Moving to Colorado Soon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Moving to Colorado Soon

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
BrianAK47
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tj Moving to Colorado Soon

Hello all,

I was sort of active on the Jeep Forums a few years ago (mostly reading) when I first got my 05 TJ and lived in Alaska, but I have since been living overseas. I will be moving to the Colorado Springs area in May and pulling her out of storage. It seems Colorado is Jeep heaven and I would be excited to get acquainted with some of the local Jeep club activities.

I figure now is a very appropriate time to start planning out my next improvements. So far all I have done is the stereo (pics in my gallery). Aside from that, it came with a Skyjacker 2.5 lift and MT 33's already installed. I am not too happy with the current (very stiff) ride characteristics, although it got me through a couple of Ak winters while I have managed to save up some dough in the meantime.

Tech Ramblings:
Based on what I've been reading in the tech section, my initial intentions are along the lines of beginning with replacing the weak rear Dana 35 with a Dana 44 and ARB locker, and upgrading the front to a Super 30 kit with ARB locker. Following that, a Currie/Savvy 4 inch kit and outboard rear shocks. I will add SYE, CV drive shaft and and upgraded steering and brakes as well. I plan to stick with the 33's until the lift is done (May likely going to 35's thereafter). Eventually recovery gear and necessary armor. My initial budget looks like it will be around 10k. I now find myself wishing I would have taken those welding classes back in the day.

I ride a lot of trails by dirt bike (I also own a 2000 600R) but I am getting older and would prefer to supplement my off-roading appetite in the comfort of my Jeep. I don't see myself crawling; more trail stuff and exploring. At the same time I am not sure what the local area has to throw at me or what kind of driving the clubs there do. I would like to build a reasonably capable and sturdy rig, as my TJ is also my DD.

TLDR:
1. I would appreciate it if anyone familiar to the Colorado Springs area can suggest a knowledgeable local suspension shop / metal fab guru who could assist me with my aforementioned modifications; especially the rear outboard shock modification and welding that I will need done on the axles to reposition spring perches, ect.

2. I would also be interested in any suggestions of local Jeep groups near/in Colorado Springs area who would welcome a relatively novice off-roader.

3. Does anyone have a good 33" or 35" tire recommendation for that locale; something that works well in the snow as well?

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by BrianAK47; 11-24-2012 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: clarity
BrianAK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

C-Springs is a hotbed for off-roaders. There is some hardcore stuff down there. I am sure there is some scenic stuff too. The state is filled with trails and places to explore. Check out traildamage.com and colorado4x4.org to get dialed into your area. Those are Colorado based groups/forums.

The build sounds suitable for Colorado except, what about at least a rear locker? Trails out here can change over the years. When you read about a trail and it sounds like a simple ride, it may not be so. A locker can help get you through whatever you run into.
Unread 11-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Justin04Lj

A good place to meet a bunch of jeepers is wranglerforum.com. its very active with guys from Colorado. I'm in Colorado Springs myself. I have the same screen name.
Justin04Lj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
BrianAK47
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
C-Springs is a hotbed for off-roaders. There is some hardcore stuff down there. I am sure there is some scenic stuff too. The state is filled with trails and places to explore. Check out traildamage.com and colorado4x4.org to get dialed into your area. Those are Colorado based groups/forums.

The build sounds suitable for Colorado except, what about at least a rear locker? Trails out here can change over the years. When you read about a trail and it sounds like a simple ride, it may not be so. A locker can help get you through whatever you run into.
Yes, ARB Lockers F+R. Planning to ditch the Dana 35 rear axle and swap it with a Dana 44 with an ARB locker. I plan to upgrade the front to a Super 30 kit with an ARB locker (I edited for clarity)

Also, thanks for the links.
Unread 11-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You should be able to run more old mine roads, forest service roads, and see more sights than you will ever have time for with that set up. There are so many ghost towns and historical features in this state it will make your head spin. There are a number of guide books for the state but my favorite is "Guide to Colorado Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A. Wells. Great book (ISBN 978-0-9664976-6-3). I don't run a new trail without it.

In my opinion National Geographic makes the best maps for the area. You can buy very accurate USGS quadrangles, but I like the NatGeo maps since they cover a large area, but still retain a high level of detail. They are water and tear resistant.

Welcome.
Unread 11-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

what jeepin 72 said. buy that book and some nat geo maps of were you plan on running. there are a lot of rocks (obviously) and even the mild trails can get bouncy. a soft and supple suspension is key. unless you want to rattle every bolt loose like i do.
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
BrianAK47
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I am stoked. I have always wanted to go exploring ghost towns. I am really looking forward to checking out Ouray and Durango as well; haven't been there since I was a kid. I will take your advice on the book, 72.

Also; I will be due for some new tires. Do you guys have any recommendation on a 33'-35' tire that seems to work well over there there year round?
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAK47 View Post
Thanks guys, I am stoked. I have always wanted to go exploring ghost towns. I am really looking forward to checking out Ouray and Durango as well; haven't been there since I was a kid. I will take your advice on the book, 72.

Also; I will be due for some new tires. Do you guys have any recommendation on a 33'-35' tire that seems to work well over there there year round?
Welcome

You will fall in love with ouray, I like it just as much as Moab.

Duratracks or BFG at's. I've had both and they do well in the snow and the rocks.
Unread 11-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

aggressive all terrains. not a lot of mud so like gspup said or kelly safari tsr. i have kumho road venture- decent. but 35s suck in the snow so..... maybe general grabber at2s
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Huey
2005 TJ Wrangler 

BrianAK47,

Welcome to CO! I just relocated to Fort Collins myself; moved here from Iowa. I have Duratrac's (33x12.5x15) and absolutely love them. For the moderate wheeling I do they fit the bill perfectly, and my TJ is my DD so the road manners are very good also.

Once your settled, give a shout and we can hit some trails.
Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Hey welcome Brian to the 'springs, or well when you do get here, and thank you for your service(guessing you are military). Everyone pretty much covered everything, plenty of trails to run, even with stock rigs, some decent shops if you need them, and alot willing to help. A gun nut I see as well? We even have a local gun forum as well, its like a mecca for man toys!
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #12
BrianAK47
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Hey welcome Brian to the 'springs, or well when you do get here, and thank you for your service(guessing you are military). Everyone pretty much covered everything, plenty of trails to run, even with stock rigs, some decent shops if you need them, and alot willing to help. A gun nut I see as well? We even have a local gun forum as well, its like a mecca for man toys!
Thanks; actually the Ak was for Alaska, as that was where I used to be stationed. The 47 relates more to my job. I do enjoy guns though; just too much of a pain in the *** to own any right now. I am looking very forward to settling in there and getting to know some fellow Jeep people. I have heard nothing but good about the 'springs from everyone I have talked to.
Unread 12-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

The springs is big enough to have nearly everything you need, and if it doesn't Denver is an hour away, but small enough to still feel like a town, and not a major metro area. We lack the emissions testing Denver has, and there are easy trails nearby, and tons of others within a partial day's drive.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
Justin04Lj

X2 on the springs. I was born here and been here 27 years.
Justin04Lj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.