headed to Salida area for a week - feedback on trails + anything i should know? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > headed to Salida area for a week - feedback on trails + anything i should know?

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Question headed to Salida area for a week - feedback on trails + anything i should know?

myself and some people form Offroad Passport are headed to the Salida area to wheel mostly the Southern Sawatch range for a week (7/28 - 8/4).

we will have a variety of different rigs with different setups, the stock rigs won't be trying Chinamen. we are there for the wheeling but also the scenery and the mining history. with that in mine, here are our current trail plans:
  • Day 1 - Chinaman Gulch
  • Day 2 - Mt. Antero, Browns Lake & possibly Baldwin Lakes or Boulder Mountain
  • Day 3 - Hancock Pass, Pomeroy Lakes / Mary Murphy Mine, Alpine Tunnel, Tomichi Pass
  • Day 4- day off from wheeling
  • Day 5 - Poncha Creek, Rawley Mine / Bonanza & Marshall Pass
  • Day 6 - Hayden Pass, Billings Lake & Taylor Mountain

on day 4 we are all going our separate ways to do whatever. some people might still wheel. my family and i are probably going to the Royal Gorge park that day.

the only problem i've found so far is it appears that the Pomeroy trail is closed? not a big deal as that was going to be a long day without the side trip anyway.

just wanting to get feedback on the trail selection and find out if there is anything i need to know besides the stage 2 fire restrictions? we're watching the net for any new fires, so far our area looks clear still. i talked to the NF ranger and he said they've been getting a little rain actually in that area.

thanks in advance, Kristoffer

theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
theksmith
2003 WJ 

forgot to mention, if anyone from the area wants to wheel with us any of the days, just post up and we'll coordinate a place to meet
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sounds like fun. Did you look on bushducks about pomeroy? What about tincup? I'm working, and dont have a trailrig up to what you guys are going to do at the moment,lol.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm also going to be there soon (not the same time as you). I'm going on Hancock Pass, Alpine Tunnel, and Tincup, for one. Also going to drive Mosquito Pass out of Leadville.

I've been told by my brother who lives out there to visit Mt. Princeton Hot Springs.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
I'm also going to be there soon (not the same time as you). I'm going on Hancock Pass, Alpine Tunnel, and Tincup, for one. Also going to drive Mosquito Pass out of Leadville.

I've been told by my brother who lives out there to visit Mt. Princeton Hot Springs.
and you didint tell me you better let me know so we can hook up.
om a side note im headed to salida but not getting there until the 4th
Unread 07-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I wish I could join you but I have plans that weekend already.

Check www.traildamage.com if you haven't already. There is a couple trails in that area (I thought Alpine Tunnel was one) that are only open in August.

Grizzly Lake and Iron Chest are two fun ones to hit up if you have time.
Unread 07-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I might be in for Chinaman if I'm not out of town.
Unread 07-25-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
I might be in for Chinaman if I'm not out of town.
kewl! we'll be at the air down area for Chinaman on Sunday between 10 and 10:30 am if all goes according to plan. let me know whether we should look for you.

i'm leaving saturday morning from phoenix, so if anyone else is thinking of meeting us for any trails next week, let me know asap - thanks!
Unread 07-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My wife and I will be in the same area at the same time. We have some friends that let us stay in their cabin in Pitkin for a week. We will be there from 7/28 - 8/4. We have been able to stay a week in this area around the first of August for the past 6 years. We would be interested in trail riding with you. You have selected some nice trails and we have driven all of them numerous times. Is your group camping and if so, where? Our cabin is located on the FS road between Pitkin and Cumberland Pass. Sunday and Monday we have plans with other people we have met from past adventures in the area, but after Monday, we are game for anything. Let me know more about your plans and where we could possibly meet up. Phone service is terrible in this area so for us, it would be better to make plans in advance.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #10
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymguyjeep View Post
My wife and I will be in the same area at the same time. We have some friends that let us stay in their cabin in Pitkin for a week. We will be there from 7/28 - 8/4. We have been able to stay a week in this area around the first of August for the past 6 years. We would be interested in trail riding with you. You have selected some nice trails and we have driven all of them numerous times. Is your group camping and if so, where? Our cabin is located on the FS road between Pitkin and Cumberland Pass. Sunday and Monday we have plans with other people we have met from past adventures in the area, but after Monday, we are game for anything. Let me know more about your plans and where we could possibly meet up. Phone service is terrible in this area so for us, it would be better to make plans in advance.
sent you a PM, hope we can meet up!
Unread 07-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Dont forget the wheeler geologic area.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
bvjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well talking to Gymguyjeep tonight and sounds like its gonna ba a Jeep date on Sunday. Hope you guys can make it. Talking to him you had mentioned Chinaman's Gulch. This is a trail that has gotten harder over the past few years. 6 years ago you could do it with a stock wrangler with only a few areas that were challenging for a stocker. Now it has gotten harder. My recomendations on Chinaman's is a minimum of 33" tires and a lift of some sorts. Lockers are not required but you will want to disconnect your swaybars. After talking to him it sounded like you had decided against running it though. On sunday we are going to go over to Taylor park and do Italian Mountain and some other parts in the area. Will be a fun trip and a full day trip too. This should be fine for stock Jeeps and will still be fun for the bigger ones. For those coming along we would like to meet at the City Market parking lot at 9:30 so we can leave by 10:00. Gymguyjeep is meeting us on the other side.
For those meeting up with me here is a pic of my Jeep
rockpile.jpg   img_1323.jpg  

Remember: It Aint Perdy Till It's Dirty!!!!!
Colorado Jeep Member #1999
bvjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'll agree it's gotten harder. I did every obstacle without lockers on 35's." I used to make it pretty easy on 33's unlocked but bypassed the staircase.

A pic on the staircase this year.
image-1920969986.jpg  
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
bvjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea we went and played on it last Sunday. the first squeeze is getting a bit more challenging. I usually go right through it, now you have to really watch the rock on the left. As you go through it, it wants to push you into it. I had a bit of damage from it too. LOL

OOPS I think we hi-jacked a thread. Oh well

Remember: It Aint Perdy Till It's Dirty!!!!!
Colorado Jeep Member #1999
bvjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #15
beardown

if people are driving from denver to salida then the wheeler lakes trail between fairplay, mmmmmmkay, and breck has some big league obstacles that are at the very beginning of the trail!! would may be fun for people to take on the 1st 2 obstacles of wheeler, turn around, and keep on truckin toward salida area!!! just an idea!! wheeler lakes is no joke
beardown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.