JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/)
-   -   Looking for a 242J from a 2002-2003 WJ V8 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/looking-242j-2002-2003-wj-v8-1513467/)

STRRAYNGE 04-23-2013 01:08 PM

Looking for a 242J from a 2002-2003 WJ V8
 
Im looking to do a 242 swap in my WJ. Is there anyone local on here that might know where I can get a T-case from at a reasonable price?

texlurch 04-24-2013 03:26 AM

I got one off Fleabay at a good price. Local you'll have to hunt and peck around the junk yards.

STRRAYNGE 04-24-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texlurch (Post 15339755)
I got one off Fleabay at a good price. Local you'll have to hunt and peck around the junk yards.

Yeah, im having no luck at all local!

texlurch 04-24-2013 10:43 AM

I didn't either; yards or Craigslist or local 4x4 boards. Intraweb is yer friend! :)

texlurch 04-24-2013 10:50 AM

This is where I got mine from, for about the same cost

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRANSFER-CAS...ht_2235wt_1020

He was also willing to sell the rear shaft for an extra $100 which is a good deal, since you need it unless you are going SYE.

STRRAYNGE 04-24-2013 12:00 PM

Thanks man! I think I may have found one down in Commerce City. Asking 400.00 plus 15.00 core. I guess ill need to see if he has matching rear drive shaft as well. As far as being able to tell for sure if it is the 242HD? Im guessing the only way to really tell is by the aluminum housing over the output shaft?

texlurch 04-24-2013 11:46 PM

Yep, if it has the alum extension on the back it is the HD. Or count the splines on the input side.. don't recall off my head but it is in the swap thread in the WJ section

STRRAYNGE 04-25-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texlurch (Post 15345059)
Yep, if it has the alum extension on the back it is the HD. Or count the splines on the input side.. don't recall off my head but it is in the swap thread in the WJ section

Yeah, I read that thread. I mainly just wanted some clarification from someone that has done it. Hes gonna sell me T-case and drive shaft for 475.00. Do you know of anything else I might need, any harnesses, plugs, brackets, etc?

texlurch 04-25-2013 08:45 AM

Other than the case and driveshaft, it's a bolt in
Change the cable to the bottom hole on the existing bracket (it's actually bolted to the side of the transmission), install, drive.
You don't even have to change the shifter out, but it makes it easier to know where the gears are.

Mine had two of the studs that mount it to the trans bent somewhere along the way, so I had to pull two from the 247

Also, the hardest part is accessing the 6 bolts; I found it simpler to drop the crossmember, and remove the mount off the trans, than trying to piddle with 1/4 turn on the two bottom ones.
Support under the trans pan with a couple 2x4's to spread the load

STRRAYNGE 04-25-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texlurch (Post 15346035)
Other than the case and driveshaft, it's a bolt in
Change the cable to the bottom hole on the existing bracket (it's actually bolted to the side of the transmission), install, drive.
You don't even have to change the shifter out, but it makes it easier to know where the gears are.

Mine had two of the studs that mount it to the trans bent somewhere along the way, so I had to pull two from the 247

Awesome! Thanks for the input. I will be doing this tomorrow. The speedo and everything all work fine, or will I need to put mine in the 242?

texlurch 04-25-2013 08:52 AM

Speedo is picked up off the ABS wheel sensors

Only wire there is comes from the 242, and lights the "4x4" light on the dash.
I didn't mess with finding a plug and connecting it
You'll also find the breather hose on top, it just pulls off the nipple and goes back on the 242 in the same place

The step by step in the WJ forum is really good; pics help a lot.

STRRAYNGE 04-25-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texlurch (Post 15346069)
Speedo is picked up off the ABS wheel sensors

Only wire there is comes from the 242, and lights the "4x4" light on the dash.
I didn't mess with finding a plug and connecting it
You'll also find the breather hose on top, it just pulls off the nipple and goes back on the 242 in the same place

The step by step in the WJ forum is really good; pics help a lot.

thanks again. gonna go take another look at that write up.

maybe im thinking of the 249 and the regular 242 swap that I did on my wifes ZJ a couple years back. that one had the speedometer on the tcase.

STRRAYNGE 04-25-2013 03:26 PM

Got tcase, driveshaft, and shifter with selec-trac bezel!!

STRRAYNGE 04-25-2013 06:16 PM

Well, here it all is!!

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...c442/tcase.jpg
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...c442/bezel.jpg
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...driveshaft.jpg

texlurch 04-26-2013 12:56 AM

Can't see the pics but sounds like you scored! ;)


The time now is 11:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.