Finally got around to installing the Rubicon Express 2 inch BB on Leslie's new WJ today. I have to say, that was the easiest lift I have EVER installed. Easier than the BB on my old 94 ZJ, easier than the BB on my TJ when I still had it. This was CAKE! Took me a grand total of 2.5 hours to do the complete BB and new shocks all the way around with Leslie's help (mostly jacking up the axle where I asked her to, and stepping on the axle to droop it enough to put the springs back in. I didn't even have to use the spring compressors, because as soon as I disconnected the old shocks and the sway bars, the axles drooped like another 4 inches on their own! The only frustration I had is that whoever installed the junk shocks that were on there, tightened the lower shock bolt on the rear shocks so tight that I was bending ratchets trying to get it off, and then the new shocks wouldn't fit back in until I pryed the mount open because they actually had bent it. And boy, let me tell you, my new BluePoint (SnapOn's cheaper cousin) racheting open end wrenches made securing the top of the front shocks super easy.
Here are some shots, before and after. Then of course she wanted to wash it and make it all pretty afterwards (sorry the pics aren't super good, her old Canon point and shoot is on its last legs, so these were taken with my HP which isn't a real nice camera, but it was free so I'll take it)
While I'm in working on it:
Final result, all washed up and with new stickers (extra horse power)
Very nice!!! time to upgrade the meats for her eh?!
We were actually just talking about that today. I think we are going to wait for these to wear out, as they are practically brand new Michelins. Eventually we'll get some BFG all terrains on there, but probably not for a while.
No unfortunately. They never put the 22re into the Tacomas. The last year was in 94 when it was still just a Toyota Pickup. In 95 when the Taco came out, they started using a 2.7 liter 4 cyl, the 3RZFE and the 2.4 liter 2RZF-E (this is what I think my dad's has). That actually made it hard for my Dad to buy that truck, because we had been driving Yotas with some form of the 22r for years. First he had an 85 2wd pickup with a 22r, then an 85 4x4 with the 22r, then I bought an 88 4Runner with a 22re, and then he finally gave up to switch to a newer truck. Though it has 145k on the clock and still runs like its brand new.