Looking for a 242J from a 2002-2003 WJ V8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Looking for a 242J from a 2002-2003 WJ V8

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
STRRAYNGE
1993 ZJ 

Looking for a 242J from a 2002-2003 WJ V8

Im looking to do a 242 swap in my WJ. Is there anyone local on here that might know where I can get a T-case from at a reasonable price?

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ. 7" Clayton Long Arm Lift, 9" rear w/currie high pinion, D44 Trussed front axle, High Steer, chrome moly axles front and rear, ARB's front and rear, 35" BF Goodrich KM2's, Trail Ready front bumper with winch, custom rear with swing out tire carrier, etc, etc.
STRRAYNGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
texlurch
2002 WJ 

I got one off Fleabay at a good price. Local you'll have to hunt and peck around the junk yards.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
STRRAYNGE
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
I got one off Fleabay at a good price. Local you'll have to hunt and peck around the junk yards.
Yeah, im having no luck at all local!
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ. 7" Clayton Long Arm Lift, 9" rear w/currie high pinion, D44 Trussed front axle, High Steer, chrome moly axles front and rear, ARB's front and rear, 35" BF Goodrich KM2's, Trail Ready front bumper with winch, custom rear with swing out tire carrier, etc, etc.
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
texlurch
2002 WJ 

I didn't either; yards or Craigslist or local 4x4 boards. Intraweb is yer friend!
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
texlurch
2002 WJ 

This is where I got mine from, for about the same cost

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRANSFER-CAS...ht_2235wt_1020

He was also willing to sell the rear shaft for an extra $100 which is a good deal, since you need it unless you are going SYE.
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
STRRAYNGE
1993 ZJ 

Thanks man! I think I may have found one down in Commerce City. Asking 400.00 plus 15.00 core. I guess ill need to see if he has matching rear drive shaft as well. As far as being able to tell for sure if it is the 242HD? Im guessing the only way to really tell is by the aluminum housing over the output shaft?
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Yep, if it has the alum extension on the back it is the HD. Or count the splines on the input side.. don't recall off my head but it is in the swap thread in the WJ section
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
STRRAYNGE
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Yep, if it has the alum extension on the back it is the HD. Or count the splines on the input side.. don't recall off my head but it is in the swap thread in the WJ section
Yeah, I read that thread. I mainly just wanted some clarification from someone that has done it. Hes gonna sell me T-case and drive shaft for 475.00. Do you know of anything else I might need, any harnesses, plugs, brackets, etc?
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Other than the case and driveshaft, it's a bolt in
Change the cable to the bottom hole on the existing bracket (it's actually bolted to the side of the transmission), install, drive.
You don't even have to change the shifter out, but it makes it easier to know where the gears are.

Mine had two of the studs that mount it to the trans bent somewhere along the way, so I had to pull two from the 247

Also, the hardest part is accessing the 6 bolts; I found it simpler to drop the crossmember, and remove the mount off the trans, than trying to piddle with 1/4 turn on the two bottom ones.
Support under the trans pan with a couple 2x4's to spread the load
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
STRRAYNGE
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Other than the case and driveshaft, it's a bolt in
Change the cable to the bottom hole on the existing bracket (it's actually bolted to the side of the transmission), install, drive.
You don't even have to change the shifter out, but it makes it easier to know where the gears are.

Mine had two of the studs that mount it to the trans bent somewhere along the way, so I had to pull two from the 247
Awesome! Thanks for the input. I will be doing this tomorrow. The speedo and everything all work fine, or will I need to put mine in the 242?
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Speedo is picked up off the ABS wheel sensors

Only wire there is comes from the 242, and lights the "4x4" light on the dash.
I didn't mess with finding a plug and connecting it
You'll also find the breather hose on top, it just pulls off the nipple and goes back on the 242 in the same place

The step by step in the WJ forum is really good; pics help a lot.
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
STRRAYNGE
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Speedo is picked up off the ABS wheel sensors

Only wire there is comes from the 242, and lights the "4x4" light on the dash.
I didn't mess with finding a plug and connecting it
You'll also find the breather hose on top, it just pulls off the nipple and goes back on the 242 in the same place

The step by step in the WJ forum is really good; pics help a lot.
thanks again. gonna go take another look at that write up.

maybe im thinking of the 249 and the regular 242 swap that I did on my wifes ZJ a couple years back. that one had the speedometer on the tcase.
Unread 04-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
STRRAYNGE
1993 ZJ 

Got tcase, driveshaft, and shifter with selec-trac bezel!!
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
STRRAYNGE
1993 ZJ 

Well, here it all is!!

Unread 04-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #15
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Can't see the pics but sounds like you scored!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.