Memorial Day Trail Accessibility - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Memorial Day Trail Accessibility

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Memorial Day Trail Accessibility

Well, folks...it's been a while. I'm still around though, just not on JF much. I'm not on any Toyota forums though. It's just not the same. I miss having a Jeep, but so far the 4Runner's been problem-free.

The point of this post is to ask about current trail accessibility for Memorial Day weekend. I'm thinking of heading to the Mt. Elbert area or perhaps Clear Lake trail near Silverton. Though I'm concerned that the snow cover might prevent access to either location. Clear Lake I'd drive to. I'd be hiking Mt. Elbert. I just don't have much information on the conditions there. I've checked about every online resource there is, and so far I've been left with so-so information.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

I'm sure both of those areas are still buried in snow. You need to think lower elevation this early in the season.
Check Bushducks.com for trail info.
Unread 05-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colojeepguy View Post
I'm sure both of those areas are still buried in snow. You need to think lower elevation this early in the season.
Check Bushducks.com for trail info.
Thanks, man. I wish the story was different. I called the ranger station in Leadville, and it's worse than I thought. Forget 4x4 trails. Most of the hiking trails aren't even accessible. I don't even know for sure if I'll get a half day off on Monday. Three day weekends are rare for me. So I was hoping to make the most of what time I did have this weekend. I suppose I should've known from experience it was too early in the season to expect to do much.

Is everything relatively brown and dead still up there, or is green beginning to take hold?

Unread 05-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
Thanks , man. I wish the story was different. I called the ranger station in Leadville, and it's worse than I thought. Forget 4x4 trails. Most of the hiking trails aren't even accessible.
I realize is stinks for you, but for us, the snow is a blessing. We are still in a drought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
Is everything relatively brown and dead still up there, or is green beginning to take hold?
Everything is beautifully green right now.
2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
I realize is stinks for you, but for us, the snow is a blessing. We are still in a drought.
I understand that. We're in a drought here in the Texas Panhandle as well. We've hardly had an inch of precipitation since the beginning of the year. Total precipitation for the past two years barely tops 12 inches. That's two years combined. 97% of the state of Texas is in a drought. Ah but I remember the days of visiting Colorado during the summer and experiencing midday storms while hiking. Those were always fun. I suppose that doesn't happen much anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
Everything is beautifully green right now.
If that's not sarcasm, then I'll be glad to at least come enjoy the scenery. I'd wanted to run a trail or two and hike some. I'm not sure that'll be possible now, but we'll see.

Unread 05-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

No sarcasm, we have gotten a lot of moisture this spring so everything is green. I know in the foothills, we got so much snow last month that we are close to our average snowfall.
2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Linz1112
2001 WJ 

Wj Memorial Day on Sevenmile Creek

We are camping/wheeling @Sevenmile this weekend. We will head out Friday evening and set up camp and stay until probably Monday morning. Feel free to join us, we will be transmitting on channel 5 if you wish to find us! Also if you want we can meet people at the trail head Sat or Sunday morning before we go and play for the day.
Linz1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Some good, and some bad in Colorado: ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Sno...pdate_snow.pdf
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linz1112 View Post
We are camping/wheeling @Sevenmile this weekend. We will head out Friday evening and set up camp and stay until probably Monday morning. Feel free to join us, we will be transmitting on channel 5 if you wish to find us! Also if you want we can meet people at the trail head Sat or Sunday morning before we go and play for the day.
That's way too far for me to be able to travel this weekend. I'd love to come up there and join you. I'm not sure of the difficulty level of that trail. Perhaps my stock 4Runner could handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Some good, and some bad in Colorado: ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Sno...pdate_snow.pdf
Thanks, Arlo. I'll take a look at your link later today when I have more time. Snow is good for the state, even if bad for camping/hiking this early in the season.

Unread 05-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Well, peeps...I think I'd like to try for Silverton and County Rd. 12 that goes up to Clear Lake. I know that a lot of Colorado up past 10k ft is still buried in snow, but Silverton is pretty far south. It looks like most of the area around South Fork is clear of heavier snow up on the peaks. I'm hoping the Silverton area, being similarly south, might fair just as well. If I leave early enough in the morning tomorrow, I can do it. I just need to know if there are any forum members in the Silverton area who might be able to tell me the current conditions of light trails like CR 12. I think Clear Lake is at like 11-12k ft at the most. If it's impassible, I'll just aim for South Fork. It's not my favorite area in the state, but at least I can wheel and hike without issue. There's a trail I never did finish with my Jeep outside of South Fork. It was getting to be dusk, so I did a 20 point turn, lol, and headed back to the campground. I didn't want to be caught on that rough of a trail after dark. Being trapped in the Texas Panhandle, I'm not a seasoned enough wheeler to chance that. I never had rock lights on the ol' girl either. I was just looking at some pics of my Jeep today. Darn but I miss her.

Well, onto the new. The 4Runner is loads of fun and can wheel as well as the Jeep ever did. So I'll see how she does this trip. I'm going to keep it easy though just to be safe. I'll let people know where I'm going, what I'm doing, and have plenty of supplies along just in case. Lone wheelin' is like lone hiking, probably not the wisest of endeavors, but hella fun anyway!

Unread 05-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #11
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Despite being further south, the San Juan mountains (which stretch from the South Fork area over to Silverton/Ouray/Telluride) generally get the most snowfall in the state. The county road departments use heavy equipment to open up trails in the Silverton area, but Memorial Day is just too early.

Edit: I just looked at the county websites for San Juan & San Miguel counties.
Looks like some trails are open! I'm very surprised.

http://www.sanjuancountycolorado.us/road--bridge.html

http://www.sanmiguelcounty.org/depar...dge/index.html
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Thanks, Colo. I'm not sure what Co. Rd. 12 over near Silverton is called. It may be too far out of my way this trip. I'll have to see. I'm getting a later start on this trip than I thought.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.