcasue it seems like a pretty good deal and all the Brand New Lift Kits are usually $300+ which is double what this basic lift would be...

If he still sticks to the $200 then ill wait for a while and find the one that is right for me!

Thanks for all your help and understanding...

Jeremy
Colorado Member #89
Unread 08-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #15
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

You might want to see what all this kit he's selling includes, as well as what it retails for new first...

Does it come with shocks? Disconnects or at the very least extended swaybar endlinks? Etc.
'51 CJ-3A

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.