Jeeper in Need of Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Jeeper in Need of Help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-25-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Pinky&theJeep
1981 CJ7 

Colorado jeepers, I need some help and I will pay.

I just CANNOT get the timing cover back on my 258 with the oil pan in place. I am afraid I will have to take the oil pan off and I'm not sure about doing that either without someone who has done it or knows what they are doing.

I found the noise, the damper is rubbing against the timing cover. I got a new cover, a new damper, but I am having problems with getting it all to fit right. Can anybody help me? I can't drive it anywhere, and I still would like to do this. I don't want to tow it to a shop and tell them to fix what I can't because then I'll never learn.

I am north of Denver, near 88th and Washington.
I'll have to go get new gaskets. PM me if you can help.
Thanks.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #258
Click here to see my Project Jeep CJ
Pinky&theJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Moved your post into a new thread
Unread 08-25-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Don't be afraid of removing the oil pan. It's less of a job than the timing cover. In fact, it really needs to be removed (or at least dropped down) to do the timing cover properly. It will also give you a good oportunity to clean the pan out, and make sure the oil pump pick-up is good n clear of any gunk/debris.

You had the marbles to pull the timing cover, so you got nothing to fear dropping the pan . Just don't over-tighten the bolts, and use a criss-cross pattern when putting the pan back on.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Pinky&theJeep
1981 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Moved your post into a new thread
Thanks, Im a bit frazzled right now, I'm surprized I didn't post it on some gardening website. At least I got close.

However, as for the timing cover I am so far out of the ball park I can't stand it.
Will the alignment of the timing cover with the vibration damper make the damper chew up the front of the cover where they meet in front?

What keeps them from touching to begin with? They don't look like they should be actaully touching. But now a second timing cover, with a new damper has been shaved off.

What the F%$@ am I missing? All I've seen is that if the timing cover isn't centered I'll have an oil leak. This is no oil leak. This is a shreaking noise as the damper shaves the front off of the cover. I just DON"T GET IT. I've looked at the tear-down pics. I don't see anything different. I found an oil slinger, which was missing fron the original engine, and installed that.

I'm going to get ANOTHER timing cover from spitfire on Monday.

Could the cam be bent or crooked? This is a brand new engine, and save the horrid screeching it sounds and runs GREAT. When it is together.

OK. I'm done.

Unread 08-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Pinky&theJeep
1981 CJ7 

OK, thank you to all of those who helped.. I dropped the oil pan...such a huge difference, and I took my 2 dampers and 2 timing covers over to Spitfire Engine (where btw they can dyno a 258) and Mark Logan, the owner looked at it and told me exactly what was wrong, the bolts on the pulley attached to the damper were too long.

Frustrated since a professional installed that particular part of the engine, I went home and ground off a third of the bolts, reassembled and it sounds AWESOME! I just need to get the fuel injection tuned or fixed or whatever it needs and I am a happy jeeper!

Thanks again
Unread 08-28-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Glad to hear you get it worked out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.