Howdy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Howdy

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Jbat

Howdy

I am planning a trip to keystone Colorado in mid November. I'll be taking my 97' Grand Cherokee 4x4. I'm sure there has got to be some really nice trails with some astounding views. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. Well be leaving Texas on November 9th and staying at the keystone resort. The jeeps fairly stock, just a 2" spacer lift, some MT tires, steering stabilizer, and a new motor

Jbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't expect to be able to do a whole lot of trail riding at that time of year, although winters up here have been outta whack the past decade or so. It's very likely you're going to see snow on the ground and many of your higher passes are going to be closed.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
3Dog

Agreed. November is a little late in the season at that elevation, but you may get lucky given the milder winters of late.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If open there is a GREAT network of trails just down the road heading south out of Keystone.

#1 - 5 miles down the road is the little town of Montezuma. From there you can access Deer Creek, Webster Pass and a multitude of trails they connect with.

#2 - not quite as far down the same road out of Keystone is a turnoff that is access to the Peru Valley network of trails. I have never done these.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Monte...orado&t=m&z=13

Most of the trails all easy enough for your vehicle IF there has not been a major snow..

Find them here:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=163
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=378
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=50

Jim

Top of Webster Pass - notice the mountain goat waliking around
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
turbospartan
2012 WK 

I just did part of the Saints John Trail yesterday. Only made it up to the switchbacks right after the Wild Irishmen Mine. Good trail (I did it in my WK2 with 20" wheels) with a few rocky sections and multiple stream crossings.

Like others said... not sure how much will be open in November.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Hey Jbat, I'm a little late to the party but still a couple months before your trip, so I figured I'd chime in. The high mountains of Colorado can be treacherous in the winter, so whatever trails you do please be sufficiently prepared to survive overnight in subzero temperatures. In a bad situation, you won't be able to run your vehicle for heat (carbon monoxide danger).

If you decide to tackle a snow-covered trail, make sure you don't go further than you are able to hike in a couple hours. For vehicle recovery, make sure you have a full-size shovel and a winch or Hi-Lift jack with the requisite shackles and tree straps. For personal survival, avoid wearing any cotton and make sure you have completely waterproof exterior layers. Wool socks are a great choice and should be paired with high-ankle waterproof boots.

And perhaps most importantly, plan ahead and make sure someone knows which trails you'll be doing, when you'll be back, and the phone number of the Sheriff in the area. Even though you aren't far from Keystone, you won't get cell reception in a lot of those valleys. It's best not to travel alone, and if you're looking for someone to join you on the trail I can hook you up with some guys who would probably love to do some snowbashing with you!

-Seth

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

All of the above and bring your skis!
jeep-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Jbat

Wow that is very insightful. Im going to have to do a lot of work to the jeep before it's ready for that. Being from Texas I don't own a jacket even, much less wool socks. Time to go shopping !!!
Jbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yeah, offroading up here is a lot different than down south. While you may run into a little mud, its going to be snow that time of the year, as well as cold weather and rocks. Yesterday am while outside Aspen taking pictures at 8500ft(guessing), my feet were about frozen standing out there for a few hours. It was likely hovering in the 20s. Temps can swing wildly, as can the weather. I saw heavy snow fall, bright sun, cold temps and highs in the 60s in the same day. Need to make sure you have decent tires etc. Read what others have said and consider it gospel.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok
Read what others have said and consider it gospel.
But most importantly, just try to avoid going out there alone. If you're on Meetup.com, search for Colorado Jeep People and join the group. You'll be able to create a new meetup and you'll get at least a couple people joining you who are more prepared and experienced in the high country.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post
But most importantly, just try to avoid going out there alone. If you're on Meetup, search for Colorado Jeep People and join the group. You'll be able to create a new meetup and you'll get at least a couple people joining you who are more prepared and experienced in the high country.
Absolutely +1 on that. Even locals should really run with others, but an out of state driver with no experience with high altitude and the issues that go with it, medically and mechanically, you need someone to go with you.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.