Goin to colorado with an achin in my heart. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Goin to colorado with an achin in my heart.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
STEELHORSE6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lightbulb Goin to colorado with an achin in my heart.

Hey all, Im a long term transplant from Idaho (Salmon) stuck in Oklahoma, im looking to make a week trip to Co in the 2nd week of Oct. I need some time away from the flatlands and some mountians and trees and rivers etc..

Im looking for advise on what to do where to go, plan on camping as much as possible, but ill probably want to stay the night in a hotel or whatnot once in awhile. I was stationed in Colorado Springs when I was in the Army and loved it but I had no car at the time and the other guys I was friends with werent very outdoorsy. Im looking at making a stayover in the Springs for about a day and then going to Estes park. Ill be in the Jeep with my girlfreind, can you guys reccomend some places to go, things to see, roads to drive etc.

Thanks!!

STEELHORSE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Hey from a sooner transplant! We moved out from tulsa in 2010, to the springs, and do not miss that heat you are going thru right now. With the second week of october, the weather could be cold or warm, dry, wet, or snowy. Keep in mind that the first elk season is somewhere close to then, and motels may be full, but then again they may not. The trailridge road will likely be closed in RMNP by then, but it's still worth the visit while in Estes. There's likely to be some trails open still, and you may want to check them out. Take a look at bushducks.com. As far as what you can go see, sky is the limit on that, not sure what you are into.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
STEELHORSE6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Kickass, glad to meet ya!

yeah, i wanted to go in sept so itd be nice during the day and cool at night, maybe catch a bit of a snow dusting if anything, but my side job is nonexistant in august making the money thing tight, i dont even know if ill make it to Estes park. im planning a overnight in the springs but from what I understand the fires have made it less than desirable for a vacation spot this year, might try and do pikes peak again or GOG. I actually entertained the thought of putting my Softail Deluxe on a trailer to do some riding but probably not. Ive actually been looking into jobs in Colorado, but Police jobs arent all that common, unless you want to live in Denver..

Like I said i need mountians trees and lakes and streams and Colorado is alot closer than Idaho or Montana. I plan on trying to camp, but after my divorce a few years back my camping gear was sold off so Im going to have to get a few things anyway. I was looking for a nice easy trail or two with back country camping at the end.
Unread 08-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

The waldo fire damage is confined to the rampart road corridor, rampart resevoir, and a leg that went east into town north of GoGs park. Manitou is still every bit as wierd,lol, etc., so it really didn't have a huge impact unless you were to camp in that area.
Unread 08-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
FunTreks
2012 JK Wrangler 

Bushducks is a great resource for trail conditions, so definitely check them before your trip. There are dozens of trails that remain open all year in both northern & southern CO, so it really depends on what towns you'll be near.
FunTreks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

funtreks didnt come out and say it, but the books he(they) put out are really good to have, so you may want to order the one for the south part of the state, and one for the north.
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

As you mention Estes, the Pole Hill trail, close to Estes, is a decent, shortish trail. Make a stop at an overlook or two.

I asked a similar question on a local 4x4 forum for "which scenic trail" and this is a list that came up:
Wheeler Lake, Brody, Classic trail, can be bumpy & slow
Twin Cone, supposedly graded, stellar views
Red Cone
Bill Moore Lake
Mill Creek Loop
Duck Creek
Grizzly Lake, pretty tame after the first challenging obstacle, pretty area
Peru Creek
Swan Lake
St John's Mine
Georgia pass
Yankee Hill
St Mary's Glacier
Kingston Peak

I promote and like the FunTrek's books (have NoCo, SoCo, Moab) though www.TrailDamage.com is another good resource available.

You can list trails by many categories (scenic, difficulty, etc) and they have a google maps function showing trail locations respective to the state.
http://www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php

To start a scenery sort (select Colorado for the state). Most scenic looks to be at the bottom of the list (least scenic at the top).
http://www.traildamage.com/search.php?s=scenery

EDIT:
Trail T-33a, south of Estes Park a bit might be of interest if you're into airplane wreckage.

Some info from my 2012 visit:
http://www.JimWilliamson.net/automob...l--bunce-t33a/
JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
STEELHORSE6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

awesome resources!!!

im not looking for difficulty, just scenic views, I can get stuck or roll over in Oklahoma at the drop of a hat..lol
Unread 08-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Lol, cmon now man, you got that huge mountain range near ya down there, the Arbuckles. Theres a steep grade even, 4%,lol. I've been on the other side of redcone, via Geneva Creek, it has remnants of old mines, and a ghost town. Theres a couple of water crossings, but I made the trip in a bone stock Liberty. You can make that easily. Some nice spots to camp there too. Its SW of Denver off US285. Theres a number of trails in that area actually, you'll see them in the funtreks book. You can buy them locally here btw, if you need one when you get up here.
Unread 08-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Go to Estes, stay at the Stanley (gotta do it at least once in your life) and enjoy the area. Should have elk rut going on in Rocky Mtn Natl Park, if I recall correctly. That is another of those "have to experience" things - standing on the side of the road in full dark, with no lights while a herd of horny elk walk past...pretty amazing.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
STEELHORSE6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

hey now, theres plenty of great trails in Ok...and 125 degree heat.

Thanks guys, Ive been looking at the stuff on traildamage.com, im still not sure how far north ill be able to make it, money is a huge concern right now.
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Can understand the money thing, for sure. Down by where the wife is from, there is some pretty well known trails around Clayton. Right now, with that god awful heat, I wouldn't be out offroading, risking a breakdown, that's for sure. Theres a few trails off old stage/gold camp right here in town, as well as across southpark, and up by Bailey
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
STEELHORSE6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

it looks likw i wont be going as far north as estes park, plan on staying around the springs thn venturing into arapaho natl forest, still gonna be camping and such

My ride is my daily and thus i dont go to disney or clayton, too much stuff to tear stuff up.
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

So... just curious as to why you are stuck on the Springs area? I know you said you were stationed there for a while, and that it's hard to find a job on the police force unless you look at Denver. But maybe you SHOULD look at Denver. There are so many trails that are very near Denver and if you can manage to get on the force there, I think you'd be more than pleased. Denver has several suburbs that are even closer to the mountains and all the things we love. If you haven't spent much time in the areas outside of the Springs, I would suggest that you check it out before making a move here. Colorado Springs was the first city we considered when we moved here from FL. But after we went north a few times, we changed our minds.

Just food-for-thought!
jeep-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
STEELHORSE6
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i dont really want to be in that big of a department, i prefer a mid sized town im 35 and got into this career later in life im not that competitive in the processes for bigger departments anyway.

Im not stuck on anything, its just the only area I know, the suburbs close to Denver seem to be alot harder to get on with than I thought. Besides, this is just a vacation not a job search.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.