Jeeping in Alma area of CO - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Jeeping in Alma area of CO

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #1
pajeep1234

Jeeping in Alma area of CO

I'm from PA and our family is heading out to ALMA CO for our second Colorado vacation. Want to Hike Mt Bross and Lincoln but also looking for Jeep trails for mild adventure. (not ready for wheeler lake) Want to do some geocaching and fun roads with the family. I have a stock 2004 LJ with duratrac 30's. I'm a careful and safe driver but I am not an experienced jeeper (yet)

Wanted to do Mosquito Pass and the jeep road up to Mt Bross. Has anyone done them this year? Is it something I should attempt? I've been looking at trip reports and videos on-line but thought I'd reach out and see if anyone here has taken those trails.

pajeep1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
AlpineJeep

You can drive up mt Bross. It's fairly easy, I did it in my 01 sequoia a few years ago, the bristle cone pine tree park is really neat. A stock jeep can do it just fine. Wheeler lake is good, more challenging http://www.traildamage.com/google_co...106.0820300000

Have fun
AlpineJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 05:55 AM   #3
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Mosquito Pass is mostly embedded rocks, so it's a rough ride, but doable.
Lots of old mining relics, and gorgeous scenery too. Check bushducks.com for current trail status, it's one of the highest in the state so it opens up late.
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
pajeep1234

From what I see as of early this week the Mosquito Pass is still closed closed to the summit with a 6 foot snow drift. I'll be there in 10 days. I'm hearing that Bross is private at the top but I'm not sure how far I'm actually allowed to go. Kind of interested in Bross since I can see it from where we are staying. We are in the quartzville area and its a great hike.
Unread 07-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
AlpineJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajeep1234 View Post
From what I see as of early this week the Mosquito Pass is still closed closed to the summit with a 6 foot snow drift. I'll be there in 10 days. I'm hearing that Bross is private at the top but I'm not sure how far I'm actually allowed to go. Kind of interested in Bross since I can see it from where we are staying. We are in the quartzville area and its a great hike.
It is private but as long as you stay on the road, your fine. We met one of the land owners last time. He said stay on the trail and don't go into any of the mines. You can go all the way up.
AlpineJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:37 AM   #6
pajeep1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineJeep View Post
It is private but as long as you stay on the road, your fine. We met one of the land owners last time. He said stay on the trail and don't go into any of the mines. You can go all the way up.
Great to hear. I'll respect that, don't want to ruin it for others. Thanks
Unread 07-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
pajeep1234

Awesome road and view on the Mt Bross road. We were in a 04 unlimited and a honda crv. The CRV almost made it to Windy Ridge. We got to 13.7 feet on the Bross Trail with the jeep but there was a washout that was a bit too hairy for me. Wanted to climb to the top but the weather was really threatening so we couldn't get to the top

First time that I really tried the Jeep and it seemed to walk easily through things that looked tough to me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.