Keystone - Breckenridge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Keystone - Breckenridge

ECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGSSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Keystone - Breckenridge

What's up CO Jeepers?

We'll be making our way out to Summit County again in a handful of weeks. Been out there and in the trails the last couple years and absolutely love it!

This year we are probably gonna take a day and check out Breckenridge but we're interested in going from Keystone to Breck via offroad.

What is the best way to do this starting from the Keystone/Montezuma side? AFAIK it is a series of trails that comprises the trip but wasn't sure which ones.

Deer Creek/Middle or North Fork Swan/Georgia Pass? etc., etc.?

Help a flatlander out anybody?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
JeepN4KC

Happy Independence Day bump!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
mgdenver
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was in Breck for the 4th and was pretty disappointed to find out that the only run that was open was Georgia Pass. Even Peak 10 was blocked with snow. Mosquito Pass was still closed as well. Trail Damage has a bunch of runs in that area, but finding out if they are open has been tough for me.
mgdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdenver View Post
I was in Breck for the 4th and was pretty disappointed to find out that the only run that was open was Georgia Pass. Even Peak 10 was blocked with snow. Mosquito Pass was still closed as well. Trail Damage has a bunch of runs in that area, but finding out if they are open has been tough for me.
I use Bushducks.com to check on trail conditions periodically. Seems pretty reliable as last year we were looking at not being able to run Handcart Gulch/Red Cone because of a huge snow cornice covering Handcart just beyond Webster Pass on the Grant side. A week before our departure last year the trail was opened up by a CO Jeep Club out there and reported as such on Bushducks. (btw - That trail loop is VERY cool and so is Radical Hill).

We have always gone late July into August to try and avoid any snow blocked trails.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Deer Creek and Sts Johns both connect to the Middle Fork and drop you out into Breck. You can also the connect via the Golden Horseshoe system and SOB Hill to Georgia Pass and come down that way.

We had an exceptional snow season and there is a whole lot of snow still up there. Check the USFS Dillon Ranger page to see whats open because a lot of stuff is not open. County Road 5 (Montezuma Road) the only way into Montezuma, washed away in spring floods and is subject to restrictions so you may not even be able to get into Montezuma. Right now it is open to the public that don't live in Zuma, but you never know if that will change.

Geribaldi Gulch off of the North Fork will connect you with Wise Mountain and to the Middle Fork as well.

All of the trails you mentioned connect at some point in some manner giving you a lot of options as departure points and exit points

I haven't even bothered to head up those trails yet because of the amount of snow we still have.
Unread 07-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
Deer Creek and Sts Johns both connect to the Middle Fork and drop you out into Breck. You can also the connect via the Golden Horseshoe system and SOB Hill to Georgia Pass and come down that way.

We had an exceptional snow season and there is a whole lot of snow still up there. Check the USFS Dillon Ranger page to see whats open because a lot of stuff is not open. County Road 5 (Montezuma Road) the only way into Montezuma, washed away in spring floods and is subject to restrictions so you may not even be able to get into Montezuma. Right now it is open to the public that don't live in Zuma, but you never know if that will change.

Geribaldi Gulch off of the North Fork will connect you with Wise Mountain and to the Middle Fork as well.

All of the trails you mentioned connect at some point in some manner giving you a lot of options as departure points and exit points

I haven't even bothered to head up those trails yet because of the amount of snow we still have.
Thanks for the heads up.

I just perused through Bushducks and it looks like we may have to start a plan B when it comes to running the trails.

Also, looked at the USFS Dillon Ranger page and the trail condition/closure pdf they have posted is from June of 2013? wtf?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
JeepN4KC

Guy in my local Jeep Club mentioned needing an out-of-state OHV sticker.........? Never got one before and never had issues in these regards. I spoke with a Ranger today with the USFS Dillon Ranger Station and she said Route 5 in/out of Zuma has a temp bridge that is open to the public (though she encouraged me to look at the trails on the Breck side - west of Tiger Road).
She also checked to verify and came back on the line that I do not need an out-of-state OHV sticker for a licensed Jeep.

@Jeepin72 - you mentioned the Golden Horseshoe Trail system. This peaked my interest. Any links from the www you might know of to check into it?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #8
Jeepin72
Is it the weekend yet?

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If your Jeep is plated you don't need an OHV sticker. The OHV sticker is typically unlicensed vehicles such as dirt bikes, UTV's etc.

Here is a link SCORR (Summit County Off Road Riders) http://www.scorr.org/files/trails.htm

I've found a better map through the Town of Breckenridge web page but I couldn't find it this morning. There is nothing terribly challenging in there but there is a number of trails that link the Swan River drainage (middle fork etc) to French Creek drainage which is closer to town.

My neighbor took is mildly built Taco up Georgia Pass yesterday and said it was open all the way. Just wet, but no snow!
Unread 07-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #9
Crodad
2006 TJ Wrangler 

When will you be in the area? I'm planning on doing the same trails the first week of August.
Crodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #10
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crodad View Post
When will you be in the area? I'm planning on doing the same trails the first week of August.
^^^ Same time - first days of August.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #11
Crodad
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you'd like we can pair up on a couple of runs that week. Stay in touch. The only problem may be getting to Montezuma. The road was washed out and the temporary bridge is suppose to be for locals only as of now. I'm hoping this will change. Since I really would like to do Deer Creek and Sts John. If I can't do them I'll do Swan River loop they all meet up at the same place.
Unread 07-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
JeepN4KC

Quote:
If you'd like we can pair up on a couple of runs that week. Stay in touch. The only problem may be getting to Montezuma. The road was washed out and the temporary bridge is suppose to be for locals only as of now. I'm hoping this will change. Since I really would like to do Deer Creek and Sts John. If I can't do them I'll do Swan River loop they all meet up at the same place.
I called the Dillon Ranger Station last week and was told the bridge in/out of Zuma was open to the public. Depending on traffic (which there usually isn't much when we've been in the past) there might be a wait to get through the one lane stop light they have set-up.

We are planning to run Saints John/Deer Creek in that order this year as it would be reverse what we've done before. We are also looking at going down I-70 a bit and running Shrine Pass - Ptarmigan Pass - McCallister Gulch - Lime Creek - back to Shrine Pass and out to I-70 and back.

Last year we did Middle Fork Swan around to North Fork Swan and Girabaldi Gulch back up and on to Saints John - awesome loop. Somewhat confusing at times but a good run.

I'll keep in touch..............

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
Crodad
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's great. Looking forward to running DC and SJ.
Unread 07-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #14
Crodad
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking about doing Deer Creek/ Sts John on Tuesday the 5th. Is that good for you?
Unread 07-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
JeepN4KC

Quote:
I'm thinking about doing Deer Creek/ Sts John on Tuesday the 5th. Is that good for you?
I'll have to touch base with the others in our group and get back to you.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.