Moab - where to stay? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Moab - where to stay?

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 08-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
rballman
2007 JK Wrangler 

Moab - where to stay?

I didn't see much when I searched so I will ask...

I have never been to the Moab area and the wife and I are thinking of heading there at the end of Sept.

So...where do you usually stay? Any good deals besides camping and the KOA?

- Ryan

Colorado Jeep Club member #2007

My JK Build Thread
rballman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Do you have AAA? Most places give discounts if you do. You can rent little cabins at KOAs for pretty cheap I think.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The cabins at Cayonlands or Moab RV Resort are nice.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
rballman
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Do you have AAA? Most places give discounts if you do. You can rent little cabins at KOAs for pretty cheap I think.
yeah we are leaning towards a KOA cabin...hard to beat $55/night!

My JK Build Thread
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have stayed just about everywhere in downtown and some blm land. I prefer either one of the few hotels (bowen comes to mind) or camping along 279. Most of the hotels are around 100 a night give or take. The gonzo is more expensive, heard its good, but not my type of place. There is also a hostel for some real cheap sleeps!

It really depends on what you want out of moab. Do you want "fine" dining or cooking at camp. The breweries are always a nice time, but if you camp far away, that gets old quick driving into town. I would not recommend the downtown campsite (cant remember the name, its mostly hidden behind a gas station), the tent sites are really really (really) small and it always seems packed ( I usually travel to moab around late sep, early oct.) Showers are nice, they also can be bought by out-of-towners for a nice shower before checking out the town.

There are some cabins in a rv camping site just south of the bridge into town on 191 on the right. I haven't ever stayed at that location but it looks nice, only issue is its a little out of the main part of town. So depending on how much walking you want, you may be driving.

Also check out:

Jail house cafe for breakfast

Moab Brewery for "beer" and the asiago garlic ravioli (had this twice in a row, liked it that much)

zaks for pizza

Eddie mcstiffs for variety of food, not as good as it used to be i my opinion, but still better than burger king.

Canyon lands national park via potash road (dont take the paved road off 191, its long and boring) the back road can be navigated by just about any suv.

Also take the scenic route into town if you have the time.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
rballman
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the great feedback! We will definitely try out some of those restaurants. Since we might bring our dog we are just gonna stay at the KOA cabin. The price is great and will allow us to spend money on other things like bike rentals or maybe rafting.

We will only be there for about 4 days and after Canyonlands and Arches visits I will prob only have 1-1.5 days to wheel. Ah well...should still be a great trip.

What is the scenic route into town?

Thanks again.

My JK Build Thread
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Off hwy 70 take 128 to moab instead of 191. It will take you along a nice river in the base of a canyon. Its a little longer but well worth it. Come to think of it there are some nice cabins along this road also, don't remember the name of the company or companies. Probably a bit more expensive, but it might be worth looking into. Red cliffs lodge and sorrel something if I remember right. One had horses so it might be more of a ranch type place, not really sure.

A day and a half is plenty of time to do some good wheeling. If you want a fun trail with little body damage risk but still a little technical I would recommend the fins n things trail. Depending on how much wheeling you have done in the past it may not be what you are looking for. For me, it still scares the wife so that's fun, but I know its not really that unsafe. I would think 31s would be about minimum, but I saw a near stock gc the last time I was out. It really made me a believer on what those things could do.

As for bikes poison spider bike shop has probably the best selection. I have seen 1,500 to 3,000 dollar bikes for rent there, so not complete junk. Never used them other than for a repair on my bike, so couldnt tell you prices or service. There was a new trail called baby steps when I was out last. Its off of the Klondike trail north of town. Baby steps is probably my favorite trail currently. Everyone says you have to ride the Slick Rock Trail, I disagree. I would rather spend my time riding Bartlets wash slick rock, but to each his own. I guess its not bad, but it was too crowded... that just slows down the ride. There is a good trail called the porcupine rim in that same area. Its best to take a shuttle (ask your bike rental place) as its mostly a down hill ride. Its not an easy trail (none really are in moab) so check them out before you decide which is best for your ability. Definitely pick up a 4x4 book and mountain biking book for all the trails in the area. Best of luck and hope you have fun. Oh, also don't try to do everything in 4 days. Won't happen and you will likely be back anyway in the future. I know I would if I were in colo!
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
rballman
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks again!

Yes, we will definitely be back to Moab again I am sure!

My JK Build Thread
Unread 08-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Eddie Mcstiff's was horrible the last two times we went there, never again for us. Zaks and the Moab Brewery are good. Moab Diner has great breakfast.

You would be fine on Fins & Things and Hells Revenge, they are both great trails close to town.
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A guy who stayed at the Super 8 there got bit by lots of bedbugs. They refused him any refund etc so he called the Utah health dept on them.
Jim
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
rballman
2007 JK Wrangler 

Can't go wrong with breweries...

I think Fins & Things is a must when going to moab...especially for the first time so I will probably do that for sure. People say it is a good night trail too??

I am debating parts of Hells Revenge or maybe the Trifecta. Not sure if I have enough time to do these trails though...or if it is smart to do them by myself.

My JK Build Thread
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Fins & Things is fun at night but I would not recommend it for the first time. I have run it many times and I got a little lost the first time at night. Also with the shadows it is easy to get off trail and go over some really nasty stuff.

I would not attempt the "Trifecta" alone. Poison Spider is doable alone. To run all three puts you way out in the middle of no-where and it takes a long time.

Hells Revenge would be no problem, just stay away from the optional routes.
Unread 08-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Idared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

We usually try to stay at the Rustic Inn.. It is cheaper and very clean and quiet just off main street.. and they have super service and allow dogs. They also take triple aaa and aarp discounts. Its not fancy schmancy but well kept.
You can probably find someone to wheel with.. at HElls Revenge or Fins and things.. there is always someone about unless its after labor day.
we like Zax.. and the Moab Brewery.

As a matter of fact I do Jeep like a girl. :-)
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #635[/COLOR] Colorado Jeep Club #550
Idared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Might want to re-think taking your dog along. IIRC dogs can't leave the pavement/car in Canyonlands and Arches.
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^ That is true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.