Looking for some stock trails... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Looking for some stock trails...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
WeBeCinYa

Looking for some stock trails...

Hey everyone-

I purchased a 2012 Laredo this past January and I am past the new stage where I am paranoid about getting mud on my tires. I currently live in Denver and would like some ideas on off road trails that would not require a lift kit or any additional ground clearance other than stock. I am currently running the 20 in wheel package but do have the larger tires, 275/55/20.
I was hiking up at Grizzly Gulch Rd today and saw some stock SUVs rolling down the trail as we went up, is anyone here familiar with that trail? Would that be a good stock Jeep trail? Can any one recommend others?
Thanks in advance!
Matt

Unread 09-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Look into the funtreks books. All the green trails, and with some care, some or most of the blue trails would be good to go.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
PLAN D

Argentine Pass area, Fall River Res/Chinn & Sherwin Lk, Geneva Ck, Peru Ck., Sts. John/DeerCk. and Webster Pass out of Montezuma. When the aspens turn checkout Lost Creek area just south of Kenosha Pass...ect. the list goes on and on. Not to sound like a jerk, but depending on your driving experience your vehicles capabilities may excede your driving abilities and if you get on a road that your uncomfortable with just turn around and save it for another time.
PLAN D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Jeepers21
2004 WJ 

Not sure how often I'll be able to go, but my jeep is stock as of now and wouldn't mind meeting some new friends to go 4 wheelin' with?
Jeepers21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Time is running short on some of the passes and trails, with snow encroaching. We'll be out of town here for a week or so, and probably miss the peak of the aspen. It would be a good thing to get some closer to stock jeeps together for some of the milder trails.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
turbospartan
2012 WK 

I did Mill Creek Road in Vail yesterday in my Altitude WK2 and there wasn't anything that couldn't be handled by a WK2. I scraped bottom once or twice, but choosing better lines would have avoided that.

Aspens are peaking in Vail right now so it was pretty cool. The first half of the trail you are driving in the Aspens. Second half you are in the evergreens but you get to climb pretty high. We actually stopped at the overlook (which was 11,387' per my NAV unit) and didn't make it all the way to the top.

Took about 1.5 hours up and a little over an hour down (thats stopping for pictures, etc.).

turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Jeepers21
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
I did Mill Creek Road in Vail yesterday in my Altitude WK2 and there wasn't anything that couldn't be handled by a WK2. I scraped bottom once or twice, but choosing better lines would have avoided that.

Aspens are peaking in Vail right now so it was pretty cool. The first half of the trail you are driving in the Aspens. Second half you are in the evergreens but you get to climb pretty high. We actually stopped at the overlook (which was 11,387' per my NAV unit) and didn't make it all the way to the top.

Took about 1.5 hours up and a little over an hour down (thats stopping for pictures, etc.).

How does the suspension do on your WK2? I have to admit, I was really disappointed to see them go to a independent front and rear.
Jeepers21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers21 View Post
How does the suspension do on your WK2? I have to admit, I was really disappointed to see them go to a independent front and rear.
I don't have the Quadra-Lift suspension, if that is what you're referring to. I do have the Quadra-Trac II which has the 2-speed transfer case though. I didn't have to use 4-low at any point during the trip.

Other than that, I can't tell you much. I came from the Audi scene so this is my first vehicle that is higher than 3" off the ground, haha. Not on this Vail trip, but on another trip I did get to experience the "brake-locking" or whatever it is called where one wheel is spinning so the brakes are applied to that wheel only, to allow the other wheel to keep spinning / gain traction. I haven't been in any situations where I was really flexing anything or even having one of the wheels up in the air.

There are some YouTube videos which show the capability of the new systems. This one in particular gives you an idea of how a wk2 can perform:
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.