lift installer recommendation in Boulder? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > lift installer recommendation in Boulder?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
tride000
2001 TJ Wrangler 

lift installer recommendation in Boulder?

Hi All,
I live in the Boulder area and THINK I have decided to put 'just' a BB on my new-to-me TJ. I am wondering which shop you guys/gals would recommend to install this for me? I do not know any other jeepers and have been asking my friends but have come up with only one place (and the reviews of this shop, online, are mixed). If anyone here has experience and advice on this, and/or can install themselves (with me helping of course!!), I'd happily pay you, too! Anyone have recommendations? Thanks!!

tride000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

I live in Boulder!! If Its something you'd like to tackle yourself let me know and I'll offer up a hand. I havent used any of the shops around the area so I cant make a recommendation in that regard.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #2086

[COLOR="black"] /l , [/COLOR] [COLOR="Yellow"] [____],
l---L---OlllllllO-[/COLOR]
()_) ()_)=[COLOR="Yellow"]@[/COLOR]=)_)

[COLOR="Cyan"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nicks-83-cj7-frame-off-build-1360039/"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
outdoorguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's one that can be fairly easily done on your own. I'd be down to help as well, provided I'm not working or anything!
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
tride000
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What I am NOW thinking

So, today I went into John's 4x4 here in Boulder and talked to them about what I am looking for. I was told by Rob(?) that he thinks I should go with a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift and forget about the BB and BL. I can't foresee ever going off of fire roads or easy trails but John's thinks that anything other than a pavement cruiser should have more than some hockey pucks thrown under it. Thoughts? Also, I was told I could get away with not having a SYE and to stay away from a BL. I thought a 1" BL is fairly commonplace with 33s? Thoughts on that?

Almost too many options to choose from....making this harder than it ought to be!
Unread 05-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

If you are planning on sticking with the 33a I would think you will be fine with a small spring lift and a 1" BL. Sounds to me like they are trying to sell you something you don't really want or need for the type of wheeling you do.

[COLOR="Cyan"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nicks-83-cj7-frame-off-build-1360039/"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
Unread 05-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
tride000
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My thoughts exactly. HOWEVER, IF I ever go to 35s, I'd be set. One just never knows, right? Now to try and decide if a RE lift or TeraFlex would be best for the $$....???
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

just remember no kit is 100% complete.

you've got to address bumpstop extensions, steering, brakes, track bars, sway bar links, control arms, and a bunch more. If you need any help or advice, let me know. We can chat on the phone or sit down for lunch if you like. I'm in the Boulder area a good bit.

Also, there is no sense in paying a shop to install a lift, you can do it yourself pretty easily. Do your homework before buying anything...you need to understand what you're doing and changing.

Lots of good stuff to be learned on the forum...see my signature.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
tride000
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Received my original Build sheet today

Bummed about my Build Sheet. I was told (not that it matters now) that my Jeep "probably" had 3.73 gears and that I would be OK if I wanted to hold off regearing to 4.56. Well, my Jeep came with factory 3.07 gearing. DANG! No way will I put 33s on until I regear. I guess cruise CL and look for an axle with these gears to do a swap? Having a shop regear is super pricey and something I can't do right now. Now my lifting plan is on hold until I get this figured out.

As for additional parts to add to an lift kit I go with (the RE, if I do that), John's recommended I go with an SYE and leave it at that to see how I like it. Well, I need 4 shocks as well. I am considering the Rancho 7000. I've spent about 2mos. researching lifts.....almost too many options and even more opinions out there!! Oh well, regear first, then lift!
Unread 05-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

before I tore mine down I had 2.73 on 33s and it was a dog! I put 31's on and that helped a bit. I've seen quite a few axles as well as pinion sets on CL recently, so check there. I did a combination of a different axle and regearing. I found a dana 30 with the gearing I wanted and then had my rear end regeared. Talk with Joshua at Crawl Tech, he's in Commerce City. He is very knowledgeable and can talk with you about doing a regear. I had FrankZ do my rear end. He's in Colorado Springs, but you would have to pull your axle for him, but for $100 an axle thats hard to beat.

What axles are you running on there currently?

Unread 05-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
tride000
2001 TJ Wrangler 

DANA 30 & DANA 35. $100 per axle is a killer deal but not something that's possible for me. My other vehicle is a car(so, no way to haul axles) & I don't havevthe tools/garage to pull them. Plus, pulling them doesn't worry me but reinstalling might!!
Unread 05-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Are you thinking of upgrading the 35? You could get some 44'a to go under there. For the cost of regearing I would.think that you could prob do an axle swap if you got the gearing you wanted

Unread 05-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
tride000
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I actually can't imagine ever going to 35s. Sometimes I think I might but in all actuality I can't see it ever hapening. This may turn into my only vehicle (might sell my car to help pay for Jeep upgrades) and I don't want to run into issues with that. Plus, it's a pavement princess and I don't want to do more than playing on fire roads within 200miles of Boulder. I've heard all about the weak points of Dana axles but for what I want to do, they are fine. It was great getting the Build Sheet but seeing that 3.07 gearing completely bummed me out. Now I'm thinking of getting her repainted first, then the regear, then the lift. Any painting shop recommendations? I'm not looking for a show queen paint job. Just someone who does a good job and won't leave me with a bunch of orange peel. Of course, this is my plan for today. Tomorrow may be a completely different story again!!
Unread 05-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

I hear you, it's a different upgrade I want every day. I meant upgrading the Dana 35 for the 44 since the axle is known for it's weakness. I'm not sure about paint. I'm doing monstaliner in and out so I'm going for that orange peel look...

Unread 05-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
tride000
2001 TJ Wrangler 

There's a guy in Louisville who did Monsta his CJ, inside and out, and then literally painted it orange! Well, orange-reddish. I did Herculiner inside mine, then all new carpet, liners, Instatrunk. Totally like how it quieted things down. Well worth all the effort!! Plus, mine smelled like cigarettes and rotting garbage inside and I couldn't find where exactly the smell was coming from until I tore the interior out. Some of the nastiest tar-like crud you EVER smelled/saw was caked up under the center counsel. About an hour of scrapping and washing and it finally was gone....as was the stench!!

Post a pic when yours is done!!
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

I've got a glass body, so it's more for added protection but should quiet the ride as well. Was planning on starting that next weekend but found out I have to.do some glass repair on the underside by the front body mounts. I'm doing black on the inside and yellow on the exterior. How has the hurculiner held up for you? I'm actually doing that on the underside of the tub for a little added protection

Tags
recommendation , referral , shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.